PDA

View Full Version : Well, I cooked my B&M 174..............

Badburn
09-25-2006, 08:49 PM
......Just like a few guys on here said I would. Dammit! What I can't figure out is- what was the original cause of this failure. On our 85 mi trek on saturday, the snout seal came out and all the oil went into the bilge. The bore that the seal presses into is wiped out, like when a bearing spins in its bore. The bearing behind the seal is a sealed type bearing and appears to be fine and in place. The gears in the blower are worn and blued from running without oil, and I cant get the rotors to press out of the rotor bearings. I think it's a total loss. I'd like to find an explanation for this failure, Anyone have any simmilar experiences with these blowers?
Anyone have a spare one for sale? :cry:
23.5 Carrera
515 cid BBC

ghittner
09-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Yup, I've got a completely gone through 177 merc s/c W/standard deck manifold. I ran a B&M 420 instead. I've got the 10 rib pulleys and a belt as well. Also an 1150 dominator. Ready to go. I'm in Mission Viejo, CA. P.M. me if interested. Greg

Jim W
09-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Badburn,
I have a brand new B&M 420 that I would sell. Complete kit that I never used.
Also have a pair of really nice blower carbs that are used but just redone by I think the carb shop.
Let me know if you are interested.
Be good, Jim

SUI-CY-COLE
09-27-2006, 07:57 PM
badburn i remember your car...can you not go wrong with a standard 6-71?

Badburn
09-28-2006, 07:53 AM
I know the big blower is the answer, but I have one problem, the engine in this boat is under the back seat. The 174 fits under there with about an inch to spare, the only other option is to make half of the backseat into a doghouse for the blower or move the back seat forward about 2 feet. Either of these options will destroy the functionality of the boat. (and it probably still wouldn't be fast) :)
Thats why I want feedback on the little blowers, maybe I can figure out how to make it work and last a while too. Mercruiser put these things on for a while from the factory, can they really be that bad??? :rollside:

Dominator Scott
09-28-2006, 08:03 AM
I know the big blower is the answer, but I have one problem, the engine in this boat is under the back seat. The 174 fits under there with about an inch to spare, the only other option is to make half of the backseat into a doghouse for the blower or move the back seat forward about 2 feet. Either of these options will destroy the functionality of the boat. (and it probably still wouldn't be fast) :)
Thats why I want feedback on the little blowers, maybe I can figure out how to make it work and last a while too. Mercruiser put these things on for a while from the factory, can they really be that bad??? :rollside:
BadBurn, I am running the Weiand 177 series blowers on my 32 Sunsation and couldn't be happier with their performance. I just had them completely gone through by a shop here in Michigan" Darren Mayer Performance Engineering and he did a fantastic job on them and was considerably less than everyone else including The Blower Shop.
If you would like his number let me know and I will get you taken care of through him. He is great to deal with, and is the designer of the Kobelco Superman Blower.

acatitude
09-28-2006, 12:36 PM
hell you got lots of room in that boat cut out the center of that damn back seat put the 6-71 in there and blast off...... as long as theres room for me and a cooler... ok move the back seat up.... ill buy a smaller cooler :) well that might really suck, less booze....... but wait the boat will be faster and get to the next bar quicker so the smaller cooler will work...... ok go for it

Schiada76
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Call Magnuson in Camarillo, the new Eaton's they sell are putting out some great #'s.

Daytona100
09-29-2006, 07:37 AM
I have a complete weiand 177 setup with extra pulleys 6 rib and 10 rib set-up for sale 1600.00 obo. Call if interested 1-909-239-6240 or pm me. Mike

EXTREMEBOATS
09-29-2006, 07:37 PM
:cry: I run a 174 Holley on my 85 GMC Dulley. Im at 65,000 miles and have replaced the input shaft and coupler twice. They stoped hardening the shaft when they bought out B&M. I have put three more 174's one big blocks in boats and never had a seal shit. Maybe it was built on Monday??? :crossx:
Mike

Badburn
10-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys, here's what I decided to do. I ordered a performer air gap manifold today. Im gonna bolt it on as a test and see if the boat is slower or not. I'm thinking that with only 3 lbs of boost and the heat created by that little blower, the normally aspirated combo may make the same power??/ The answer to come soon.................................. :)

EXTREMEBOATS
10-07-2006, 12:58 AM
I can tell you from experience.. Any time the gauge shows + its pure power. While my blower has been off for repairs, I use Performer intake with the same 750 carb. I lean it down turn the timing up and go. The blower will be missed.... You should be able to run 5 pounds with out hurting parts. I get 8 pounds out of mine on a 040 454. Cast pistons, junk crank sissy rods and a stock cam. All by 4200 rpm. Pulling my 10,000 lbs 38 fot trailer. HEI dist. and a MSD timing Boost Master. All that has failed has allways "3" times now, 65,000 miles has been the input shaft and coupler.they stoped hardening the shaft. So it beat the spline off.This last time I sent the new parts out to harden. We'll see how it last.... Hell Im gonna keep it until its toast....
If you have any questions give me a call.
Mike

Badburn
10-10-2006, 09:54 PM
For anyone thats interested, I took the boat out today with a performer rpm air gap manifold in place of the old 174 blower. It runs about the same, maybe slower by 1-2 mph, but hardly enough to justify buying a new mini-blower set up for 2 grand. Plus, I doubt the performer intake will grenade after 80 miles or so like the blower did. :)

SED253
10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Dominator Scott turned me on to DMPE for rebuilding my 250..Bryan is a great guy to work with...They still have it but will let you know how it turns out...If everything that everyone says is true about them..it will be awsome

Ultra Compulsive
10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I have a complete weiand 177 setup with extra pulleys 6 rib and 10 rib set-up for sale 1600.00 obo. Call if interested 1-909-239-6240 or pm me. Mike
I would be interested. Pm me if its still available.

ghittner
10-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Ultra, I sent you a PM. I'm the one with the 1150 dominator as well as the whole 177 SC set up 10 rib, belt, pulleys and intake.