PDA

View Full Version : car shifter for trim control

wrenchdaddy
01-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Anyone used an automatic transmission ratchet shifter for diverter control?? Im thinking this might be the cheapest rout becuase there are quite a few on ebay for fairly cheap.

Boatcop
01-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Only if the handle is a Hurst T-Bar.

BigBlockBaja
01-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Only if you hook up your neutral safety switch. Be safe. :crossx:

Oldsquirt
01-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Some things to consider. The Place control has seven adjustment positions. The "Tri-Metric" style (like what "flattie" posted pics of) has 9 positions. A typical car shifter will have only five. Second thing to consider is the total cable movement range. It will have to be well matched to the travel of the diverter if you expect to go from full-up to full-down. Finally, it will look out of place in a boat.

Moneypitt
01-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Sure, you could re engineer that shifter to work. But it would still be a car shifter. When all was said and done, all the lever length changes, etc., etc., You would be so far ahead to just find the right part for your diverter, do it once and be done.........I've seen those in salvaged boats that had the pump removed but the control was still there. Look a little harder..........MP

LakesOnly
01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Anyone used an automatic transmission ratchet shifter for diverter control?? Im thinking this might be the cheapest rout becuase there are quite a few on ebay for fairly cheap.Hey man, I got a few oustanding other ideas :D :
How about installing a power steering pump and using it as a hydraulic diverter control pump? :D
How about bolting up the automotive waterpump where it belongs on the engine but used it as a bilge pump? :D
How about putting a little paddle wheel on the alternator and then mounting it on the outside of the boat, paddle wheel touching the water? :D
Well that's all I can think of off the top of my head...anyone else? :D
LO

maxwedge
01-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Go with the steering column shifter. Way cooler. :crossx: Or you could always use the wheel height adjusters from a lawn mower. :D

BigBlockBaja
01-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Go with the steering column shifter. Way cooler. :crossx: Or you could always use the wheel height adjusters from a lawn mower. :D
Now wouldnt that be damn cool.... maybe like 3 on the tree? diverter down-straight-up.. thats it...
:rollside:

CARLSON-JET
01-17-2006, 02:45 AM
Whittle a diverter handle out of wood... R.B.

Red Horse
01-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Anything automotive you want in the tow vehicle. :rolleyes:

Wicked Performance Boats
01-17-2006, 04:56 AM
Just hook it to the gas pedal! That way the faster you go the higher the roost. Budlight :idea:

wrenchdaddy
01-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Very funny guys, I get the point, i guess it would look kinda dumb, guess I'll look harder.

AZKC
01-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey man, I got a few oustanding other ideas :D :
How about installing a power steering pump and using it as a hydraulic diverter control pump? :D
How about bolting up the automotive waterpump where it belongs on the engine but used it as a bilge pump? :D
How about putting a little paddle wheel on the alternator and then mounting it on the outside of the boat, paddle wheel touching the water? :D
Well that's all I can think of off the top of my head...anyone else? :D
LO
Hell I like all those ideas :) The paddle wheel alternator is a bit wet.

Cole1313
01-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Just hook it to the gas pedal! That way the faster you go the higher the roost. Budlight :idea:
I like this idea the best. Makes a lot of sense, ahahahahaha.

atxwrangler
01-17-2006, 11:20 AM
REDNECK PLEASE!!! LMAO :rollside:

BLOWN BBF
01-17-2006, 05:02 PM
We all got in a good shot . Now wonder over to you're neighbors garage and find him a good deal !!

taylormanss
01-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Very funny guys, I get the point, i guess it would look kinda dumb, guess I'll look harder.
wrenchdaddy use what you want to use don't let other's tell ya what to do it may work and I'm sure they are cheaper than place diverter controls.Do it your own way it's your boat!

wrenchdaddy
01-17-2006, 09:44 PM
well i was just shooting out ideas. I can't find controls anywhere! Place has them for 200 bucks, which is a little more than i want to spend on an aluminum stick. Can anbody help a brotha out?? I don;t care what it is i just want something that works.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-17-2006, 09:53 PM
I'll check the shelves tomorrow. Budlight

beerjet
01-17-2006, 09:53 PM
wrench I dont know if your in a time crunch but they do pop up on e-bay every so often and if you were in so. cal. this past weekend at the swapmeet there were quite a few guys out there sellin boat stuff. I guess if you have time one will come your way for cheap I bet.

sleekcrafter
01-17-2006, 09:54 PM
well i was just shooting out ideas. I can't find controls anywhere! Place has them for 200 bucks, which is a little more than i want to spend on an aluminum stick. Can anbody help a brotha out?? I don;t care what it is i just want something that works.
You might find something here that may work for you http://www.tewco.com/
Sleek

Bradf
01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Insert Another Noob question from BradF... Im going to gain a rep on the forums quick if i keep this up lol.
are a Place Diverter and a Jet-o-vator the same? Just for looks/showboating? (no pun)

sleekcrafter
01-17-2006, 09:58 PM
They do the same thing, but are different as well. The Place diverter works much better, and the more simple in design.
sleek

Bradf
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
So there is no advantage to having one at all other than to show how many horsies you have by making it go as high as possible (atleast thats what i always thought they were for when i watch the Jetter's try to squirt the cars passing over the Parker Bridge)

wrenchdaddy
01-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Would there be a cheap way to build my own hydraulic system from grainger or something liek that??

BigBlockBaja
01-17-2006, 10:11 PM
So there is no advantage to having one at all other than to show how many horsies you have by making it go as high as possible (atleast thats what i always thought they were for when i watch the Jetter's try to squirt the cars passing over the Parker Bridge)
Going high will slow ya down allot..... I notice a big difference, full throttle going from full up to the sweetspot.... its like another "gear"....
ya only need about a 4-5' tail at the most...

BigBlockBaja
01-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Would there be a cheap way to build my own hydraulic system from grainger or something liek that??
Do it right the first time.... Youll end up saving money..

Moneypitt
01-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Well they do allow the shown off aspect, but thet also allow you to trim the boat and gain speed and handling. They do have a purpose, and although the original designers may not have intended it, the higher the roost, the more attention you get, in some peoples minds..........I perfer the speed advantage they offer.............Oh, and you could help out a fellow boater that happened to be on FIRE............MP

Devilman
01-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Lookin around this morning & ran across this link. Might be able to get some helpful info or even the control parts ya need.....Panther Diverter Stuff (http://www.pantherjet.com/Jetovator.html)

wrenchdaddy
01-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Ya i've already talked to Cas about the diverter control they sell from panther, its basically the same as the reverse handle, it doesn;t have any locking positions, you have to hold it in place.

hellman2u
01-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Ray Defir @ www.raysoncraftboats.com used to sell custom made manual diverter controls and they used to be a lot less $$

Devilman
01-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Ya i've already talked to Cas about the diverter control they sell from panther, its basically the same as the reverse handle, it doesn;t have any locking positions, you have to hold it in place.
Shit! You just reminded me. I was gonna call a place close to me, see if they had any used controllers. Gimme a few, I'll let ya know....

Devilman
01-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Mike's Pump & Speed is who I called, Wrenchdaddy. They used to be in Houston, but moved to Plantersville recently, so a bunch of their stuff is still in storage from the move. Danna was on the road, but was gonna check on a used control handle & call me back. Their website is www.mikespumpandspeed.com if you wanna check them out. The phone #s are on there, so you can call 'em if you like. When I hear something though, I'll let ya know.... :cool:

wrenchdaddy
01-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks Devilman, I really appreciate it. Let me know if he has one.

Devilman
01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks Devilman, I really appreciate it. Let me know if he has one.
No problem. They've helped me out a couple times already & know their stuff, so you may be in luck... Keep ya posted, bro.