PDA

View Full Version : southwind setup

dtr352
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
I have a 77 swtd that I am building. Will this boat benefit from a shoe and ride plate? What about a droop. The boat is a light layup and right now will probably only have about 500hp, more to come later. How much should I expect to pay to have the shoe and ride plate installed? The boat is completly stripped right now except for the tanks and intake. Any imput would be apreciated.

Nucking futs
09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
how much does it weigh?

Nucking futs
09-26-2006, 10:58 AM
It would benifit from all of the above mentioned. just need to take the time to set it up.Just becarefull you don't drag the droop and nozzle.
You have any pics?

dtr352
09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
It would benifit from all of the above mentioned. just need to take the time to set it up.Just becarefull you don't drag the droop and nozzle.
You have any pics?
Sorry for the delayed response, I had some computer trouble. Which is also why I don't have pics. I think it is a fairly light layup, but I don't know the exact weight. I wouldm't walk on the deck, lol. I saw in another post someone said about $400 for shoe and ride plate installed, does that sound about right? Who in so cal knows southwinds and could do the work for a reasoneable cost? I know you get what you pay for so I don't need someone to do it in an alley for $30 and a beer but I don't want to be bent over either.

moneysucker
09-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Tom Papp Racing does great work. Vic at Desert Yacht Performance Marine in Yuma also knows his stuff. I would not recomend having someone who does not know what they are doing reset your intake. Use a proffessional. Pay the price and cry only once. Droops are a definate for the Swtd. My brother and I both have swtds and have spent some time trying to squeeze as much out of them as possible. We are finally getting some real #s out of them and have learned a lot along the way. They were in June 2006 Hot Boat Magazine. The track is helping us determine exactly what does what in these boats and my brothers crew chief has extensive notes on these changes. To reach us we are on the Moneysucker, Petrofied, Quack attack thread here on Just jets.

FOURQ
09-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Tom Papp Racing does great work. Vic at Desert Yacht Performance Marine in Yuma also knows his stuff. I would not recomend having someone who does not know what they are doing reset your intake. Use a proffessional. Pay the price and cry only once. Droops are a definate for the Swtd. My brother and I both have swtds and have spent some time trying to squeeze as much out of them as possible. We are finally getting some real #s out of them and have learned a lot along the way. They were in June 2006 Hot Boat Magazine. The track is helping us determine exactly what does what in these boats and my brothers crew chief has extensive notes on these changes. To reach us we are on the Moneysucker, Petrofied, Quack attack thread here on Just jets.
what you finally got yours to run?????? when did that happen??? last i heard the unblown ford passed your ass..lol.....
Sucka is right have a pro set your intake its just something you dont want to have done by someone that thinks they know what they are doing.. I ran a droop on mine and also had a shoe and ride plate. it is well worth the money. if nothing else you will get a little better ride if nothing else..

Nucking futs
09-28-2006, 07:03 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d601b3127cce8c5b0d932b1800000016101AZs2zdw5Zsd
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d601b3127cce8c5b02ce6bda00000016101AZs2zdw5Zsd
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d601b3127cce8c5b02b66ba200000016101AZs2zdw5Zsd \
Another one will be out soon....
Might wanna take a peak at the bottom if your going to pull the intake out. Just measure everything and see wheres its set now. Im assumeing you have never driven the boat to know how it handled. If you have, how did it ride?
There not that hard to install, just slap some silicone around it a slam it in, I hear thats how alot are coming these days.....j/k Call around to some shops and get a quote, theres alot of quality shops out there. Tom Papp, MPD, GSM ect...money well spent and your paying for the knowlage. Take some pics and post em up.

steelcomp
09-28-2006, 07:22 PM
If you really want to know about what's going on with a SWTD, contact bp here on the boards. He's got more general jet boat knowledge than most, and more SWTD experience than anyone else I know.

dtr352
09-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the imput everyone. I am going to try and get in touch with a couple shops this weekend. I will work on the pictures.

RubberDucky
09-28-2006, 08:09 PM
That yellow 003 boat looks way faster than the sucker. :crossx:

Nucking futs
09-28-2006, 08:35 PM
That yellow 003 boat looks way faster than the sucker. :crossx:
Looks??? It is way faster...lol
Yeah, BP has alot of knowlage with set ups. PM him , he should be able to streer you in the right direction.

JAY4SPEED
09-28-2006, 08:51 PM
If you really want to know about what's going on with a SWTD, contact bp here on the boards. He's got more general jet boat knowledge than most, and more SWTD experience than anyone else I know.
I've traded emails with BP and have learned more through him in a few emails than I could ever have in 10 years of research on my own with the SWTD. He definitely got me started off in the right direction. Bob is a very nice guy to boot! See if he'll help you out. I don't know if he's into setting intakes, but he can tell you how to tweak the setup to get the max out of the hull.
Jay

anger management
09-29-2006, 05:40 PM
not to high jack but the splash guard on rubber ducky appears alluminum
if so what thickness and did you make it yourself

bp
09-29-2006, 07:11 PM
thanks for the nice words, guys. always happy to talk swtd. if anyone has any questions, pm me. i don't bs, if i'm not certain about the answer, i'll tell ya.
sucker & duck, you guys should come to b'patch for the finals and get some reliability runs in, if you're planning on hitting the worlds.

dtr352
09-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Do you guys have numbers where I can rech some of these guys,ie Tom Papp, gs marine, mpd, or anyone else that could do the work right.

FOURQ
09-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Tom Papp (http://www.tompappracing.com/)
Phone: (951) 734-4606

FOURQ
09-30-2006, 03:10 PM
MPD (http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/)
949-631-2040

dtr352
09-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks

vee-driven
09-30-2006, 06:33 PM
i used to have a 77 swtd with a ford p.o.s. motor it blew and i gave the boat to my friend who sold it a while back it was yellow and had nos on it post some pics.

steelcomp
09-30-2006, 06:42 PM
i used to have a 77 swtd with a ford p.o.s. motor it blew and i gave the boat to my friend who sold it a while back it was yellow and had nos on it post some pics.If you gave it to your friend, why are you asking who sold it a while back? If it was yellow a while back, what color is it now?
post some pics of the boat that used to be yellow it had a ford and blew up a while back that you gave to a friend that was yellow who sold it anyway with nos stickers that you used to have.

vee-driven
09-30-2006, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=steelcomp]If you gave it to your friend, why are you asking who sold it a while back? If it was yellow a while back, what color is it now?
post some pics of the boat that used to be yellow it had a ford and blew up a while back that you gave to a friend that was yellow who sold it anyway with nos stickers that you used to have.[/QUOTE
WTF i aint drunk yet and that made no sense to me. i was simply stating what my 77swtd had and maybe he might have my old boat, because i havent seen many of those. umkay

steelcomp
09-30-2006, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=steelcomp]If you gave it to your friend, why are you asking who sold it a while back? If it was yellow a while back, what color is it now?
post some pics of the boat that used to be yellow it had a ford and blew up a while back that you gave to a friend that was yellow who sold it anyway with nos stickers that you used to have.[/QUOTE
WTF i aint drunk yet and that made no sense to me. i was simply stating what my 77swtd had and maybe he might have my old boat, because i havent seen many of those. umkayThen I'd hate to read your writing when you are drunk! LOL!!
I was just making fun of your writing. The lack of caps and punctuation made it a little hard to read. You remember...that stuff we learned in 5th grade? Periods, commas, capital letters at the beginning of sentences... :rolleyes:
All in fun...meant no harm. Sorry if I offended.

vee-driven
10-02-2006, 04:25 PM
I don"t have time for those phouckeing pesky caps, commas, periods., but i did it just for you. You and ratso should team up and become the "spelling police". lmfao