PDA

View Full Version : oil pickup

shaun
09-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Trying to put the oil pickup in, it's the one for the dooley pan. This thing does not want to go in, i've taped on it a bit, pressed like hell, even heated the pump and now the pickup is stuck about 1/2" in the hole. How do you guys get these things in there? :)

shaun
09-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Also, i have a hi-vol oil pump, the instructions say i must use a steel sleeve and my book says i must replace the sleeve. I cant seam to find these on summit or jegs site, i have a arp oil pump shaft. Where can i get the one i need?

Rexone
09-23-2006, 06:46 AM
The inlet piece on the Dooley pickup is centerless ground to size. It should fit correctly. I'd check for any burrs on the pump inlet. I've always mounted the pump and just tapped them in with a small deadblow or brass hammer at mock up. Also if it's a stock pump like a Mellings the clearences should be checked and corrected if necessary (usually necessary).
To my knowledge the ARP shafts come with steel sleeves on them. The book is probably referring to replacing the stock plastic sleeve.

obnoxious001
09-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Many times the Dooley pickups are very tight. I don't think it's uncommon to have to massage them a bit on a belt sander(carefully, don't want it loose at all) to fit. I have had some that didn't want to fit into the pump regardless of how large a hammer I used.
Mike is right about the ARP shaft. What the note with the Mellings pump refers to is that the stock OEM shafts had plastic coupler sleeves.

MandDPerformance
09-23-2006, 08:53 AM
I've always had really good luck putting the pump in the oven and heating it to about 400 degrees and putting the pickup in the freezer. This makes the pump housing swell and the pickup housing shrink allowing you to put the two together. When both pieces become ambient you've got one hell of a strong press fit. :cool:
I've never had one come loose and you don't have to worry about things being ground out of round...

shaun
09-23-2006, 01:01 PM
I need get the pickup back out, i was pushing it in so hard that i'm stripping the zinc gold coating off.
The oven freezer sounds like a good idea.
Rex,
it is a melling hivol pump, what do you mean by checking clearances, are you talking about pulling the cover off and checking the clearance between the pump gears and housing?

ERV JR
09-23-2006, 03:15 PM
You Also Can Take A Split Collar And Put It Around The End Of The Pickup Next To The Lip And Hammer Around That

Moneypitt
09-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Be aware that the pick up may roll a burr or two in the cast iron pump housing. Not a big deal, except the burr may find its way into the gears. I usually have the cover off while installing the pick up, although some of the brackets make that a little tough. Which Mellings pump are you using? The 10777 has a screw in pick up, something that Dooley is resisting making as of about 6 months ago. They did however, make me up one while I waited. And yes, if the Melling isn't a 10777 you will have to check and adjust the end clearences as well as the squareness of the body to the cap. The 10777s that I've opened up and inspected were right on the money, no mods needed, which really shocked me, in a good way.........Now if we could convince the pan makers to start making screw in pick ups, our "pounding" days would be over. Mellings does offer stock type pick ups for these killer pumps, but they won't fit any of the aftermarket pans, yet......Also, when installing the distributor make sure it actually bottoms out on the manifold and not the pump cover. Double or tripple dist gaskets can/may be necessary to get the proper spacing. You don't want to push the drive gear into the cover.....Ray

JAY4SPEED
09-24-2006, 02:37 AM
Hope you removed the oil pressure relief spring and piston before you "heated up the pump" to install the pickup tube. If you didn't remove the spring, depending on how hot it got you can change the tension / temper of the oil pressure relief spring and the result will be lower oil pressure than normal. If you took it out before you heated up the pump, thats fine, if you didn't know and left it in, get a new one, don't reuse it.
I have seen one at the dealership one time where a guy rebuilt his own engine, he forced his pickup tube into the pump housing, causing the pickup tube to become distored in the area where it seats into the pump, the pump was sucking air from between the pickup tube and pump housing. He had airated oil and whipped it up like brown whipped cream. Goes without saying he wiped out the bearings. He replaced all the bearings reused the same oil pump setup and then wiped them out again. Thats when he brought the engine to us to figure out what he was doing wrong. We found the oil pump pickup problem right away after talking to him about the oil being airated. Be careful, take your time, and make positive that its in there correctly, that's way too critical of a part not to have it perfect. Good luck with it! :)
I thought I remember a tool company had made a special tool for seating pickups in oil pump, kind of looked like a crowsfoot line wrench with an extension that you tapped on with a hammer. I need to see if I can find it and post it up.
Jay

obnoxious001
09-24-2006, 09:39 AM
I thought I remember a tool company had made a special tool for seating pickups in oil pump, kind of looked like a crowsfoot line wrench with an extension that you tapped on with a hammer. I need to see if I can find it and post it up.
Jay
Those tools work good on a stock type pickup, but the Dooley has no flange to work with.

JAY4SPEED
09-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Those tools work good on a stock type pickup, but the Dooley has no flange to work with.
Got ya, didn't realize that. Thanks! :)
Jay