PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you use yellopages.com or aol.com to search for

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 02:16 PM
business listings? I am considering expanding my companies internet presence in the search engines and would like to know if any of you use this service. It is an AT&T search engine for businesses and maybe even residence listings. I am not interested in the residence listings.
Any feedback would be appreciated.....

ChumpChange
09-22-2006, 02:32 PM
I often use yellowpages.com for listings although generally just to find phone numbers I misplaced. I do not use it to find, let's say a plumber, landscaper or something like that. That is what the hot boat forums are for.

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 02:33 PM
I often use yellowpages.com for listings although generally just to find phone numbers I misplaced. I do not use it to find, let's say a plumber, landscaper or something like that. That is what the hot boat forums are for.
:)
I don't conduct any business here on HB.

ChumpChange
09-22-2006, 02:40 PM
:)
But in all seriousness, that was really an honest answer, even somewhat the HB part. I do use them.

Her454
09-22-2006, 02:40 PM
That is what the hot boat forums are for.
Speaking of that.....how come ***boat does not have a member directory that we can refer to first for services?
Members can list their business info etc and if they would offer discounts to ***boaters. Even if they didnt, I'd rather go to a member first before a stranger for services that I needed.
Could be a Forum in itself. Wonder if HB would go for it?
Oh, and no I dont use that Tom, I use HB. :rollside:

ChumpChange
09-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Could be a Forum in itself. Wonder if HB would go for it?
It's called the yellowpages forums. :D :D :D

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Oh, and no I dont use that Tom, I use HB. :rollside:
Thanks T...........
I am also considering dropping some serious coin monthly to get some type of preference regarding google listings also.
Also, I am dropping our Yellow Page ads. Don't get many calls from them anymore and will just go with the free listings and bold them up.

superdave013
09-22-2006, 02:50 PM
I use google for everything pretty much.
If I was looking for your company phone number I'd put the name, city and state in google and it always pops up. Most of the time it is the yellow page site that comes up though.

Her454
It's called the yellowpages forums. :D :D :D
I need to go home, I actually went and looked for that forum :rolleyes: :rollside:
Thanks T...........
I am also considering dropping some serious coin monthly to get some type of preference regarding google listings also.
Google is the bomb. :)

squirt'nmyload
business listings? I am considering expanding my companies internet presence in the search engines and would like to know if any of you use this service. It is an AT&T search engine for businesses and maybe even residence listings. I am not interested in the residence listings.
Any feedback would be appreciated.....
i've never really used online yellow pages(for anything local)....usually i dig up the ol' book and look the old fashioned way. http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/gap.gif

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 02:52 PM
I use google for everything pretty much.
If I was looking for your company phone number I'd put the name, city and state in google and it always pops up. Most of the time it is the yellow page site that comes up though.
It would be used mostly by new customers. Usually they are going to search by the type of business they are looking for.

ChumpChange
09-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Tom:
I don't know what you do although I think it has something to do with phones but one of my good freinds owns a plumbing company. I don't think his company might compare to what sales/service industry you are in but he gets a lot of calls from the phone books. It probably has a lot to do with his industry but it does go to show you that people without boats do use the yellowpages.
I think getting highly ranked on yahoo or google would be much better though as those would be the first sites I think of even prior to yellowpages.

superdave013
09-22-2006, 02:53 PM
check it out
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=sweet+performance+products%2C+Placentia%2C+CA
Now that's hard to beat. Figgen map and everything. Woot! :)
Now on the other hand I was buying clicks on google. I have it on hold right now for a few months just to see the difference. I am thinking about trying either Yahoo or MSN next.

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
i've never really used online yellow pages(for anything local)....usually i dig up the ol' book and look the old fashioned way. http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/gap.gif
We have always asked where new customers get out number from. A lot are now getting it via the internet -vs- the yellow pages. We do business with corporate and business clients. We don't do any business with residential customers. I suspect more residential type clients use the YP -vs- business clients.
It is just about putting the advertising monies available in the most efficient medium out there. I know my Mom lives by the phone book but we don't want those calls :)

superdave013
09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
It would be used mostly by new customers. Usually they are going to search by the type of business they are looking for.
I would use google for that big time. Have you thought about buying google ads?

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 02:58 PM
I would use google for that big time. Have you thought about buying google ads?
Yes, I just need to get some rates and so forth to check it all out. I know I would use google personally before yellowpages.com
One thing I am certain about is that the YP ads are going away for us.

superdave013
09-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes, I just need to get some rates and so forth to check it all out. I know I would use google personally before yellowpages.com
One thing I am certain about is that the YP ads are going away for us.
rates change depending on how many want the spot and what you are willing to pay. The one who pays the most gets the top ranking. You can set a daily spending limit and a max per click limit. The key is getting your key words right.
If I have Brake hoses I'll get hits for people looking for hose and any type of brake park. If I have "brake hoses" then I only get hits when people type in that exactly.
It's pretty cool once you get it figured out.

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Tom:
I don't know what you do although I think it has something to do with phones but one of my good freinds owns a plumbing company. I don't think his company might compare to what sales/service industry you are in but he gets a lot of calls from the phone books. It probably has a lot to do with his industry but it does go to show you that people without boats do use the yellowpages.
I think getting highly ranked on yahoo or google would be much better though as those would be the first sites I think of even prior to yellowpages.
Phone systems, LAN & WAN installations, VOIP, ACD systems, automated attendant, voice mail, AT&T Solutions Provider, etc.......
Different kind of customers than a plumber, usually. We are not interested in the residential calls.

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 03:05 PM
rates change depending on how many want the spot and what you are willing to pay. The one who pays the most gets the top ranking. You can set a daily spending limit and a max per click limit. The key is getting your key words right.
If I have Brake hoses I'll get hits for people looking for hose and any type of brake park. If I have "brake hoses" then I only get hits when people type in that exactly.
It's pretty cool once you get it figured out.
Dave...If you have a contact name/number of someone I could talk to I would appreciate it. If so would you PM me the info.
Thanks
Tom

superdave013
09-22-2006, 03:05 PM
I want the local retail biz so I bought YP ads. But I understand why you don't want to.
Marketing is still pretty new to me. A guy who seems to have it figured out very well told me this. "Advertising is a 50/50 deal. Only 50% of it works but you never know what 50% that will be at any given time. lol

superdave013
09-22-2006, 03:07 PM
I did not talk to anyone. Just went to google and signed up for an account and read up on it.
http://www.google.com/intl/en/ads/

DILLIGAF
09-22-2006, 03:09 PM
I did not talk to anyone. Just went to google and signed up for an account and read up on it.
http://www.google.com/intl/en/ads/
Will do...Thanks

Riverless
09-22-2006, 03:51 PM
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is its own cottage industry. This forum has a lot of info, and an entire section on PPC, pay per click, which is what superdave is referring to with Google Adwords, have fun!
http://highrankings.com/forum/