PDA

View Full Version : 600 HP 6000 RPM HP Marine Diesel Package

Grinnin'B
09-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Just Curious... How Many Hot Boaters would be interested in a Diesel or Bio Diesel package for your boats?????
Yes I am part of a team that is considering offering this to the Marine Community.
Grinnin.

Mandelon
09-26-2006, 04:58 PM
If you can one get to run off "recycled" beer....that'd be good. :cool:

Grinnin'B
09-26-2006, 05:03 PM
If you can one get to run off "recycled" beer....that'd be good. :cool:
I was thinkin' drain the que into the tank!!!!! LMAO

u4ea32
09-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Its HP and weight that matters.
Plenty of 600 HP diesels that weigh 3000 lbs.
I am actively getting quotes to pull the twin 454 Magnum EFIs out and replace with Diesel.
I am also exploring changing to a single with the not-yet-announced Weismann "blackhawk that won't break" drive.
If I was to pull the trigger today: twin 190 HP Volvo Pentas. I'll still be able to top out at 50, and cruise all day at 35 to 40 getting about 3 miles per gallon instead of 1. A big reason for the MPG improvement is the engines are so much lighter, it will get about 1200 lbs out of the aft end of the boat, which will mean less tabs needed, which saves a LOT of fuel at these lower speeds.
Sure, I won't be able to go 70 anymore, but I hardly ever do anyway. But I'll only spend $100 instead of $300 on a weekend. That I'll notice.
If I wait until Christmas or so, then the new Yanmar BY260 will be available. That's the BMW diesel that is widely recognized as the best diesel in Europe. At 4000 I should see nearly 60, and can cruise all day at 3300 at 50 mph burning 20 gph, 2.5 mpg.
Still, probably will go Volvo Penta -- easier to service, small, light, simple.
In either case, after a put 1000 or 2000 hours on the engines, there will still be a LOT of life, and therefore a LOT of value left.

KreatinKaos
09-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Hmm ... how would it compare to a 600 hp seatek diesel ?

Boatlesss
09-26-2006, 05:34 PM
I am also exploring changing to a single with the not-yet-announced Weismann "blackhawk that won't break" drive.
How much $$ will this cost?

Tom Brown
09-26-2006, 05:41 PM
I'd be interested in a 600 hp diesel outboard if you could bring the whole assembly in under 400 lbs. :cool:
You got brochures and shit?

Trash
09-26-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd be interested IF there was more diesel availability on the lakes, specifically the Colorado River chain (Powell to Parker).

Jordy
09-26-2006, 06:38 PM
6,000 rpm??? :idea:

Grinnin'B
09-26-2006, 07:33 PM
U4ea32- Check your PM I would love to chat about your search.
For all, I realize the challenges with diesel packages. However here is a litle more info.
Weight will be around 900lbs for the GM platform and 1000lbs for the Cummins
our team has alot of depth in performance diesel applications. There will be options for single and twin turbo, Propane injection, and proprietary intake and exhaust systems that significantly decrease the odor and particulate discharge.
Jordy....whats up Team Turnkey.....I havent been around since the explosion and ultimate birth of the team turnkey way of life...however i assume all is well. I havent seen the TT Foundation yet....however am looking forward to the Rigatta in 07. I know the 6000 rpm is more than a little suspicious...and I promise i will back it up. the Engineers are pulling(pun intended) for the Tractor pull experience in the Team.
The goal is to produce a 32V with a twin Bio Diesel set up that will run over 100.
I realize the challenges with fuel on the lake however with a 30-40% increase in efficiency fuel on the water becomes less of an issue. Less yes and still an issue.
We are creating something very differnt that Sea-Tek's amazing powerplants. as mentioned earlier weight is the issue. The Sea-Tek 650 is just under 2000 lbs. adn wont fit most US sport boat applications. Ours will.
Hmmmm 600hp Diesel Outboard. Drinking over the keyboard again???
Keep firing this is great fodder for tommorow s conferance call.
Grinnin

spectras only
09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
I've heard that Steyr is coming out with a lightweight 600 HP monoblock :idea:
http://www.steyr-motors.com/news/media_256.htm

squirt'nmyload
09-26-2006, 08:07 PM
I'd be interested in a 600 hp diesel outboard if you could bring the whole assembly in under 400 lbs. :cool:
You got brochures and shit?
rotflmfao!!!!!!!

Jordy
09-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I know the 6000 rpm is more than a little suspicious...and I promise i will back it up. the Engineers are pulling(pun intended) for the Tractor pull experience in the Team.
I'm definately curious having been around diesels pretty much my whole life. The ones I deal with on a daily basis typically just run a steady 1,800 rpm making 60hz. 6,000 is screaming and I'd love to see it and how it works out. Have often kicked around finding a Top Gun with no power and throwing a pair of hopped up Duramaxes in it, then the problem becomes the outdrives, much like in the gassers. What have you guys got in the wings for drives, if I can ask??? :idea: :D

Boatlesss
09-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm definately curious having been around diesels pretty much my whole life. The ones I deal with on a daily basis typically just run a steady 1,800 rpm making 60hz. 6,000 is screaming and I'd love to see it and how it works out. Have often kicked around finding a Top Gun with no power and throwing a pair of hopped up Duramaxes in it, then the problem becomes the outdrives, much like in the gassers. What have you guys got in the wings for drives, if I can ask??? :idea: :D
Does anyone know of Gale Banks is modifying the Duramax engine for more power and marine applications?

deltaAce
09-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Rotax should manufacture a large displacement, all aluminum, supercharged 500ci 2-stroke V8? What do you think would happen when that thing came "on the pipe" at 7,000 RPM? :rollside:

phebus
09-27-2006, 05:23 AM
With all the torque a diesel produces, what kind of drive do you plan on using?

Grinnin'B
09-27-2006, 05:37 AM
Will let you know asap. Currently in negotiations with a drive manufacturer. In my opinion the drive issues are paramount. However we have good information that we havea solid solution.

ZBODaytona
09-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Does anyone know of Gale Banks is modifying the Duramax engine for more power and marine applications?
I have been hearing there is a MTI coming soon that will have the twin turbo d-maxs in it (with some custom 2 or 3 speed trannies), something about on the water in the next month or so. Again this is just what i have heard, by the way I have been hearing this for about 5 months......still those twin turbo dmaxs he is building look like they would be a great setup...I would like to build a boat with them..about the same weight as a BBC and with 750 hp and 1000lbs sounds like a nice setup

burtandnancy
09-27-2006, 07:29 AM
How about 1 powerful diesel feeding into an IMCO splitter and two shiftable drives? Would distribute the torque and still work around a marina (wakeless speeds)?

rude235
09-27-2006, 07:46 AM
sounds interesting. want to put one in a 25 daytona (free of charge of course) :rollside: we'll consider it R&D :idea: :)

Dave C
09-27-2006, 07:47 AM
two duramaxes would be bad ass.
surface drives would work... but then you have two butcher knives hanging out the back :yuk:

spectras only
09-27-2006, 08:17 AM
With all the torque a diesel produces, what kind of drive do you plan on using?
I had these [ 250 HP 4.2 and 7.3 300 HP later ] in my boat for years ,
B 1X diesel drives ,they're still with the boat .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/12001sidneypokerrun016-med.jpg

Boatlesss
09-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Will let you know asap. Currently in negotiations with a drive manufacturer. In my opinion the drive issues are paramount. However we have good information that we havea solid solution.
Have you guys been in contact with the people at Arneson?

BADAXE
09-27-2006, 09:52 AM
How about 1 powerful diesel feeding into an IMCO splitter and two shiftable drives? Would distribute the torque and still work around a marina (wakeless speeds)?
Hey Burt, didn't Fred put duramax's in that 44 foot hallett?

ECeptor
09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure why you are shooting for 6000rpm to get the 600hp. That seems like a good spec for a nice 502 gas engine, not a pumped up DMax or Cummins.
As for drives, if your engines will have torque curves anything like the one's I've seen for Banks (seen in HotRod mag), then you will be near 1000ft-lbs and therefore limiting the life of an Bravo based drive.
How about initial cost? Do you have targets or goals you can share? I assume there will be a preminum over a 600hp 6000rpm BBC, but if it's too big you won't win over the majority of the boating population.
How about a 400hp 5,000rpm lower cost, lower weight version for the masses? Call it a 496HO replacement...

spectras only
09-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Eceptor , the 7.3 D-Tronics in my boat revved to 4200 . Had through prop exhaust , I'm sure it would have sounded great with through hulls for the HP junkies :). Talked to a guy with a 06 D-Max truck last weekend ,chipped , fattened [ smokes like a b....tch on power take off ] he's got 1050* torque @ 1800 , showing on the dyno sheet , he's on his second allison tranny , only towing a new 23' Baja :rollside: .

Grinnin'B
09-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure why you are shooting for 6000rpm to get the 600hp. That seems like a good spec for a nice 502 gas engine, not a pumped up DMax or Cummins.
As for drives, if your engines will have torque curves anything like the one's I've seen for Banks (seen in HotRod mag), then you will be near 1000ft-lbs and therefore limiting the life of an Bravo based drive.
How about initial cost? Do you have targets or goals you can share? I assume there will be a preminum over a 600hp 6000rpm BBC, but if it's too big you won't win over the majority of the boating population.
How about a 400hp 5,000rpm lower cost, lower weight version for the masses? Call it a 496HO replacement...
Gents you are all asking the same questions I did when I started this a year ago.
SO...Simply we are not talking to merc. Yes my application will be the "Biggest and Best" that we have to offer right now. Scaled lower HP versions will be accessible immidiatly. Cost will not exceed A HP BBC and will be competetive, this is a priority for us. To release costs now would simply create the opportunity to shoot myself in the forehead and ask for shots from all in the HB gallery already lickin' there chops.
One piece though the lower HP offerings will not save that much weight.
Stectre ...I would love to talk to you.please pm me your contact info.
Those look like similar installs to our Cummins package we are going to offer. For applications that have the room it is the way I wanted to go.
I am looking forward to offering up some engineering #'s and more specific's in a couple of weeks.
Lets keep this going........
B

Insurance God
09-27-2006, 02:24 PM
I'd be interested IF there was more diesel availability on the lakes, specifically the Colorado River chain (Powell to Parker).
That's a good point.
FYI - Some insurance carriers give a discount for diesel.

Froggystyle
09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I spoke with Banks last week regarding this. The Dual Jet version of our boat would make this a great fit since we can change the gear ratio quite a bit if need be.
I have to find a diesel variant for some other work we are pursuing right now. Not "would like to" but "have to".
I am interested in what is being proposed, and I have a drive that will take it already.

SB
09-27-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm all for diesels for people who want to cruise around.
But diesels tend to smoke on acceleration. I'm pulling watertoys all day, on the gas, off the gas, accelerating all day. I don't need one.
I don't see the point of shooting for HP at 6000 rpm.

spectras only
09-27-2006, 03:13 PM
SB , if you go through prop [ like cruiser guys like it ] smoke is not an issue .
While back [ like 20yrs ago ] guy I knew ,converted his open cockpit 38 Magnum to diesels. Noone wanted to go with him anymore , because of the smoke /smell always came back to the cockpit :rolleyes: . The same reason why some rag boaters prefer a center cockpit model , while putt putting around.

Boatlesss
09-27-2006, 07:56 PM
I spoke with Banks last week regarding this. The Dual Jet version of our boat would make this a great fit since we can change the gear ratio quite a bit if need be.
I have to find a diesel variant for some other work we are pursuing right now. Not "would like to" but "have to".
I am interested in what is being proposed, and I have a drive that will take it already.
So was or is Gale Banks doing anything with these engines for the marine business?

Grinnin'B
09-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Folks... This is the kind of dialogue I was hoping for. Any time the cream of the ctrop is thrown into the mix(Banks, Sea-Tek etc.) there is a market. For those that are interested.....I will offer the correct engine specs within 2 weeks. and the outdrive partner within 3 weeks. PLEASE blast your questions it will offer us an opportunity to provide a better product!!!
Grinnin' B

Boatlesss
09-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Folks... This is the kind of dialogue I was hoping for. Any time the cream of the ctrop is thrown into the mix(Banks, Sea-Tek etc.) there is a market. For those that are interested.....I will offer the correct engine specs within 2 weeks. and the outdrive partner within 3 weeks. PLEASE blast your questions it will offer us an opportunity to provide a better product!!!
Grinnin' B
I am sorry, are you also marinizing a Duramax in addition to BANKs or are you making your own engine?
It seems that since you have not commented on the outdrive you must have contact Weismann like the others claimed. Should be an interesting project.

Grinnin'B
09-29-2006, 07:22 AM
just to clarify...we are not woking with Banks, or wiessman. pardon the mystery and fluff. Data is coming.
Froggy ....called the shop this morning. hit me back when you can.
B

LCexplorer
10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
This wouldn't be the VW V10 diesel marine effort that I have been hearing about? Probably not considering the use of a 32 Valve motor. Based on the information provided a 900 lb 32 Valve diesel would probably be the use of a Duramax block as it's the only one that can achieve such a weight. It's International 6.0L Powerstroke counterpart is well over that in short block form. That coupled with the experience of guys in the tractor pulling arena it would stand to reason, plus with all the hop up parts becoming available a substained 6000 rpm redline is attainable. I believe the reason for a such a high rpm redline would be two fold: one to deliver gas engine like performance and two to "stretch" the torque curve such that the low down torque diesel usually exibit would be moved up the rpm range to make it easier on the drivetrain (outdrive). Making Horsepower out of a diesel nowadays is not the problem for marine engines and outdrives, it's staying under the 650 lb-ft rating that the Arneson ASD6 and the more likely 738 LB-ft rating that Konrad 520/540 drives have with rendering decent horsepower at those torque limits. If I am anywhere close, I just have a few questions if you don't mind. Thanks!

Boatlesss
10-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Arneson makes more than one drive unit, and from the ratings on thier web site, the #6 is 750, the #8 is 1200 lbs of torque and so on and so on.
This is why they are popular with the diesel market as they have a size that can accomodate nearly any diesel engine made.