PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters

lovemyultra
02-17-2002, 06:31 PM
Can I use a regular Fram or other quality oil filter on my 454 the Quicksilvers are not as convenient to get just wondering
THANKS DJ

Maverick
02-18-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by lovemyultra:
Can I use a regular Fram or other quality oil filter on my 454 the Quicksilvers are not as convenient to get just wondering
THANKS DJ
I'm just another boater, who has built some motors over the years. So free advice is just that...
Short answer is, "yes".
Longer answer is that you probably should consider the "racing" version. I believe they carry a higher flow rate, smaller (micron) filter, and higher burst preasure. Your auto parts store should have these spec.s I believe Fram's BBC filter is PH 4 - but double check me on that. ALso, space permitting, think about the "truck" filters that are available (some of the old 427 chevy's are two quart) -- longer than your stock one quart. I ran one of those on a 88 BAJA 454 - no problem after fabricating an aluminum bracket to tip the filter out and over the edge of the exhaust manifold.
Maverick

Racing Ray
02-18-2002, 01:37 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

superdave013
02-19-2002, 12:15 PM
I like the Baldwin 279 filters for BBC myself.

HYDROMOBILE
02-19-2002, 12:21 PM
In order to use the baldwin 279 you have to block off the bypass on the filter adapter, Jim Brock

best1syn2oil
02-19-2002, 05:42 PM
You may want to consider either the Amsoil SDF oil filter(which in an automotive app is a 12,500 mi or 6 month filter), or as a number of my marine diesel accounts have done...the dual remote or dualgard bypass filtration systems combined with oil analysis and Amsoil Marine Diesel 15W40 synthetic oil(formulated for gas as well). Ran into several folks who have gone several years with the oil in fine shape.

SPECTRABRENT
02-19-2002, 06:51 PM
I use a HP6 with a Teague remote mount on the back of the head. Its a bigger filter than HP4, I believe you can never have enough oil.
Brent

DEL51
02-21-2002, 01:01 PM
I took a hydraulics class and the instructor had cut open several different brands of filters. The quality in construction and filter design differences were obvious.The best filters of the group were AC, purolator, and wix.Some filers were exactly the same, meaning one company probably produced all these filters for different labels.I will not use fram again.

twistedpair
02-21-2002, 04:50 PM
Has anyone ever used an Oberg filter? Kinda pricey but they look like a good idea. Other than that, I think Wix is about the best conventional filter you can get.

boat030
02-21-2002, 04:51 PM
i wouldn't use the fram i had one implode on my engine. the wix seem pretty good.

bakerman
02-21-2002, 08:09 PM
I use napa gold! it's the same thing as wix!

MKEELINE
02-22-2002, 01:40 PM
System 1

LakesOnly
02-22-2002, 10:01 PM
My filter preferences (not rated in order):
-HASTINGS
-AMSOIL
-WIX

best1syn2oil
03-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Lakes,
Your filter rating was of interest to me. Were you aware that Hastings makes Amsoil filters to our specs. I am always amazed at why folks use a particular filter...someone said...my father did...etc. Indeed cutting some open is an education. At least then you know what you're buying and using. Check design of center tube(how do holes or vents distribute the oil thru the media)...the number of pleats (for total surface area)...relative thickness of media (these two relate to capacity)... and burst pressure of casing...while you're in there check the spring (is it a real spring?) and does it have metal endcaps?(not cardboard) Originally posted by LakesOnly:
My filter preferences (not rated in order):
-HASTINGS
-AMSOIL
-WIX

Blown Lavey
03-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Anyone know the part number for the Mobil one filter for BBC?

mister460
03-15-2002, 12:08 PM
You mean these big, loud, metal thingies in th back of boats are supposed to have some kind of "oil filter"? Mine just has a tube to the oil filler. I thought this was normal. And what exactly is "oil"? I just use KARO corn syrup right now. Smells kinda funny. Oh wait, that's my feet! Sorry. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif