PDA

View Full Version : Baggage check or Fed ex?

Sportin' Wood
09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Flying from L.A. CA. to Key west Fl. over the Christmas holiday's this year. Should I ship may luggage fed ex/ UPS or check baggage at the airport?
With all the BS at the airlines now-a-days shipping it sounds like it might be better? Anyone ever do something like that?

ChumpChange
09-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Flying from L.A. CA. to Key west Fl. over the Christmas holiday's this year. Should I ship may luggage fed ex/ UPS or check baggage at the airport?
With all the BS at the airlines now-a-days shipping it sounds like it might be better? Anyone ever do something like that?
If you're going to ship it, make sure it is at a reputable shipping store. A few years back, some presents we shipped never made it to Boston. Turns out the shipping store never shipped the goods. At least they had a good Christmas.
On the other hand, the same thing can happen to baggage at an airport.

boater72
09-25-2006, 04:14 PM
My brother has worked for American for the last twenty years and he UPS his stuff. And takes what you can for carry on only.

h2oski2fast
09-25-2006, 04:21 PM
With no baggage, be prepared to get diverted to the extra special security line.

Ziggy
09-25-2006, 04:23 PM
My feeling is if you have multiple stops/layover/change planes then shipping it seperately makes sense otherwise we've always checked our baggage, even in todays heightened security. The biggest downfall to checking baggage is the time to stand in line although sometimes we've still managed curbside check-in quickly. South Florida shouldn't require much clothing anyhow so your bag shouldn't be too big between the two of you. Put as much as you can in your carry-ons. If you have no luggage then that lifts an eyebrow much quicker with TSA.
They scrutinize your carry-on luggage much more than your checked luggage.
My suggestion: Not worry about it too much and focus on having a great vacation..........

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-25-2006, 06:17 PM
I told him . . . that if we lost all our luggage, we'd just have to go clothes shopping down there. What's the big deal????? :p
I would be all for shipping it, but we are arriving Christmas night and there is no way UPS or FEDEX is going to guarantee delivery on Christmas Eve or Christmas day. We should get all the way to Ft. Lauderdale without switching planes. But you know what will happen, because I say just go for it, our stuff will be lost and it will be my fault, I should have listened to him, yada, yada, yada. :argue:

Aqua Boogie1
09-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Being that I have worked for Fed Ex for 13yrs, it depends on your flight schedule. If you are switching planes on your way down there, I would ship them. If its a direct flight, then I would take them with you. The only thing I would tell you is, if you ship them down there, do it a couple of days before you leave. Fed Ex and UPS are slamed solid during the holiday season. I do ship my things to Vegas just to eliminate the B.S. sometimes.

Sportin' Wood
09-26-2006, 06:08 AM
I told him . . . that if we lost all our luggage, we'd just have to go clothes shopping down there. What's the big deal????? :p
I would be all for shipping it, but we are arriving Christmas night and there is no way UPS or FEDEX is going to guarantee delivery on Christmas Eve or Christmas day. We should get all the way to Ft. Lauderdale without switching planes. But you know what will happen, because I say just go for it, our stuff will be lost and it will be my fault, I should have listened to him, yada, yada, yada. :argue:
We could always cut up the drapes from the hotel?
http://www.ypfch.org/photos/keyWest/images/Key%20West%20283.jpg
Honey I told you The shopping down there sucks.......All the shops have flags hanging out front for some reason??? :cry:
http://theothermother.typepad.com/blog/images/rainbow_american_flags.jpg
Needless to say I want my luggage :rollside:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Being that I have worked for Fed Ex for 13yrs, it depends on your flight schedule. If you are switching planes on your way down there, I would ship them. If its a direct flight, then I would take them with you. The only thing I would tell you is, if you ship them down there, do it a couple of days before you leave. Fed Ex and UPS are slamed solid during the holiday season. I do ship my things to Vegas just to eliminate the B.S. sometimes.
There is no such thing as a direct flight from California to Key West unless you own your own plane. The planes from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami to Key West are like a VW Bus with wings. 10-16 passengers. I'll talk w/the hotel and see what they say about having it shipped.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Jeff, you might be able to find something like this in your size down there. I'd still hang out with you :D We could dress like twinsies :crossx:
http://www.pavese.it/v_2/gallery_imgs/drag/Foto%20Drag%20Magic%20Queen%2014.jpg

BajaMike
09-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Ship it FedX....I fly all over the country for work....I ship all my tools FedX.
Heavy, bulky shiet is just a pain to go through the airport.
But I always take my cloths and check them on the airline. These "drag aboard" bags everyone uses are f-ed up. Check your bags.....After 20 years and several million miles, I have never lost a bag. And most of time the bag is their by the time you walk to baggage claim.
CHECK YOUR BAGS....ship your shit....:D

SoCalOffshore
09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
just check your luggage. you still have to go through security. in key west all you will need is a thong. the place is way gay!! :rollside:

Sportin' Wood
09-27-2006, 08:00 AM
the place is way gay!! :rollside:
That might be an understatement. :)
I went down there last spring on biz trip and I told the wife she would not have to worry about me flirting with the girls down there, because you can't tell the gays from the straights. Your gay-dar gets overloaded.
Cool fricking place none the less. Not a place for single guys looking to pick up girls, too confusing! My homofob business partner even had fun down there.

shueman
09-27-2006, 08:30 AM
There is no such thing as a direct flight from California to Key West unless you own your own plane. The planes from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami to Key West are like a VW Bus with wings. 10-16 passengers. I'll talk w/the hotel and see what they say about having it shipped.
Ship it.....even if it arrives days before you do. Done it before and works out great. The Hotel will keep it safe. It's just a big hassle otherwise hauling around vacation baggage. Ship it home as well....UPS will package up your trinkets (new guitar, etc.) and it arrives a few days after you get back.
Have a great trip....!!!

OGShocker
09-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Ship it UPS! Just don't ship it to Rio's house and you should be fine!
:crossx:

Magic34
09-27-2006, 09:51 AM
I would take it on the plane. The shipping companies have their busiest time of year at Christmas. Mark the bags very well.
Split you stuff up evenly in the bags. Each bag has 1/2 of your stuff, and the other 1/2 is your wife's. That way if you have 2 bags, and they lose 1, you still have enough stuff for each of you until the other bag arrives if there is an issue with a lost bag.
On another note, Key West is great this time of year. We used to go every year the day after Christmas on the boat and stay through new years. The giant conch shell drop at midnight is sweet if you are wasted.
If you go fishing while there, look for Capt. Craig. He used to be on the boat called Extreme years ago. I have had many different fishing trips, and this guy was the best. Caught a 7' sailfish with him.