PDA

View Full Version : Manufactures - Are these good/bad?

Cole Sanger
09-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I am looking at a winter project. I have been out of the audio stuff for a while, and never really into boat audio. I am looking for some advise. I just started really looking at what I want to do with the system tonight. I am set on 4 to 8 10" subs, amps to push them with built in crossovers, probably a couple of caps (depending on the advise), a nice head unit that has mp3/wma. I have 4 5.25" Polk db525's and 4 6.5" Polk db 650's currently installed in the boat.
There are a few companies on this website (http://www.woofersetc.com) that I have never heard of:
1. Volfenhag
2. CDT Audio
3. Kole Audio - Caps
Are they any good? The prices look fairly good, from what I remember prices being a few years ago.
Also, are these companies any good? I have heard of them, but don't know anything about them:
1. MB Quart - Subwoofers
2. Phoenix Gold
3. Audiobahn
4. Lightning Audio - Subwoofers
If you want me to post the exact products from these manufactures that I am looking at, I can. Just let me know. Thanks for any input/advise.

riverbound
09-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Of all the manufacturers you listed, only 2 of them are any good.
MB Quart
Phoenix Gold (depending on which line, some of their stuff is junk)

Dub C
09-26-2006, 08:51 PM
if you're in phoenix, it's a car audio metropolis. Rockford, fusion (marine), mtx and many other manufacturers there.

Run_em_Hard
09-26-2006, 10:11 PM
I am a fan of Audiobahn. I have owned quite a bit of thier stuff and I would recommend them. They are really good for the price. I would recommend Fosgate also. Fosgate is a little more, ok alot more but if you have the cash...

Cheap Thrills
09-27-2006, 03:45 AM
1. Volfenhag ~ I see alot of this stuff at the flea market and pawn shops around here. good looking and inexpensive. as far as how it sounds I couldn't say.
2. CDT Audio ... don't know about this one.
3. Kole Audio - Caps ~ Caps are like peanut butter sandwiches hard to make a bad one and are a waste of money in my book. The first stages in an amplifier are diodes (voltage rectification) and Capicitors ( Voltage stabilization and filtering ) along with the regulators and transformer.
If youre having trouble feeding a monster amp buy a bigger battery.
(flame suit on)
1. MB Quart - Subwoofers ~ Nothing but good things to say about MB.
2. Phoenix Gold ~ Another one popular with the local flea market vendors.
3. Audiobahn ~ I have heard these good bang for the buck.
4. Lightning Audio - Subwoofers ~ A friend of mine bought a couple of these at walmart . Not the most effecient things in the world but ok for the money.
Most of what you listed are low priced low end equiptment and are generally a good bang for the buck. With the exception of MB Quart which is a step or two up on the ladder.
I have installed several sets of MBs and have nothing but good things to say about them.
I've been wanting to get a set of Volfenhag subs just to abuse. they look nice and are packaged and presented well . The cast frames and massive magnet structures are impressive. The low price makes them that much more tempting.
Rock On !
C.T. :wink:

Cole Sanger
09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the advise. That is what I was looking for. I have been doing some more research the last few nights. Your right about the appearance of the Volfenhag. That's what interested me in them. I hoped that they were good due to that and the low price. As far as the cap's, that shows how long ago I was into stereo's. They were real propular 6+ years ago. I remember back then, MB Quart didn't really have subwoofers from what I remember, or they were just real expensive. Can't really remember that far back.
So I am still looking for advise on what I should be looking at. I gave some examples. Does anyone have any other examples of what I should be looking at? Best bang for the buck? Possibly some websites with good prices? Thanks again.

Cheap Thrills
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
There is alot of low priced automotive audio stuff out there. The main thing is to buy the best you can afford. like the old saying goes, You get what you pay for. Just keep a few things in mind.
The advertised power rating is rarely ever what you get especially with the low end budget equiptment that 1000 watt amp you get for a hundred bucks will more than likely only give you 100 watts of clean power if youre lucky.
There are several brand name manufacturers that make quality entry level equiptment like, Alpine, Kenwood, JBL, just to name a few. whatch out for the knock offs posing as brand name units too. I saw Alfine and Rockwood that looked almost exactly like the brand name stuff even the packaging was close. Also stay away from speakers with foam surrounds they tend to rot in a year or two esp. in an enviroment as harsh as a car or even worse a boat.
Rubber surrounds on the speakers will last for years. Paper cones are great for home audio but if installed where heat and direct sunlight are cooking them they will become brittle. Poly, Kevlar, alum, graphite injected paper, are all quite durable.
Brands I would try to avoid are. Pyrimid, Boss, Legacy,Pyle. I dont know what happend to Pyle they used to make some jammin gear but not anymore. I have had a Pyrimid amp(PB300) and a Boss900w 5ch. both were cheesy. if they still made Kraco, SparkOmatic,and Kraig I would bad mouth them too but they've been dead long ago.:D
I can't say what cheap brands to look for without fear of opening myself up for a flame war and you have about covered them in your first post with the exception of Jensen good bang for the buck as far as speakers go. Am I rambling yet ? :D I'm tired of typing.
Have Fun
Rock On

BadKachina
09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Honestly and not because I sell it, but the JL Audio stuff has never dissapointed me. On the other hand, I run Fosgate Power amps, Focal and Diamond Audio mids and an Alpine head unit in my personal boat. I'm running 4 Apline subs but this winter I'll switch over to two JL 13w7's(being a dealer has it's perks). I've had real good success with all those brands. You get what you pay for in audio equipment. I would buy good stuff, start with a good head unit and some good compents and add amps and subs as you can afford them. Don't waste your money and time buying stuff that you won't be happy with down the road. IMO you don't really need 8 mids and 8 subs, 4 components and a couple of good subs in an average sized boat (like the one in your avatar) will be plenty loud if it's done right. Two high quality amps, two or three good batteries (there are always debates about which batteries are better than others) and the system should be dependable and sound very nice.

Jesster
09-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Ask Shockwavebob about the CDT stuff, I think he put 4 pairs on his boat as mids. If you find the thread titled Warlock Diablo buildup it shows them, and from the look of his install I don't think anything went into it that was less than very good. :) Here is a link to page 4 with some CDT stuff CDT (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95062&page=3&pp=25&highlight=cdt) again I have not heard them so ask SWB. I have 2 Phoenix Gold 12 subs and a PG amp to drive them and am very happy with the sound. But as stated earlier get the upper end stuff, Xenon line, or IMHO its not very good.

T-56
09-28-2006, 05:08 AM
I was recently in the same situation. Used to big into 12V audio but got away from it for a while. When I started getting back into it, I was lost.
I started buying vintage "old school" stuff off of eBay. That way I could be lazy and not learn my way around the new stuff. :p
It is amazing how much good chit gets sold on there. I've been snagging old SoundStream amps left and right for a song. Bought a Stroker 18 for a couple hundred bucks NIB.
The stuff is still out there but if you buy enough of it, you will get screwed eventually.
I'm way over due....

Cheap Thrills
09-28-2006, 06:16 AM
Nice to see another Soundstream Fan on here :) Have you seen their new xxx10,000 :2purples:
I discovered Soundstream back in the early 80s.

Cole Sanger
09-28-2006, 07:23 AM
All good advise. I am going to be putting in two electric hatch actuators this winter. I plan to mount a box on both sides of the engine with 4 10" subs in them. This way I can still hear everything while moving, and when I am stopped I can open the hatch and really hear everything. I am not looking to buy cheap crap. I just didn't know if any of those brands were any good. I will be running 2-4 batteries for the system alone along with the 2 I have dedicated for the engine now. The boat is 27 feet long, so I have the room for way more than I am putting in. Thanks again.

T-56
09-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Nice to see another Soundstream Fan on here :) Have you seen their new xxx10,000 :2purples:
I discovered Soundstream back in the early 80s.
Super clean sound, predictable, tough as nails just not the most powerful line of amps ever made. I love 'em.
Haven't seen the xxx10,000....What the hell is it?

Cheap Thrills
09-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Super clean sound, predictable, tough as nails just not the most powerful line of amps ever made. I love 'em.
Haven't seen the xxx10,000....What the hell is it?
10,000 Watts RMS @1 Ohm Class D.
I've read that two of them can be straped together for 20k watts ! :eek:
priced around $2,100.00 + / -
C.T. :wink: Soundstream xxx series (http://www.soundstream.com/amplifiers-xxx.htm)

Beer-30
09-28-2006, 02:36 PM
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/photos/T15kW_4_l.jpg
Rated Power
500 W x 4 @ 4 Ohms RMS
1000 W x 4 @ 2 Ohms RMS
2000 W x 4 @ 1 Ohm RMS
3750 W x 4 @ 0.5 Ohm RMS
2000 W x 2 @ 4 Ohms bridged RMS
4000 W x 2 @ 2 Ohms bridged RMS
7500 W x 2 @ 1 Ohm bridged RMS
MSRP $19,999.99
OH YEAH, one problem:
Shipping Weight 180 Lbs.
81.8 Kg.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/photos/T15kW_3_l.jpg

Cheap Thrills
09-28-2006, 04:04 PM
That's a freaking MONSTER :p That focker and a set of of MTX Jackhammers would probably launch your ass into low earth orbit :D
I wish they would print more specs on it though.
I wasn't Impressed with Fosgate gear back in the 80s. They were notoriously finiky back then.
I'm glad to see they have come up to par with some of the other higher end companies.

Beer-30
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
CEA-2006 Compliant
Number of Channels 4
Total Power 15000 Watts
Bridgeable Yes
Crossover Controls High-Pass (HP): 32-300Hz 12db/Octave Butterworth
Low-Pass (LP): 32-300Hz 12db/Octave Butterworth
Infrasonic filter: -6db @ 20Hz 24db/Octave
Tone Controls n/a
Signal Input Low level: 2 RCA pair
Input switch: 2/4 ch.
Signal Output n/a
Power Input Connector Block
Power Wire Gauge 1/0 AWG
Speaker Output Connector Block
Speaker Wire Gauge 4 AWG to 12 AWG
Heat Sink Type Extruded aluminum
Cooling Fan Cooled
Remote Controls n/a
Visual Indicators Crossover Frequency
Gain
Available Power
Output Level
Amplifier Temperature
Circuit Topology Class Class A/B with Hybrid Technology (HT)
Frequency Response 10Hz to 40kHz +/- 0.5 dB
Dimensions 37.5 x 22 x 10 (in)
95.3 x 55.9 x 25.4 (cm)

BOBALOO
09-28-2006, 07:35 PM
That's a freaking MONSTER :p That focker and a set of of MTX Jackhammers would probably launch your ass into low earth orbit :D
I wasn't Impressed with Fosgate gear back in the 80s. They were notoriously finiky back then.
I'm glad to see they have come up to par with some of the other higher end companies.
Oh come on! I LOVED my Punch 45 and 75 amps. I couldn't kill them if I tried. I had a couple in my old Toyota 4x4 lots of sound in a standard cab truck.
I am a fan of the Soundstream amps also. I have 2 in my truck but 1 has a prob of not playing thru the left rca unless I turn up the volume for a second. Any ideas CT?
Oh yeah the sub amp is a Precision Power art series A600:D Can you say old school? PPI FRX322 x-over in the boat also.

Cheap Thrills
09-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Oh come on! I LOVED my Punch 45 and 75 amps. I couldn't kill them if I tried. I had a couple in my old Toyota 4x4 lots of sound in a standard cab truck.
I am a fan of the Soundstream amps also. I have 2 in my truck but 1 has a prob of not playing thru the left rca unless I turn up the volume for a second. Any ideas CT?
Oh yeah the sub amp is a Precision Power art series A600:D Can you say old school? PPI FRX322 x-over in the boat also.
Hey Bobby,
long time no chatt, how ya been?
I can't count the number of punch 45s and 75s that came back to the shop a few days after install DOA.
I don't know if they were being abused or we got a bunch of bad runs from Fosgate but we, the installers, hated to see one come to the back for an install. we knew chances were that we would be seeing it again and would have to deal with a pissed off customer claiming that we sold them a piece of junk. Not that I'm calling them junk just seems like more came back than not. :p though we didn't mind so much when they left us a big doobie in the ashtray :D
The dead RCA problem is fairly common and is usually ascociated with either a bad cable or a loose female connection inside the amp/ head unit/EQ/processor. maybe even a cold solder joint. all are fairly easy fixes. Narrow it down by process of elimination.
If you're running processors, EQs and crossovers, take all that out of the loop and feed the amp with just the head unit. If it still does it, switch the cables left to right on the amps end if the dead channel moves to the other side it's the cable or head unit. if it remains the same it's loose in the amp. If all is well and it doesn't do it start adding components and cables until you find the culprit. :rollside: There are a few more varibles with the cable swaping but you get the picture.
oops had to edit :rolleyes:

NOTALENT
10-16-2006, 07:02 AM
I am looking at a winter project. I have been out of the audio stuff for a while, and never really into boat audio. I am looking for some advise. I just started really looking at what I want to do with the system tonight. I am set on 4 to 8 10" subs, amps to push them with built in crossovers, probably a couple of caps (depending on the advise), a nice head unit that has mp3/wma. I have 4 5.25" Polk db525's and 4 6.5" Polk db 650's currently installed in the boat.
There are a few companies on this website (http://www.woofersetc.com) that I have never heard of:
1. Volfenhag
2. CDT Audio
3. Kole Audio - Caps
Are they any good? The prices look fairly good, from what I remember prices being a few years ago.
Also, are these companies any good? I have heard of them, but don't know anything about them:
1. MB Quart - Subwoofers
2. Phoenix Gold
3. Audiobahn
4. Lightning Audio - Subwoofers
If you want me to post the exact products from these manufactures that I am looking at, I can. Just let me know. Thanks for any input/advise.
If your looking for low budget the Volfenhag amps are decent...not great, but decent. I ran one with my Phoenix Gold 10's for a long time. No complaints what so ever...and I love my phoenix gold subs. they are the Octane Zr's. MB Quart, CDT are among the same ranks. Both are 2 of the top audio companys. I personally dont like audiobahn. To many bad products that I have bought from that company. And lighting is just target junk. If your looking for phoenix gold subs, I just upgraded and have those 2 10'inch subs I would let go cheap.

thmper321
10-27-2006, 06:15 PM
The Octane ZR woofers are no more. They have a new line out called RSD. They are very close to the ZR series subs. As far as amps are concerned, make sure you go with efficient amps. Rocfords are not very efficient. Alpine PDX amps are. Class D amps are efficient for subs but can abuse them being that they work pretty much on a square wave. To make the woofer work better for the boat environment a vented or bandpass works well. The bandpass is self loading and will offer good output playing into an open environment as well as more efficiency. The drawback is you can't hear the amp clipping which can destroy woofers so a good shop is needed for building this enclosure and seting up the system. As far as mids and highs use 6x9 speakers as much as you can. I have used both together in boat systems and the 6x9 speakers are always more noticable while playing. Like the other people here have said. Stick with a good brand and you will be ok.