PDA

View Full Version : Laughlin to Needles

Community
09-26-2006, 02:51 PM
In the afternoon this weekend, how bad will it be trying to drive a ski boat from The Avi down toward Needles? I would prefer not to remove my running gear via a rock bar....
Any suggestions?

Havasu1986
09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I hope its a jet

Community
09-26-2006, 02:58 PM
does not sound promising....no its a comp ski boat....fairly shallow. we ski in some shallow stuff but it is usually sand.....

Nautitwins2
09-26-2006, 03:07 PM
does not sound promising....no its a comp ski boat....fairly shallow. we ski in some shallow stuff but it is usually sand.....
Not a problem at all. When you leave Laughlin and pass harrahs, stay close the houses in the morning. In the after noon no problem. Now the rock bars, once you no longer see any houses, there are a set of three or four bars, can not remember, stay to the AZ side. You can really see the bars. Once you get to the needles bridge it is deep all the way to havasu.
We have a Pro Air Nautique (direct drive) and we ski and board through this part of the river all the time. IT can be done, but just pay attention. If you question the depth stop and float for a while. It is better to hit the bar at river speed then 30 mph. You can just get out and walk the boat around it.

Water Romper
09-26-2006, 03:08 PM
That time of the day might be ok and being on a weekend is better however I question leaving in the “afternoon”…are you coming back? It can be a long drive back if the water level drops and you have to watch and navigate around rock/sand and islands your way up river…In the dark...I would leave earlier.
Watch for lice around Avi,

Nautitwins2
09-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Sorry, you said the AVI. Now it really is not a problem. One bar just past needles Marina on the CA side, but it is huge, you can not miss it. Once again stay the AZ side.

AirtimeLavey
09-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Even if the water level were to be "up", you really have to pay close attention, but I thought I heard the level's been a little down. It's mostly sand bars you're watching for. When I stay in Laughlin, I usually just tow to Needles. It's only 1/2 hr. or less, and not worth the worry. Good luck.

Community
09-26-2006, 04:01 PM
everyone...we are headed to Needles to see some folks and go boating from there. Hopefully ski if its not too busy. So head out of the avi, watch for the lice (or wonac's) where I come from, stay to the Arizona side and pay attention. Mostly Sand bars - good to hear its deep past Needles. I would like to see the gorge if possible.
I wrecked a good prop on my old spectra heading to the Avi from Harrah's, lice cut me off and I had to head right into a shallow spot. Like to avoid that....

MONEYFURNOTHIN
09-26-2006, 04:34 PM
I was up in that area last week and its pretty shallow right now. I would agree your safe after the needles bridge, but from the avi to the bridge is dicey.

CJ Skier
09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Keep an eye out for me as I will be making the journey in a 16ft white aluminum boat. I am leaving my Nautique behind.
We are leaving Laughlin and trying to make it all the way to the Sandbar.
Have fun. Be safe!
CJ

bunny 166
09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I was up in that area last week and its pretty shallow right now. I would agree your safe after the needles bridge, but from the avi to the bridge is dicey.
I agree...We have a place in Needles, but have not been since Labor Day. I know in years past late September through winter can be tricky...Coming down from AVI, there are a few shallow spots, but they're pretty visible...the Arizona side is pretty good as a rule...there is a huge rock bar just past Willow Valley and it is UGLY :220v: ...definitely not sand ......Hug the Arizona side and watch for logs and other stuff in the water right there....Once you get to all the trailers on the California side (where we are) there is a big shallow spot as well...head toward the middle. Then it's back to the Arizona side....after the Needles Bridge you're good to go....
Good luck and trim up!!! :crossx:

whiteworks
09-26-2006, 06:51 PM
prerun it on a jet ski in the morning. make mental notes of land marks and shallow spots. there is a house on the california side with palm trees that grow sideways, huge rock bar out in front stick az. side. thats about the last of it as your heading south. if the docks are on the dirt the water is down.

AirtimeLavey
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
watch out for the semi-submerged trees on the AZ side. You'll see what I'm talking about when you're near them.

Speedin' Ian
09-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey man I'll be up there this weekend... hope to see you there! Why not tow the boat down to Needles and launch from there?

ahhell
09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
The waters way down now, yesterday it looked to be 4+ feet down at needles bridge...bring an extra prop

Big Kahunaa
09-26-2006, 08:18 PM
...there is a huge rock bar just past Willow Valley and it is UGLY :220v: :crossx:
that thing is huge i watched a dude hit it dead square ugly

Riomouse911
09-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I just took a lovely tulip-shaped Acme prop to Bronson for a customer this last week. It was beyond hope, as was the rudder, shaft and shaft support. Hello, rock-bar N of Needles, I see you claimed yet another direct drive victim!
Save the potential grief, launch at Needles and go south. Your deductable will thank you.

RitcheyRch
09-27-2006, 04:07 AM
I think this is the same rock bar that shoved my buddies direct drive up into the boat.
I just took a lovely tulip-shaped Acme prop to Bronson for a customer this last week. It was beyond hope, as was the rudder, shaft and shaft support. Hello, rock-bar N of Needles, I see you claimed yet another direct drive victim!
Save the potential grief, launch at Needles and go south. Your deductable will thank you.

Riomouse911
09-27-2006, 04:31 AM
That bar has claimed more boaters than the Roadrunner, Kokomo's and the Agave Inn combined... :D

Community
10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, we saw a lot of old friends out there and had a great time. Never enough though so can't wait to go back. Me and my insurance agent thank you for all the info...
We launched on Friday at the Avi. Went out headed toward the AZ side and went south. Right about the time we came to a place on the CA side with a crazy a** launch ramp, not sure how many torque converters they go through in a year, it was getting pretty sketchy. Not wanting to ruin my weekend before it really started we headed back and put it back on the trailer. We headed down and launched from Needles Marina Saturday and had a ball. What a great stretch of river and I am sure we barely covered an 1/8 of it before Havasu. All sorts of long sandy beaches. We also succesfully put the boats back on the trailers with no running gear dinged and/or missing.
Was not much of a skiing crowd out there and my ski never made it out of the boat - next time maybe.

AirtimeLavey
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, we saw a lot of old friends out there and had a great time. Never enough though so can't wait to go back. Me and my insurance agent thank you for all the info...
We launched on Friday at the Avi. Went out headed toward the AZ side and went south. Right about the time we came to a place on the CA side with a crazy a** launch ramp, not sure how many torque converters they go through in a year, it was getting pretty sketchy. Not wanting to ruin my weekend before it really started we headed back and put it back on the trailer. We headed down and launched from Needles Marina Saturday and had a ball. What a great stretch of river and I am sure we barely covered an 1/8 of it before Havasu. All sorts of long sandy beaches. We also succesfully put the boats back on the trailers with no running gear dinged and/or missing.
Was not much of a skiing crowd out there and my ski never made it out of the boat - next time maybe.
Good move. Would've sucked to read about a different ending.... :cool: