PDA

View Full Version : Canon Camera Question

Her454
09-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Looking into purchasing either the EOS 5D or the newer Rebel XTI. I love my old Rebel 35mm and have a Canon Digi now so I'd like to stay with Canon.
Anyone have any complaints or advice with either of these models?

Magic34
09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
We got the Canon Digital Rebel XT as a Christmas present for each other last year.
It's only the coolest camera I have ever owned.
Forensic
I got the same one. I dont know how to do all the pro stuff yet, but the pictures that I have taken have been really good. Best camera I have ever had. Now I just need a 85 lens and a 300 lens.

Nordic35Flame
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM
The 5D is a great camera, but kind of a lot of camera for the home user. I use a 30D everyday for work, but I am a photographer. I recommend getting the new Rebel XT or XTi, they are both very user friendly, and much easier to learn how to use. Just my 2 cents :rollside:

Sleek-Jet
09-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Are the older lenses compatible with the newer camera's??
I've got an AE-1program that has about 5 grand worth of telephoto and panorama lenses. Will the new camera's accept the bayonet lenses???

Water Romper
09-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Sleek,
I think your outa luck regarding the lenses being interchangeable. As far as I know, the new digitals attach their lenses a different way…but don’t go selling the SLR stuff yet, wait until you get a firm confirmation regarding the lens issue…
With that being said, if you’re ready to sell your Canon AE-1, F-1 equipment, shoot me a PM and let’s talk.

77charger
09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
If you love the canon 35mm you'll love the canon dig slrs wheter its the xti,5d,20d,30d,etc.
I have the older digital rebel 6.3 pixel had for almost 2 years and have no complaints pic quality is very good.
I would opt for the xti since they are runnin lowere on the price right now then get an L series lens vs the 5d and a regular lens.

phebus
09-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I was told that the Canon EF lenses would work with the digital Rebels, and I have a Canon Zoom Lens EF !00-300mm 1:4.5-5.6, and a Canon Zoom Lens EF 35-105mm 1:4.5-5.6 that I would sell real cheap if anyone could use them with their new cameras.

Sleek-Jet
09-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Sleek,
I think your outa luck regarding the lenses being interchangeable. As far as I know, the new digitals attach their lenses a different way…but don’t go selling the SLR stuff yet, wait until you get a firm confirmation regarding the lens issue…
With that being said, if you’re ready to sell your Canon AE-1, F-1 equipment, shoot me a PM and let’s talk.
As long as they still make film, I'll keep my 35mm SLR... but it sure would be nice not to have to replace those lenses when I get a digi-SLR...

Dan Lorenze
09-26-2006, 05:50 AM
I bought my wife the Digital Rebel XT. Great camera for the price...

BshyBvrGirl
09-26-2006, 06:19 AM
I had purchased a Nikon D70 for a friend based on the fact that the lenses were interchangeable with his current equipment. It shouldn't be a problem, especially if the equipment stays in the same brand family.

Red Horse
09-26-2006, 06:25 AM
The Canon is a great camera. Some think the digital does not have a mechanical shutter. The canon does. Should wear out sometime after 100K + pictures. Great lens out there for it. :cool:

Her454
09-26-2006, 08:57 AM
The 5D is a great camera, but kind of a lot of camera for the home user. I use a 30D everyday for work, but I am a photographer. I recommend getting the new Rebel XT or XTi, they are both very user friendly, and much easier to learn how to use. Just my 2 cents :rollside:
Thank you, I think Im going to go with the XTi as its similar to what I already have. The Rebel has been a great camera for me.
Thanks again everyone,

SpectraJoel
09-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Get the rebel (just make sure it focuses fast enough for you) and spend the extra $$ you would have spent on the 5d and get good lenses. There is a big difference between the consumer lenses and the pro lenses. Things like overall sharpness, contrast, Autofocus Speed and Accuracy, as well as how fast the lenses are all make a big difference.
Start out slow and do it right. Lenses do not become obsolete overnight as does the technology within the camera bodies. Have fun!

socalmoney
09-26-2006, 09:49 PM
If your really into photography, and money isn't a big deal (doesn't seem to be with many on this board) get the 5D. I have the 5D and the 20D and I never touch my 20D. You just can't beat shooting digital at full frame. Do invest in good glass.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-27-2006, 04:00 AM
COSTCO had some great prices on them.
And,, the 6 month no hassle return policy, a BFD.

gramps
09-27-2006, 06:05 AM
If your really into photography, and money isn't a big deal (doesn't seem to be with many on this board) get the 5D. I have the 5D and the 20D and I never touch my 20D. You just can't beat shooting digital at full frame. Do invest in good glass.
Very true words. The 5D is a GREAT camera body but it's $$$$ The 20D is dam good and you can pick up a good used one for under $1000. Don't go cheap on glass. Try to stay with Canon "L" glass, but don't be surprised when you see the price tag. Take a look at B & H Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=getpage&Q=RootPage.jsp
My 20 D siitting her on my desk with the 100-400 lens and UV filter & 1 gig card pushed over$3000 new and that is just one lens.

racecar.hotshoe
09-27-2006, 06:31 AM
We have a 20D and love it.

SoCalOffshore
09-27-2006, 07:08 AM
cannon's are great cameras. i would also check out the new olympus digital slr. it is the only digital slr with "live view" screen. in other words, you can use the eye piece to take pics or the large screen, like a typical digital camera. we bought one and it has worked great.

gramps
09-27-2006, 07:13 AM
one other thing to consider....some of the higher end Canon stuff is more water/dust resistant thant the "average" digital cameras. sometimes that can make a big difference.
something else................have you ever noticed all the white lenses at different pro sporting events (where the pro photo guys are) as compared to other lenses (the differenct is about 7:1) the white ones are Canon