PDA

View Full Version : Naming your boat....

Ultra Lounge
09-24-2006, 06:18 PM
We live in North County/San Diego and are ready to name our boat. I have gone online and checked out sticker name co. and am not all that impressed.
Do most of you have the name painted on or stickers?
Does anyone know someone in our area that paints the name on?

Throttle
09-24-2006, 06:23 PM
paint it...

ThongMagnet
09-24-2006, 06:34 PM
paint it!!!

Mohave Vice
09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Paint it! I recently used "Team Thompson" in Rancho Cucamomga. Very satisfied and a great guy.

Froggystyle
09-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Paint is way over-rated. It isn't as durable as the gel, ruins the gel if you take it off for the most part and is expensive as hell.
The only reason to do paint is if your design is too intricate for vinyl. Even then, I recommend painted vinyl.
Painted on names are very difficult to remove properly once sale day comes too. Nobody wants the six millionth "Blew By You" when they go to buy their new boat. Most names are only good to the person who put it on there...
That being said, I am painting mine on. I have a very intricate airbrush job going on with a lot of artistic depth and such. Plus, I own the 'glass shop so I am pretty sure I can get it repaired back to normal when it comes time to move the boat.

racecar.hotshoe
09-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Paint it! I recently used "Team Thompson" in Rancho Cucamomga. Very satisfied and a great guy.
I know that guy he used to letter my racecars..........and do millers outpost tv junk........

racecar.hotshoe
09-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Ps..... I do vinyl easy on and off..............

HocusPocus
09-24-2006, 07:27 PM
i have done paint and vinyl, just depends on what i want and if my wifes uncle is around to do the paint for me. :rollside:

duffster
09-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Dude, you know that painted is the only way to go. Vinyl is for jet skies.... :hammerhea
Call Tim Bartee of Designs In Lines (951)609-1029.
By the way......you're a slacker for not having some beers with me today. :crossx:

Tom Brown
09-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Most names are only good to the person who put it on there...
I don't get the name thing. Why does a boat need a name? The people who built my boat provided a model designation and that works for me.
Hell... I don't even have a name for my dick.

socalmoney
09-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Hell... I don't even have a name for my dick.
But you just called him "Dick". That is a name isn't it?

Ultra Lounge
09-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Paint is way over-rated. It isn't as durable as the gel, ruins the gel if you take it off for the most part and is expensive as hell.
The only reason to do paint is if your design is too intricate for vinyl. Even then, I recommend painted vinyl.
Painted on names are very difficult to remove properly once sale day comes too. Nobody wants the six millionth "Blew By You" when they go to buy their new boat. Most names are only good to the person who put it on there...
That being said, I am painting mine on. I have a very intricate airbrush job going on with a lot of artistic depth and such. Plus, I own the 'glass shop so I am pretty sure I can get it repaired back to normal when it comes time to move the boat.
Can I ask who is doing your paint job?

Huckleberry
09-25-2006, 07:47 AM
I've had both painted and vinyl. Froggy is dead on right about paint being a pain in the arse if you ever sell the boat. Quality vinyl is every bit as durable, and maybe even more durable than paint if you take care of it. I'll never go paint again unless it is a very ornate design that cannot be done in vinyl.
I have used The Graphics Co. in Lake Elsinore several times. They do many of the race teams, and recently were highlited in Powerboat Magazine when they did a vinyl wrap on a 38 Cig Top Gun. It came out awesome. It is a family owned & operated business. Very cool peeps. Their number is (951)245-7127.

77 Hallett
09-25-2006, 08:49 AM
9 out of 10 boat names I ever see are gay as hell. I would be embarrassed to have a boat with some of the names out there.

Desert Rat
09-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I have never had a problem removing paint from a boat as long as it is applied to gel. I have removed names and #'s off many by simply masking off any aluminum or rub strip areas and spraying the paint with Easy Off oven cleaner, let stand for about 5-7 minutes and wipe off. Most vinyl looks very cheap to me :yuk:

Froggystyle
09-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Can I ask who is doing your paint job?
KM Designs here in San Diego. Great, great work. Let me know if you need a number, I should have it around her somewhere.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-25-2006, 09:26 AM
We've always used paint. For decals I've had good luck with eDecals.com (http://www.edecals.com/)
As far as who to use, Union Jacks dad does painted on lettering. Also, in Havasu, there is Don Burda Designs (http://www.burdesign.com/). I've never used him but I referred a friend to him and she was very happy with his work. You can also view his work on his website.
FWIW, this months Powerboat has an article about removing painted and vinyl lettering from boats. If I remember correctly the vinyl can discolor the gel as it gets baked on by the sun.....

Ultra Lounge
09-25-2006, 01:14 PM
KM Designs here in San Diego. Great, great work. Let me know if you need a number, I should have it around her somewhere.
If you have the number that would be great.........thanks!

jbone
09-25-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm happy with my paint. Shockwave has someone come in and paint there logo, model and name if you have one prior to delivery.
I think paint adds a nicer touch to a custom boat.
Just my .02
J

Ion
09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Quality vinyl is every bit as durable, and maybe even more durable than paint if you take care of it.
When I first got into the biz, I had questioned why someone would pick paint over vinyl. But after years of airbrushing AZ #'s and transom names, the first answer became quite evident...you can't peel off paint. Secondly, airbrushed lettering & graphics offer far more versatility / options than vinyl. Lastly...when you decide on a painter, chose one who airbrushes. Brush-painted lettering leaves peaks & valleys. Through the years, the peaks are subject to abrasion and will be the first area to start wearing off. Conversely, airbrushing leaves a perfectly smooth surface, with no peaks & valleys, so it will wear evenly and last longer.

Hallett19
09-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Vinyl. I still have not named my boat, but I have a few I have been tossing around the last few years. Recently Pickle the load told me one that might work out for me.... Dirt Pipe Milk Shake...Skeep, whatcha ya think ?

Froggystyle
09-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Vinyl. I still have not named my boat, but I have a few I have been tossing around the last few years. Recently Pickle the load told me one that might work out for me.... Dirt Pipe Milk Shake...Skeep, whatcha ya think ?
That is beyond gross. Ewww.
That being said, I have some ideas for you...

lucky
09-26-2006, 09:16 AM
MANY O BOATS HAVE BEEN GRACED BY HER TALENT - Denise Rocks she is on the boards drop her a line - although she is in Modesto I would recomend her as she is Way cool and is a avid boat fan / racer / chick :)
by the way - Just ask the luv'n lifes !and I will post a pic of her Grace -- lmao