PDA

View Full Version : BOATS vs MOTORCYCLES, WTF !!!

BILLY.B
09-02-2003, 06:06 AM
I was watching a pretty cool show last night on 2 custom motorcycle builders that were each building a bike to compete against each other at the great smokey mountain bike run. Two bitcin bikes with a lot of custom built one off stuff. My question is that these builders put such a high price on them that it is unbelievable and there getting it...HOW !!! I'm not knocking the time and effort and KNOWLEDGE it takes to build them, "BUT" if you tell someone that you want a certain price for a BITCHIN FLATT OR HYDRO and you can see that the guy has a lot of CUSTOM RIGGING, a high H.P engine fully polished and tricked out, and a WILD PAINT JOB, and a trick trailer, they usually look at you like your NUTT'S. The one guy last night (Dave Perewitz) was also the painter for his bikes and he had been painting for 30yrs. Did a great job of explaining his whole deal on doing flames and such. His price to do a bike ranges from..COUGH, COUGH, let me clear my throat... between$7000.00 to $10.000.00 , my chin hit the floor. I mean it was a nice job and all but it's a HARLEY. I know I have at least 5 times the amount of time in a boat paint job if it's a wild deal, and the boat guy's just can't see spending that kind of cash for an old or for that matter new boat paint job. I'm not saying that some guy's don't spend that, but most just can't see it. The time a rigger, and a painter, engine builder have in a project can far excede in hours those of a Harley that is built today. But it takes a special person to know what he's getting, and he's willing to pay for it,. I guess I just love boats and wish that there were more trick pieces that were restored like the Harley guy's do. Wouldn't that be cool !!!!

Sangster
09-02-2003, 06:22 AM
"AMERICAN DRAGBOAT"...Discovery Channel's next venture..... eek!

1Bahnerjet
09-02-2003, 06:39 AM
Sangster:
"AMERICAN DRAGBOAT"...Discovery Channel's next venture..... eek! --------
DAMN wouldn't that be COOL!
--------
Thats BANNER with an H

Sangster
09-02-2003, 06:43 AM
Better yet.."WEST COAST DRAGBOATS"... That way we get an East Coast/West Coast thing going on...It's good for TV that way..... :D :D

1Bahnerjet
09-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Who would Play the JESSE JAMES part?
------
Thats BANNER with an H

Sangster
09-02-2003, 07:02 AM
1Bahnerjet:
Who would Play the JESSE JAMES part?
------
Thats BANNER with an H Well..From what I've seen.."Billy B." would be the hands down favorite for the role..I can see it now..."Billy B.'s Monster Garage"... :D :D :D
The cast of characters would be endless.... smile_sp

1Bahnerjet
09-02-2003, 07:19 AM
I think this Idea could Fly. I wonder if the Discovery Channel has a Suggestion Box on their Web site? Does anyone know a Producer? Maybe some of the SOCAL guy's have HOLLYWOOD connections.
--------
Thats BANNER with an H

Sangster
09-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Hollywood connections...What about V-drive video..Might as well keep everything in-house.. :D :D

The Boat Guy
09-02-2003, 07:50 AM
I'm sure Shaq might be interested in a badass Flat. wink Maybe Kobe's wife would be interested in one also. She's got the $$$$ now.
[ September 02, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: The Boat Guy ]

Hud
09-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Billy B goes Hollywood idea , I got the theme song! smile_sp

dossangers
09-02-2003, 08:52 AM
The CORRECT name is "HOLE IN THE WATER"

ACCEPTENCE
09-02-2003, 10:53 AM
I can see it now!!! :cool:
Billy B goes Hollywood on us...now that would be hard to deal with eek! .
We'd have to schedule an appointment with his personal assistant just to call and say hello.
Nah...I'm thinkin Hollywood and Billy is such a good idea.
Better stick to river trips and paintin boats there chiefy :D

flattie
09-02-2003, 11:11 AM
I have already thought of american dragboat last year but if Billy B starts it can I come work on the show. I promise to eat sleep and shit custom dragboats. Cuz thats all I do know!
Flattie

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Sangster:
Hollywood connections...What about V-drive video..Might as well keep everything in-house.. :D :D Thanks for the consideration Sangster, as a matter of fact we do have a brother among us trying to scale the walls of Hollywood as we speak. A movie tratment has been registered with the Writers Guild of America and plans are moving forward steadily.
I'm sure all of us would love to see the "American Dragboat" series happen (But don't forget the circle guys). I saw thier newest series "American Hotrod" on sunday, it looks like they are looking to tap new markets.
I think the general opinion on most lakes is that that most of us are basically "Bikers" or "Renegades" on water anyway
One problem that I see in getting something like this to fly is trying to sell the Idea to Discovery or whoever. Unlike Choppers and HotRods, our little Flatty and Hydro world is virtually non-existant to the general (non-boating) population. cry It would be bitchen to sell the idea and I would offer up whatever materials needed to help get this thing going. :cool:
Just to get prepared, I'll take the camera down to Krazy Kolors next week and shoot a pilot. I'm going to need Mike Oxbig and Jimmy Jamm Jamm for technical support. smile_sp

Sangster
09-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Quote......
"Just to get prepared, I'll take the camera down to Krazy Kolors next week and shoot a pilot. I'm going to need Mike Oxbig and Jimmy Jamm Jamm for technical support."
Now thats what I'm talking about...... :D

63stevens
09-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Just one thought. If the v-drive world was to take off like the harley world, is there enough places for us to meet and do we want that big of a following?

ColeTR1
09-02-2003, 02:53 PM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
I think the general opinion on most lakes is that that most of us are basically "Bikers" or "Renegades" on water anyway
Just to get prepared, I'll take the camera down to Krazy Kolors next week and shoot a pilot. I'm going to need Mike Oxbig and Jimmy Jamm Jamm for technical support. smile_sp I have to say, it would be a cool show. How about American ***boat? V-DRIVE VIDEO: You have to have Alan there for the pilot you need to have the tattoo factor.

mickeyfinn
09-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Great,
I can see it now. The show makes a huge success and 10 million more people decide to go and buy boats. All the new demand drives prices sky high so they all settle on a damn PWC and then we go to the lake and have to contend with an additional 10 million PWC's. I guess seadoo and yamaha will have to thank Billy B and V-drive video for making them even more popular than they are now...LOL :D :D

WILDERTHANU54
09-02-2003, 03:52 PM
BILLY.B:
I was watching a pretty cool show last night on 2 custom motorcycle builders that were each building a bike to compete against each other at the great smokey mountain bike run. Two bitcin bikes with a lot of custom built one off stuff. My question is that these builders put such a high price on them that it is unbelievable and there getting it...HOW !!! I'm not knocking the time and effort and KNOWLEDGE it takes to build them, "BUT" if you tell someone that you want a certain price for a BITCHIN FLATT OR HYDRO and you can see that the guy has a lot of CUSTOM RIGGING, a high H.P engine fully polished and tricked out, and a WILD PAINT JOB, and a trick trailer, they usually look at you like your NUTT'S. The one guy last night (Dave Perewitz) was also the painter for his bikes and he had been painting for 30yrs. Did a great job of explaining his whole deal on doing flames and such. His price to do a bike ranges from..COUGH, COUGH, let me clear my throat... between$7000.00 to $10.000.00 , my chin hit the floor. I mean it was a nice job and all but it's a HARLEY. I know I have at least 5 times the amount of time in a boat paint job if it's a wild deal, and the boat guy's just can't see spending that kind of cash for an old or for that matter new boat paint job. I'm not saying that some guy's don't spend that, but most just can't see it. The time a rigger, and a painter, engine builder have in a project can far excede in hours those of a Harley that is built today. But it takes a special person to know what he's getting, and he's willing to pay for it,. I guess I just love boats and wish that there were more trick pieces that were restored like the Harley guy's do. Wouldn't that be cool !!!! BILLY YOU MAKE A GREAT POINT ! !

Jake W
09-02-2003, 04:16 PM
V Drive Video has it nailed with Mike Oxbig and Jimmy Jamn Jamn thoes guys are the shit eek! .I think we all have thought about this at some point.Isent John West from Ultra in with the Monster Garage guys?
Jake :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-02-2003, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ColeTR1:I have to say, it would be a cool show. How about American ***boat? V-DRIVE VIDEO: You have to have Alan there for the pilot you need to have the tattoo factor.
This reminds me of a movie...I think it was called Meat Balls 3, where the local biker gang terrorized the lake with a flatbottom and a bunch of pwc's. Anybody seen this flick?
[ September 10, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: V-DRIVE VIDEO ]

Kindsvater Flat
09-02-2003, 05:37 PM
that was worse than a b movie Jerry

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
that was worse than a b movie Jerry I didn't say it was good there chief. :)

Sangster
09-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Wasn't that an Annette Fonicello(sp) beach movie with Frankie Avalon.....and a Woodie.. :confused: :confused: :confused:

1Bahnerjet
09-02-2003, 05:56 PM
BILLY.B:
The one guy last night (Dave Perewitz) was also the painter for his bikes and he had been painting for 30yrs. Did a great job of explaining his whole deal on doing flames and such. His price to do a bike ranges from..COUGH, COUGH, let me clear my throat... between$7000.00 to $10.000.00 I also saw this show, I've never understood how they do Flames (especially when they over-lap)The guy showed how he tape's, cut's and shoots the Paint in detail which was Great But, I still can't visulize how he does it, its like MAGIC!
The guy get's 7-10 Grand for his work (well it is Magic) did you notice his Shop/Building? It looks like one of those Bolt together deals you get out of the Sear's catalog :rolleyes:
-------
Thats BANNER with an H

MikeF
09-02-2003, 06:09 PM
BILLY.B:
I was watching a pretty cool show last night on 2 custom motorcycle builders that were each building a bike to compete against each other at the great smokey mountain bike run. Two bitcin bikes with a lot of custom built one off stuff. My question is that these builders put such a high price on them that it is unbelievable and there getting it...HOW !!! I'm not knocking the time and effort and KNOWLEDGE it takes to build them, "BUT" if you tell someone that you want a certain price for a BITCHIN FLATT OR HYDRO and you can see that the guy has a lot of CUSTOM RIGGING, a high H.P engine fully polished and tricked out, and a WILD PAINT JOB, and a trick trailer, they usually look at you like your NUTT'S. The one guy last night (Dave Perewitz) was also the painter for his bikes and he had been painting for 30yrs. Did a great job of explaining his whole deal on doing flames and such. His price to do a bike ranges from..COUGH, COUGH, let me clear my throat... between$7000.00 to $10.000.00 , my chin hit the floor. I mean it was a nice job and all but it's a HARLEY. I know I have at least 5 times the amount of time in a boat paint job if it's a wild deal, and the boat guy's just can't see spending that kind of cash for an old or for that matter new boat paint job. I'm not saying that some guy's don't spend that, but most just can't see it. The time a rigger, and a painter, engine builder have in a project can far excede in hours those of a Harley that is built today. But it takes a special person to know what he's getting, and he's willing to pay for it,. I guess I just love boats and wish that there were more trick pieces that were restored like the Harley guy's do. Wouldn't that be cool !!!! I was thinkin what you were thinkin while I was watchin too!
:D

Sangerboy
09-02-2003, 06:18 PM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
This reminds me of a movie...I think it was called Meat Balls 3, where the local biker gang terrorized the lake with a flatbottom and a bunch of pwc's. Anybody seen this flick? The movie that I'm thinking about was based on the river, had Barbara Eden and Jamie Farr in it and the main bad guy's "Badass" boat was like a 18' Tahiti I/O with log manifolds and OT pipes the boat was so sad it was funny. May be the same movie but I can't remember the title :confused:

Kindsvater Flat
09-02-2003, 06:24 PM
There was another movie with a bunch of renegade boaters in v-drives. If I remember right it was a floating restaurant and people were getting killed. Can't place it, it was a long time ago.

Morg
09-02-2003, 06:28 PM
Billy,
You have an excellent point. If you had the most bad ass blown injected flat with amazing paint, you would have a real hard time getting over 25k, (Unless someone had to have it), But the Harley's are built in thirty days & they get over 100K for the customs...WTF I'll tell you WTF Supply & demand my brothers. Here's the way it is according to Morg. Whenever some gear head watches racing or these custom bike & car deals, they put themselves in the show, dreaming & fantasizing about running around a race track or cruizing a custom, Why? Because all gear heads have run performance cars or bikes & have dreamed about having a custom deal. What percentage of all the gear heads would know what a K-Boat is.
Lets face it my brothers & sisters, We are way off to one side of the population. And this is one v-driver who loves being a part of the side show.
But if anyone could pull it off it would be Billy. Couple things it needs. Billy chewing on peanuts asking Acceptance "Launching the boat is not getting you any girls, so why do you keep doing it?, Get boat guru on the phone trying to order a turn fin for his ride, SS126's boat in a corner upside down covered in dust cause it's been there for months, One of hud's CD in the radio so all you here are edit beep's in the background & Hud outside Q'n
Dude, my fingers hurt
Morg.

Kindsvater Flat
09-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Is that like your thesis paper Morg. :D If anyone should pay top dollar for Billy's boat it should be you. You were smiling pretty hard in that video.

Morg
09-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
Is that like your thesis paper Morg. :D If anyone should pay top dollar for Billy's boat it should be you. You were smiling pretty hard in that video. Baby steps my friend, baby steps. I got my smilling unit in the garage. Someday it may even be on the water. pig_flyi
Morg.

ssmike
09-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Morg:
I got my smilling unit in the garage. Someday it may even be on the water. pig_flyi
Morg. Hmmm. :confused: :confused:
ssmike<-----thinking that's a stretch

MikeF
09-02-2003, 06:43 PM
I think we all know who the real riders are. wink
Even Mario was like......I'm looking at the rear tire to see where the tread is not.....flat along the center of the tread = cruiser :rolleyes: . Worn edges on the sides = that is the real rider! :D
Some of those bikes were really trick! The custom stuff still won out though.

flattie
09-02-2003, 06:47 PM
For one episode I can drive all the way accross the country to get some award winning paint put on my Flat from Billy B. He could even do some sort of theme on my slammed full size

DaveA
09-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Morg:
Billy,
But if anyone could pull it off it would be Billy. Couple things it needs. Billy chewing on peanuts asking Acceptance "Launching the boat is not getting you any girls, so why do you keep doing it?, Get boat guru on the phone trying to order a turn fin for his ride, SS126's boat in a corner upside down covered in dust cause it's been there for months, One of hud's CD in the radio so all you here are edit beep's in the background & Hud outside Q'n
Morg. You also gotta have a scene that uses a split TV screen dealio- on one side you have BillyB on the phone with Rexone, who's on the other side of the screen, listening, trying not to laugh too hard as Billy trys to order a new catalog for the restroom..... devil

ACCEPTENCE
09-02-2003, 10:42 PM
You's guys are funny guys smile_sp :D smile_sp

BILLY.B
09-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Hey you guy's some great responses to this topic. A T.V. show on restored and custom boats would be awesome, not that it would happen, but it would be cool. The major point that I was trying to make though is the fact that these biker people spend some heavy cash and demand even heavier cash for services rendered. One of the other big name bike builders is in Phoenix, Roger Borgest, I'm sure I probably spelled his last name wrong, SORRY. But he builds some wild stuff, and according to him they produce around 750 bikes a year. And you could tell by his shop and his toy's that it tranfers in to some heavy profit eek! . There's alot of talented people in the v-drive world that would love to do some wild rides, "BUUUUTTTT" to try and get the money you should is pretty tuff these days. I think resale hurts the boating deal, especially v-drives in general. But if your like me it becomes a labor of love and that damn boat can just sit in the garage before I'd sell it for .10 on the dollar :D :cool:

Morg
09-03-2003, 05:24 AM
BILLY.B:
Hey you guy's some great responses to this topic. A T.V. show on restored and custom boats would be awesome, not that it would happen, but it would be cool. The major point that I was trying to make though is the fact that these biker people spend some heavy cash and demand even heavier cash for services rendered. One of the other big name bike builders is in Phoenix, Roger Borgest, I'm sure I probably spelled his last name wrong, SORRY. But he builds some wild stuff, and according to him they produce around 750 bikes a year. And you could tell by his shop and his toy's that it tranfers in to some heavy profit eek! . There's alot of talented people in the v-drive world that would love to do some wild rides, "BUUUUTTTT" to try and get the money you should is pretty tuff these days. I think resale hurts the boating deal, especially v-drives in general. But if your like me it becomes a labor of love and that damn boat can just sit in the garage before I'd sell it for .10 on the dollar :D :cool: Gospel to the people, My brother
Morg.

smalls
09-03-2003, 05:37 AM
I think they said he grossed six mil a year? It is kinda interesting that none of the big shops won the bike show????
Hows the weather down there? See ya in a coulpe weeks. Billy-B for Gov,,,,,,,,, :D

uclahater
09-03-2003, 01:45 PM
DaveA:
Morg:
Billy,
Morg. You also gotta have a scene that uses a split TV screen dealio- on one side you have BillyB on the phone with Rexone, who's on the other side of the screen, listening, trying not to laugh too hard as Billy trys to order a new catalog for the restroom..... devil

uclahater
09-03-2003, 01:47 PM
DaveA:
Morg:
Billy,
Morg. You also gotta have a scene that uses a split TV screen dealio- on one side you have BillyB on the phone with Rexone, who's on the other side of the screen, listening, trying not to laugh too hard as Billy trys to order a new catalog for the restroom..... devil LMAO (BE CAREFUL LAST TIME I PUT IN A DIG ABOUT REX AND HIS CATALOG I LOST 2 STARS)

FlatRacer
09-03-2003, 01:49 PM
The thing about bikes is that it's the fashionable thing to do these days, like smoking cigars, playing golf or being a lesbian.
I rather like the fact that my choices of toys are a bit esoteric. I am after all, an elitist snob at heart.
Billy, you're right. It don't matter one bit how the APBA's made my state of the art racer worthless and obsolete overnight. The damn thing's so f%#&ing cool, I'll never part with it! Even if it does nothing but sit in the garage, it'll always be mine! My wife can bury me in it....Or better yet, a Viking funeral,.......Yeah!
FR :p

uclahater
09-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Morg:
BILLY.B:
Hey you guy's some great responses to this topic. A T.V. show on restored and custom boats would be awesome, not that it would happen, but it would be cool. The major point that I was trying to make though is the fact that these biker people spend some heavy cash and demand even heavier cash for services rendered. One of the other big name bike builders is in Phoenix, Roger Borgest, I'm sure I probably spelled his last name wrong, SORRY. But he builds some wild stuff, and according to him they produce around 750 bikes a year. And you could tell by his shop and his toy's that it tranfers in to some heavy profit eek! . There's alot of talented people in the v-drive world that would love to do some wild rides, "BUUUUTTTT" to try and get the money you should is pretty tuff these days. I think resale hurts the boating deal, especially v-drives in general. But if your like me it becomes a labor of love and that damn boat can just sit in the garage before I'd sell it for .10 on the dollar :D :cool: Gospel to the people, My brother
Morg. Morg I think you had already takin that gospel to heart long ago :p

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-03-2003, 02:26 PM
BILLY.B: But if your like me it becomes a labor of love and that damn boat can just sit in the garage before I'd sell it for .10 on the dollar :D :cool [/QB]Super-Sellout Mike,
Quit figuring out ways to rip 126 driver and Morg and read Billy's post. Oh I know, you have access to your dads boat. :rolleyes: WEAK!!

126driver
09-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Morg:
SS126's boat in a corner upside down covered in dust cause it's been there for months, LMAO! Now you're hatin' bro. wink I'll have you know that I wipe it down every now and then when it starts getting too dirty to lean against and drink beer. :D :p
[ September 03, 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: 126driver ]

Sangster
09-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Quote..
"Gospel to the people, My brother"
Morg.
Morg....quit wasting your Sunday's..get busy on the boat...... :D :D

Morg
09-04-2003, 06:07 AM
Sangster:
Quote..
Morg.
Morg....quit wasting your Sunday's..get busy on the boat...... :D :D Logged in about 24 hours over the weekend
Morg.

BILLY.B
09-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Morg:
Sangster:
Quote..
Morg.
Morg....quit wasting your Sunday's..get busy on the boat...... :D :D Logged in about 24 hours over the weekend
Morg. We all know about your "HONEY DUE"l list. But what about the BOAT CHIEFY !!! :D :D :D

Sangster
09-04-2003, 06:15 AM
.......... :D :D :D :D ......... BTW Morg..Auhh..Ha-haa..Dude your avatar Kicks Ass..

uclahater
09-04-2003, 05:44 PM
I volunteer my boat to be the first test :cool: I say we start tomorrow idea

Sangster
09-04-2003, 06:12 PM
BILLY.B:
Hey you guy's some great responses to this topic. A T.V. show on restored and custom boats would be awesome, not that it would happen, but it would be cool. The major point that I was trying to make though is the fact that these biker people spend some heavy cash and demand even heavier cash for services rendered. One of the other big name bike builders is in Phoenix, Roger Borgest, I'm sure I probably spelled his last name wrong, SORRY. But he builds some wild stuff, and according to him they produce around 750 bikes a year. And you could tell by his shop and his toy's that it tranfers in to some heavy profit eek! . There's alot of talented people in the v-drive world that would love to do some wild rides, "BUUUUTTTT" to try and get the money you should is pretty tuff these days. I think resale hurts the boating deal, especially v-drives in general. But if your like me it becomes a labor of love and that damn boat can just sit in the garage before I'd sell it for .10 on the dollar :D :cool: I liked Borget's line..It went "something" like this.."I like to gamble,I have to many toys, I spend alot of money & I have a boating problem"..
Now that's a guy I'd like to relate to...

1Bahnerjet
09-04-2003, 07:56 PM
He had Like 3 Boats the one they showed was like a 36' Daytona, I wonder how much lake it takes to even turn that thing around? (at least 36' anyway)
---------
Thats BANNER with an H