PDA

View Full Version : Duramax hop-up?

No Regrets
09-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Since price on gas has dropped (finally!), I'm thinkin about hangin on to the smoker. Was thinkin about Banks exhaust & 6 gun, mainly because they say they will supercede the warranty if anything fails? My main concern is reliablity.
Opinions good & bad on Banks or Edge, BRP, etc.
Need to wake it up if Im gonna keep it.
Fire away.

cudaz101
09-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Since price on gas has dropped (finally!), I'm thinkin about hangin on to the smoker. Was thinkin about Banks exhaust & 6 gun, mainly because they say they will supercede the warranty if anything fails? My main concern is reliablity.
Fire away.
I am a dealer of Banks gear and can get their products at great prices. They are one of the most boosted retail products around because of their reputation. Anyways I can get you their product for less than anyone on the net or otherwise more than likely.
I saw a TRUCKS show on outdoor life network and they used the 6-Gun Banks setup with the Banks exauhst. The results were staggering to say the least. They did a Propane setup by Bulley Dog on the same show. Pretty crazy power...
I think Banks is the way to go because they do ALOT of research and development on their gear before they put it in a box and sell it.
Cheers,
Brad

WannabeRacing
09-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I guess the question would be- how wild do you want to go?
A simple programmer will increase your milage and performance a surprising amount. You can run most programmers low enough to not need exhaust temps and new exhaust systems. If you have the funds and have the desire, you can go wild. New turbos, propane, engine management systems, etc.
Lots of good brands. Lots of reasons to use one or the other. I won't start that war. But decide what you want, then upgrade acccordingly.
I know that with just a good cold air intake and a simple programmer will run in the mid 15's in the quarter mile, at 87mph in a crew cab dually with passengers, the air on, and tools.

TOBTEK
09-21-2006, 01:28 PM
YEP.....Its time to wake mine up as well. wish there another truck I liked better. guess I'll keep mine and do some mods. in my 04 HD, had the Edge juice with attitute only, was was very impressed! that 04 will SMOKE this 05. My brother has the same 04 with edge and exhaust system to TRY to lower the EGT's... dont know if the exhaust was worth the $$$ didnt do much of anything at all. I think an Edge or compairable computer and cold air system is the ticket. Did have the Edge product fail twice, the company did have great customer service. No questions asked, shipped new units to R&R.

sigepmock
09-21-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm running the Diablo Sport Predator on the 65 hp tune and it's been very reliable and very drivable. It's a hand held that allows you to tune it, change speedo for tire size changes, and read Engine codes.
I prefer this over the Edge because it actually reprograms the ECM vs just intercepting info and "tricking" the ecm. It also returns to stock in about 5 min. Also the Edge doesn't allow for tire size changes.
This and a good 4" cat back exhaust with an EGT and boost guage and you're set. Good power, good mpg, and very reliable.
Just my $.02,
Chris

LAFD
09-21-2006, 03:33 PM
now do all these programmers void warrantys?

djunkie
09-21-2006, 03:40 PM
now do all these programmers void warrantys?
Depends who you talk to. I've asked this before and could never get a simple yes or no answer. Everyone has a different opinion on it. I guess if you know someone at a dealer they can turn their head and fix anything for you anyways. :rollside:

djunkie
09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm running the Diablo Sport Predator on the 65 hp tune and it's been very reliable and very drivable. It's a hand held that allows you to tune it, change speedo for tire size changes, and read Engine codes.
I prefer this over the Edge because it actually reprograms the ECM vs just intercepting info and "tricking" the ecm. It also returns to stock in about 5 min. Also the Edge doesn't allow for tire size changes.
This and a good 4" cat back exhaust with an EGT and boost guage and you're set. Good power, good mpg, and very reliable.
Just my $.02,
Chris
Did you notice a big rise in EGT's after that programmer?

LAFD
09-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Depends who you talk to. I've asked this before and could never get a simple yes or no answer. Everyone has a different opinion on it. I guess if you know someone at a dealer they can turn their head and fix anything for you anyways. :rollside:
same here cant get a definite answer. but i figure the dealer is lookin for anything to void warrantys so they dont have to pay.

djunkie
09-21-2006, 03:53 PM
same here cant get a definite answer. but i figure the dealer is lookin for anything to void warrantys so they dont have to pay.
From my experience, most dealers don't care cause they get reimburssed. But some might be too honest and turn you away. Thats why it helps to have a buddy as a service writer. :rollside: :rollside:

sigepmock
09-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Did you notice a big rise in EGT's after that programmer?
With the Predator Version 2.02 I am right at the stock egt's....1200's max most of the time. Towing the new boat out in 100 degree weather across the 40 with the cruise set at 75mph, the boat weighing 8500lbs or so I did get out of it a little on the big hill before the construction but I was hiiting a 20mph head wind. EGT's were creeping up on 1300 so I backed off to 70 and they dropped below 1200. the first version of the predator had egt's way up there but they have since re-adjusted and the EGT's are in line...better than the Edge even.
Chris

sigepmock
09-21-2006, 08:10 PM
As far as warranty....most dealer run a tech 2 or 3 scanner and those can't see if a programmer has been in the system..or more correctly most servicer tech's don't know how to look for it. So for most warranty issues the dealer nerver knows if you had a programmer or not...now if you blow an engine or tranny...they might take the time to look it up and see if anything was in there...the way to get around this is to have a friend that has the GM tuner and can eturn your ECM to "completely" erase and all evidence.... :crossx:

Beer-30
09-21-2006, 08:18 PM
When I get mine next year (new body style), I plan on looking real hard at Banks. I like the idea of the larger intercooler, exhaust, programmer, intake, etc all being made by the same MFG and dynoed together. A coupla grand and it's done from front to rear with no conflict issues.

No Regrets
09-22-2006, 09:24 AM
When I get mine next year (new body style), I plan on looking real hard at Banks. I like the idea of the larger intercooler, exhaust, programmer, intake, etc all being made by the same MFG and dynoed together. A coupla grand and it's done from front to rear with no conflict issues.
Does banks allow or adj for tire size? I think Banks is the only company so far, that says they will override the mfg warranty if anything fails. Will Predator or Edge?

TOBTEK
09-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Does banks allow or adj for tire size? I think Banks is the only company so far, that says they will override the mfg warranty if anything fails. Will Predator or Edge?
I had a fuel injection issue last year. First thing mr sercvice advisor asked was " do you have any aftermarket programers?" said they void the warranty. Thats why im not doing this stuff till the warranty expires.

No Regrets
09-22-2006, 10:31 AM
I had a fuel injection issue last year. First thing mr sercvice advisor asked was " do you have any aftermarket programers?" said they void the warranty. Thats why im not doing this stuff till the warranty expires.
Your gonna wait till 100K?

HighVoltage 329
09-22-2006, 11:11 AM
I tried the Hipertech chip with the banks exaust. The truck would go into limp mode when climbimg a hill towing our toy haller. I tried changing to the lowest setting and it still did it. I removed the program and took it to the dealer and told them it was going into limp mode, they couldn't find a problem. I asked about running a chip and said it would void the warantee. I no longer run a chip.
P.S. The exaust sounds good but you loose engine breaking.
I like to play conservitive on my tow vehicle.

TOBTEK
09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Your gonna wait till 100K?
come on..... THIS IS THE LONGEST IVE ever owned a truck. 1st truck im going to have to buy tires from being worn out. gonna pump it up after the 36,000 miles warranty. its an old 05 :cool:

HammerDown
09-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Fire away.
Question, what does "Gas" have to do with a Duramax? :rollside:

No Regrets
09-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Question, what does "Gas" have to do with a Duramax? :rollside:
lol

cactusgolfcarts
09-25-2006, 07:59 AM
I did the Banks exhaust on my 06 LBZ Duramax. It makes a noticeable difference in throttle response and a little better mileage. I wanted to do this first, then the ram air intake when it becomes available. I love the truck.

shippingguy
09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
I have the Bully Dog Power Pup on my 06. I talked with the dealership and as long as you program the truck back to stock before you take it to the dealer they cannot tell you had a programmer on the truck. The programmer saves all your stock information. You are safe. I went in and had a new EGR put in my truck and they had to go in and clear codes. No issues at all.

sigepmock
09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
The ECM on these trucks is just a computer with lot's of files and tables, written in an encrypted code. The hand held programmers like Predator, Hypertech, Bully Dog, and the Banks stuff simply go in and save your factory stock settings, then they build on top of it...changing some timing here, swapping a table there...then they re-program the ECM with this new "Modified" program....when you want to go back to stock they take the saved stock tuning and re-install it back into the truck....just like transfering files from a disk back onto your hard drive. They even record the dates of the last transaction just like your computer at home. Most dealers don't have the equipment or the know how to go in and look at these dates to see when the files were written in last....
Now GM has issued a Technical Bulletin to all dealers telling them how and when to look for these changes.....say for instance you blow up your tranny or smoke a turbo. If the dealer wants they can take the time to look it up and see when the ECM was modified last....can they prove you had a power increasing programmer on there? No but they can give you a hard time about it. The key to success at the dealer with a truck that has had one of the programmers installed is to know this.....
1. If they ask if you had a programmer on there the answer is always "NO!"
2. Don't give them any reason to think there was a programmer on there....ie if you have the Edge with attitude remove the in dash monitor too or run a hand held like the Predator, the truck looks stock and so does the ECM unless they dig deeper.
3. Go to or find a dealer that is less likely to dig for stuff like this. The dealer by me knows most of us add the programmers and unless they can see a direct correlation between the warranty issue and the programmer then they usually turn their head the other way.
I think the key is to stay conservative on your power adders...I run the 65hp tune on the Predator...there is an 85 hp tune and a 100hp tune available but they are simply asking for trouble...same with the Edge....stay on three or lower.
Chris

BeaverJ
09-25-2006, 02:30 PM
No Regrets, what year is your truck, I have a brand new Edge w/Attitude, for the LB7 Motor,,01-04 that I am going to sell,,,Jason

rude235
09-26-2006, 06:33 AM
i'm not a big fan of shamless spam but you guys were talking about it so check here.........www.rude-performance.com
there is a host of other pieces/parts available that have not yet made onto the site. so if you need/want something just ask i may be able to get it.

No Regrets
09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
No Regrets, what year is your truck, I have a brand new Edge w/Attitude, for the LB7 Motor,,01-04 that I am going to sell,,,Jason
mine is a 2005, sorry

SBC 4 LIFE
10-09-2006, 10:51 PM
go with the bullydog tripple dog. best one out there in my opinion. the other couple guys were right, it takes about 2 mins to take the program off of your truck and around 8-10 mins to install it and its very easy it asks a couple questions and your done. take it out when you go to dealer, it DOES NOT burn your computer, they never know it was in there, you take the truck in with a problem and it has the program in it, ur screwed!!!! my buddy sells them always keeps them in stock. hes in brea, imzzindustries.com call him if your interested. good luck and be ready to throw some black smoke!!

dieseldog
10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
As far as Banks standing behind your warranty if the MFG backs out, GOOD LUCK! Typical Banks propaganda. I have fixed many vehicles that they let the customers down. One of my favorite claims that they make is "automatic fuel backdown if trans slips" Well, if the trans is already slipping, its too late!!! I dont care what anyone says, it cannot backdown before the trans slips because you cannot "predict" slip!! We did back to back testing on their intercooler for the dmax, at the dyno, and at the track. No improvement. They have a big name and everyone trusts them, but their products are not the best, IMO.
I prefer the programmers that recalibrate the PCM. I suggest analog gauges, cat-back exhaust, and a hand-held programmer. It is all good when you have the edge, or banks and have all this crap all over the truck, but its a pain when you have to bring it in for warranty work. If you just have gauges, you can reprogram to stock, and you're ready to go. Also, with the banks or edge, those units can sometimes fail and then you have to diagnose if the problem is the aftermarket device, the truck, or a harness connector.

HammerDown
10-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Sounds like the best advise is to leave a Diesel...alone. ;)
If ya want a Hot Rod go get a old Muscle car or a foreign tuner.

LHC30Victory
10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
EFI Live seems to be the hot ticket! fully programable and no hardware mods other than gauges, exhaust and intake.... It's not that much more than other devices either.....