PDA

View Full Version : Need help

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
06-04-2003, 05:54 PM
how do i split the v drive. Unbolted it used the botton screw to split case, but only the back came off. how do i get the front off?

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
06-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Never mind i got it

superdave013
06-04-2003, 06:03 PM
You need to take the top bearing out of the front case. It's real easy if you haveone of THESE. (http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48bearingpuller.jpg)
The back case should stay attached to the mounting plate. If you took the 2 allen bolts out then put them back in.
Anyway yes, the bottom bolt is what splits the cases.
Tip, bearing caps and outter case bolts have different threads. Don't mix them up.
The gears have spacers on them. Don't mix up the top and bottom spacers.

GofastRacer
06-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Also make sure you keep track of your end cap gaskets, you may have a different amount on each cap!.. :)

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
06-04-2003, 09:04 PM
NO gaskets in this deal :mad: The guy that had it before me used rvt.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
06-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Found metal and milky oil in the case. :( Going to try to take it to get fixed and set up before Fathersday :confused:

Kindsvater Flat
06-04-2003, 09:07 PM
CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
NO gaskets in this deal :mad: The guy that had it before me used rvt. Mine only had the main case gaskets. There were no others.

Ian
06-04-2003, 10:02 PM
The gaskets GofastRacer is talking about are used to set the tolerances between the cap and bearings, I believe it is pretty crucial that they are set-up with the right amount. Before we rebuilt our v-drive we were able to get the bearing out with two flat heads prying from opposing sides. Not the best way I know but the bearing slid out with ease.

GN117 Big Dawg
06-05-2003, 12:02 AM
CAL PERF!!!!!!!DO NOT REASSEMBLE THAT V DRIVE WITH THAT SILICON SEALER OR ANYTHING ELSE.
NOT UNTIL YOU OR SOME ONE YOU KNOW AND TRUST CAN CLEARANCE AND BLUE PRINT THE TOLERANCES IN IT.
THOSE FINE LITTLE "GASKETS" ARE NOT---REPEAT---NOT GASKETS!!!! THEY ARE SPACER SHIMS, THEY ARE RESPONSABLE FOR THE "CRUSH" ON THE HOUSING, PLATES, SHAFTS AND SPACERS.
THE ONLY MATERIAL THAT SHOULD EVER EVER BE USED FOR ASSEMBLY OR REASSEMBLY IS WHITE LITHIUM GREASE. BEFORE YOUR GUY DOES THE FINAL ASSEMBLY AFTER BLUE PRINTING, PLEASE ASK HIM TO I.D. STAMP EACH SPACER AND GEAR FOR LOCATION AND ROTATION. ASK HIM FOR HIS EXACT DIMENSIONS AND THICKNESSES FOR HIS SHIM COUNT AND PUT THOSE FIGURES IN YOUR "BOOK" FOR FUTURE REFERANCE. YOU WILL ALSO GAIN TONS OF DEPENDABILITY AND PREDICTABILITY OF WEAR IF YOU "READ" THE SHIMS WHEN YOU CHANGE GEARS, THEN REFER BACK TO YOUR BOOK FOR YOUR NUMBERS. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TRACK YOUR WEAR RATES THS WAY. BE SURE YOUR GUY MAGNIFLUX'S YOUR INPUT AND OUTPUT SHAFTS BEFORE HE REASSEMBLE THE THING AFTER BEING BLUEPRINTED.
I OFFER THIS INPUT TO YOU FROM MANY MANY YEARS OF INBOARD ENDURANCE RACING, GOOD LUCK I HOPE I CAUGHT YOU IN TIME! CYA!
[ June 05, 2003, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: GN117 Big Dawg ]

GN117 Big Dawg
06-05-2003, 12:28 AM
Cal Perf, I just noticed yoou are from So Cal! FYI I use Phil Stock @ Phil & Mike Stock Racing Engines in Orange for blueprinting my GN v drive.
I have NEVER had a v drive failure since Phil has done my gear box. Phil is a great guy with tons of racing experiance, he his very reasonable too!

Rexone
06-05-2003, 02:00 AM
These guys are correct, listen to them. Get some assistance if you don't know how to properly clearance the box. Silicone don't get it. There's several guys around depending on what area of So Cal you're in. :)

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
06-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Went to Ron Braaksma place and he set me up with everything to rebuild my vdrive. Real nice guy, good teacher.Could of sold me a bunch of other crap but just gave me what I needed. He wanted me to rebuild it and walked me through it. Then said if i mess it up or can't get it to bring it back and he would show me. Nice to met a guy that will take time to teach the little, low buck guy. :D

GofastRacer
06-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Yep Ron's a good guy, always ready to help!.. :cool: