PDA

View Full Version : MSD Coil ?

Taylorman
01-17-2006, 06:38 AM
I have a complete MSD ignition system on my jet boat with a blaster SS coil. It went out for the 3rd time since ive owned my boat. In the 6 years ive owned the boat its gone out 2 times and i replaced it with the same coil and now its out again. What coil is everyone running. Im thinking about changing to the Blaster 2 coil. Any thoughts?

IMPATIENT 1
01-17-2006, 06:43 AM
taylorman, i've been runnin the same blaster 2 for 6yrs.i've had great luck with it.never ran a resistor or anything.msd box(6a,6al,etc.)have a problem with the heavy ground cable that goes into the box comin loose at the board.might zip off the rivets holdin the back cover on and look and see if the solder is cracked on that ground circuit.i've fixed alot of boxes just by repairing that one little thing.causes alot of coil problems if the module doesn't get a good ground.might check it out.

Mr. Crusader 83
01-17-2006, 07:13 AM
blaster 2, 6a box, billet dist.
works great

maxwedge
01-17-2006, 09:51 AM
I burned up an the stocker and an Accel coil last year. Probably should have replaced the points and condensor and maybe checked the ballast resistor, but I'm now going with HEI I think.

Cole1313
01-17-2006, 09:55 AM
I run the blaster as well. Its been three years and not even a hicup.

robk
01-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Since everyone is talking about MSD (and not to thread-jack, sorry) what plug wires are everyone running?
Is anyone *not* running the shielded MSD $$$ wires?
Taylorman - what wires are you running? If you're not running the MSD wires, could that be causing a problem? I know that unshielded wires are supposed to generate a whole bunch of RFI, but to what extent that affects the MSD box I don't know.

flat broke
01-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Taylorman,
I have an HVCII PN 8253 paired up against my digital 6 box and its been working fine for a while. Since it's not that different in construction from your Blaster SS, I would definitely check for grounding issues. A quick check through all of your ignition wiring might not be a bad idea either.
Asside from that, these coils are pretty solid in terms of vibration resistance. Assuming you've mounted it on its rubber isolators, its not somewhere where it's always getting wet, and its not mounted to something that is vibrating more than the rest of the boat, and it's not too close to a header; I'd say you should be alright. If you've got the marine box on your rig you won't be able to just pop the rivets and inspect that ground situation because its incased in epoxy. But just a reminder, MSD recommends that you hook the ground for the box up directly to the battery ground terminal. I would think the box would show symptoms first, but since it feeds the coil, there is always the possibilty for an issue if you're not following that recommendation.
Hope that helps,
Chris

IMPATIENT 1
01-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Since everyone is talking about MSD (and not to thread-jack, sorry) what plug wires are everyone running?
Is anyone *not* running the shielded MSD $$$ wires?
Taylorman - what wires are you running? If you're not running the MSD wires, could that be causing a problem? I know that unshielded wires are supposed to generate a whole bunch of RFI, but to what extent that affects the MSD box I don't know.
I DON'T RUN THE MSD WIRES,THEY DON'T MAKE EM IN BLUE,I THINK I'M RUNNIN THE 8.5MM ACCEL WIRES.NEVER HAD ANY PROBS WITH EM.

maxwedge
01-17-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm running 8.5 mm Accel too. Only burned up twp coils in 15hrs. LOL. Really I think the wires are fine, it has more to do with the coil being mounted directly to the top of the engine where it gets splashed and vibrated combined with the frayed and corroded wiring, and the worn out distributer components, all of which will be different next year, so I'll let you know then. :)

IMPATIENT 1
01-17-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm running 8.5 mm Accel too. Only burned up twp coils in 15hrs. LOL. Really I think the wires are fine, it has more to do with the coil being mounted directly to the top of the engine where it gets splashed and vibrated combined with the frayed and corroded wiring, and the worn out distributer components, all of which will be different next year, so I'll let you know then. :)
I WAS THINKING THIS OVER AT LUNCH,DO YOU RUN THE RESISTOR THEY GIVE YOU IN THE BASIC MSD BLASTER COIL KIT?IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN,THEN THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM.I RAN A BLASTER WITHOUT THE RESISTOR BALLAST AND IT DIDN'T LAST A COUPLE OF TRIPS OUT. HAD THAT ONE WARRANTIED AND PUT THE RESISTOR ON AND IT WAS FINE. THE SWITCH TO THE BLASTER 2 IS BETTER, GO WITH IT.

Taylorman
01-17-2006, 11:28 AM
My coil is mounted under the transom on the back of my boat to the vibration rubber thingy's. The box is grounded directly to the battery, in fact all my grounds go directly to the battery. The coil never gets wet. Im gonna switch to the Blaster 2 coil and give it a try. I use MSD wires. Hey impatient they do make blue MSD wires. I dont think you need shielded wires on a boat do you. Isn't that just to stop the noise in your radio? Also, impatient you don't need a ballast resistor with the MSD coil if you have MSD box and distributor.

IMPATIENT 1
01-17-2006, 11:34 AM
My coil is mounted under the transom on the back of my boat to the vibration rubber thingy's. The box is grounded directly to the battery, in fact all my grounds go directly to the battery. The coil never gets wet. Im gonna switch to the Blaster 2 coil and give it a try. I use MSD wires. Hey impatient they do make blue MSD wires. I dont think you need shielded wires on a boat do you. Isn't that just to stop the noise in your radio?
i like the accels,i just havin to gooda(southern slang)luck with em.and who can hear rfi static over open headers anyway!der perty too!

Rexone
01-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Make sure you have the standard MSD Blaster coils mounted close to vertical. They are oil bath and you'll smoke em every time if you mount sideways.
You can use the MSD 8222 Hi Vibration coil in any position though because it is not oil bath but potted. For the few bucks extra it costs I recommend it always.

shaun
01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
I bought the blaster 2 coil for my setup (pro-billet + 6al) and it didnt come with any resistors, Was it suppose to? Do i need them for the blaster 2 coil?

Taylorman
01-17-2006, 02:35 PM
I bought the blaster 2 coil for my setup (pro-billet + 6al) and it didnt come with any resistors, Was it suppose to? Do i need them for the blaster 2 coil?NO

sleekcrafter
01-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Make sure you have the standard MSD Blaster coils mounted close to vertical. They are oil bath and you'll smoke em every time if you mount sideways.
You can use the MSD 8222 Hi Vibration coil in any position though because it is not oil bath but potted. For the few bucks extra it costs I recommend it always.
I've had no problems, with my same blaster 2 coil, and its mounted horizontal, been that way for twelve years, and three different motors, and two different boats. The MSD box is a 6M2 and the distributor is a MSD marine pro billet.
Sleek

olbiezer
01-17-2006, 03:25 PM
blaster 2 here also never gave me any trouble

n8dawg
01-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm running a brand new MSD blaster HVC II ( high vibration coil ) with msd 8.5 mm super conductor wires. Went through one Accel coil two years ago and went through another one last year.
Late,
Nate

Taylorman
01-17-2006, 07:08 PM
My local speed shop gave me a Blaster 2 in exchange for my Blaster SS. He said he has had a few people bring back the blaster SS that went out. We'll see.

Bradf
01-17-2006, 07:12 PM
It looks like a MSD Blaster 2 is the forum standard? Is this the greatest coil of all time or what?

Taylorman
01-17-2006, 07:20 PM
The coil i got has the female socket. However my coil wire boot is the 45* with a female end also. The coil came with and extra piece that slips over the top to convert it to the male type terminal similar to a spark plug. This piece seems kind of cheap. It just has a screw that goes trough it and it slips over the coil. Has anyone used this? Like i said it seems cheap. I don't know if i should cut my coil wire and convert it to connect directly to the coil female top.

n8dawg
01-17-2006, 07:26 PM
I would cut the wire. :crossx:
Just a better connection I would think. :cool:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I ran a blaster coil in my olds for 3 yrs. Me and 2 of my boys are all running baster 2 coils,msd 6al, and billet dist without any problems...

maxwedge
01-18-2006, 02:14 AM
I'm currently running the rusty original coil off of a 1964 Rambler Classic in my boat. It happened to be laying on a shelf in the garage and it still makes sparks, unlike the Olds and the Accel coils. It was priced right, so I couldn't pass it up. I would recomend this coil to anyone who doesn't wish to be one of those "Me Too" Blaster Coil people! And yes, there is a ballast resistor in the circuit. I checked it. Not with a volt-meter or anything like that, but I do know that it's still present, it's dirty, and it appears to be very old, like it was possibly manufactured around the time of Jesus. The ballast resistor is connected, via rust deposits, to some crusty greenish black stuff, which I believe to be electrical wires, also from biblical times. Somehow the the engine runs great with this setup :D

Taylorman
01-18-2006, 07:02 AM
So i swapped my coil and have fire now. I know for sure. FYI, dont touch the metal part of the screwdriver stuck in the coil wire when you just the wires, shocked the f**k out of me this morning. Still could not get the boat to start. Not sure if its the cold or if i flooded it. Stange. I'll try again tonight. Never had a cranking issue before.
Kevin