PDA

View Full Version : Street Registering a Rhino or Ranger In California

david_396
09-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Can a Rhino or Ranger be registered for street Use in California?? IF not, how come? Heard In Arizona there legal to drive on the street? thanxs david

Outnumbered
09-24-2006, 09:41 PM
In AZ you can register Rhinos, quads, golf carts, and buggies for street use. I don't think you can do that in Kaliforniastan. Too many rules and regs.

djunkie
09-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Can a Rhino or Ranger be registered for street Use in California?? IF not, how come? Heard In Arizona there legal to drive on the street? thanxs david
Good luck. I struck with the DMV when I tried to get a plate for my golf cart.

Nord
09-24-2006, 09:47 PM
No solid info here, but I'm guessing no...........

Riomouse911
09-25-2006, 01:26 AM
The only place in Ca I've seen golf carts registered is on Catalina... I don't think that you'll get a Rhino or cart registered on the mainland because they dont meet crash certs...even tho I'd rather be in a Rhino in a wreck than a 60's VW Karmann or beetle...

VanDeano
09-25-2006, 02:26 AM
U cant be serious.....traffic is bad as it is, now you want to add a golf cart too it.

SJP
09-25-2006, 03:24 AM
The only place in Ca I've seen golf carts registered is on Catalina... I don't think that you'll get a Rhino or cart registered on the mainland because they dont meet crash certs...even tho I'd rather be in a Rhino in a wreck than a 60's VW Karmann or beetle...
Live in HB and there is a cart plated but it has...
* horn
* windsheild
* blinkers / signals
* rear and side mirrors
* seat belt
* slow moving vehicle
My question is if you plate it in AZ can you cruise it in CA? - my buddies are doing this with their dirt bikes.

Kilrtoy
09-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Live in HB and there is a cart plated but it has...
* horn
* windsheild
* blinkers / signals
* rear and side mirrors
* seat belt
* slow moving vehicle
My question is if you plate it in AZ can you cruise it in CA? - my buddies are doing this with their dirt bikes.
Nice try, you must still obey Ca. law.
they can, but as the above stated it must meet the requirements in the CVC

RiverRatMike
09-25-2006, 05:00 AM
Alaska - No
Arizona - Yes
Arkansas - No
California - No
Florida - No
Idaho - Yes, as of 07/01/06
Illinois - No
Michigan - Conflicting Reports
Missouri - No
Montana - Yes
New York - No
South Dakota - Yes
Tennessee -No
Texas - Conflicting Reports
Wyoming -Conflicting Reports

ZBODaytona
09-25-2006, 06:40 AM
about 8 years ago my dad got our Kawi Mule registered here in Florida....I am going to try and transfer or firgure out what he did so our new rhino will be...so florida should be a possible..not a NO
I do know we had to add turn signals, speedo, and mirriors...no windsheild as it was registered as a bike, still is, but she is old and tired, and nothing like the rhino as you know....

Froggystyle
09-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Yes... hell yes.
I have a plate on my golf cart, and will have a plate on my Rhino soon.
The thing is, you can register damn near anything. Is it street legal is the question.
To register mine, I am putting DOT legal tires, wheels, headlights, tail lamps, signals, no windshield (falls under motorcycle catagory) and mirrors.
Seat belts are not neccessary considering the motorcycle certification.
Rhino's are NOT street legal stock, but with all of the DOT standards met on the above, there is no claim to keep you from doing it. California has no smog requirements below 880cc's of displacement.
Like I said, my golf cart is registered. That "can't be done" either.
When I get the bodywork done I will shoot you some pics of my new plate on it.

rivercrazy
09-25-2006, 08:55 AM
"Yamaha Rhino's" cannot be registered as street legal in California. Code is pretty clear on it too!

Froggystyle
09-25-2006, 08:58 AM
"Yamaha Rhino's" cannot be registered as street legal in California. Code is pretty clear on it too!
Wanna put money on it?
I will bet you that my Yamaha Rhino ends up with a CA plate.
12 pack of Honey Brown Ale?

BigDoug
09-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Wes, "The Betting Man"

mach1alaska
09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
How do you register something with 4 wheels as a motorcycle???

stoker
09-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Wanna put money on it?
I have a full size CA plate on my Rhino.
:rollside:

Froggystyle
09-25-2006, 09:20 AM
I also imagine that you will have to technically wear a helmet if falling between motorcycle and neighborhood vehicle.
I figure that is something I can talk my way around once I get a plate and wear seatbelts with a roll cage. Otherwise... screw it. I will wear a helmet.

riverracerx
09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Please let me know the outcome as that is why my wife won't let me get one right now. :(

TOBTEK
09-25-2006, 10:54 AM
if you can get plates for those three wheeled VW motorcycle things..... why not a rhino? I have a aunt who is a DMV manager at a local office. She did the research and said YES it can be done. Like someone above said falls into a under 8?? and under forstroke CC rule. NO SMOG required under this cc class. I had all the LED turn signals, plate frames, ect ready to go...then lost interest. Maybe someday. Would be fun!

Screaming Pete
09-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Wes have you found the tires and rims to use yet on a Rhino,

speedneeder
09-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Why do you need seatbelts if you are registering it as a motorcycle??

Froggystyle
09-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Wes have you found the tires and rims to use yet on a Rhino,
Yep, 27"x14 BFG Mud Terrains.
There are a set of DOT legal 16" rims out there, but I think the officer pulling me over would be hard pressed to determine that the wheels aren't DOT approved, and I would probably have a good time with that one in court.
I don't plan on hot-rodding it around. But, I am planning on commuting in it.

Froggystyle
09-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Like I said, you can't have seatbelts in it for the certification exam, but I would likely ride in it with belts and the cage instead of a helmet... But I wear a helmet on the motorcycle, so what is the difference?
I think this thing is going to be a blast to drive everyday. The only thing that keeps me from commuting on a bike is that I have my dog with me everyday and she can't ride on one.
She can ride in a Rhino though!

rivercrazy
09-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Wanna put money on it?
Sure! And a bottle of Patron Silver too!

Froggystyle
09-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Sure! And a bottle of Patron Silver too!
I am warning you... you can't get Honey Brown in CA. Only Arizona and NV are close... ;)
I am not going to take your drinks Dave... I know for a fact it can be done.

stoker
09-25-2006, 11:54 AM
I think they are classified under golf carts.