PDA

View Full Version : Pop Off Or Jet Away

BLOWN JOB
09-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Thinking Of Doing One Wats The Pro An Cons Of Bolth

BLEWBAYOU1
09-26-2006, 08:07 PM
The Jet-a-way is great so you can run the boat on the trailer without any wear on the pump.(wear ring)And you still have the safety factor if you lock up at speed.
Brian

UBFJ #454
09-26-2006, 08:07 PM
No Or involved ... Different devices to accomplish different things ... PopOff relieves water pressure going through the nozzle settling the boat and slowing its forward motion ... Jet-A-Way isolates the motor from the pump, good if either locks up.

atxwrangler
09-26-2006, 08:30 PM
I Bought The Jetaway,because I May Not Have The Time Or Snap To React Quick Enough In Case Of A High Speed Power Loss.the Jetaway Will Ratchet Without My Having To Think Or Do.just My Opinion.

TRG
09-26-2006, 08:39 PM
if im not mistaken?...cant a pop-off be set when the intake preasure spikes too much preasure? I thought that some race boats are set up that way?
I could be wrong!
Todd

sdba069
09-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey Marty.. you know that we do sell those. I put both in our new Cheyenne PGJ. With the gearbox, had to do some finagling to get the motor where I wanted it. The Jetaway is great for running the boat on the trailer and it can certainly help in the case of engine failure or a rapid deceleration from backing out too hard or something along that line. It does absolutely nothing in the case of a catastrophic pump failure(lock up). That's where the popoff comes in handy. Marty, in most cases, the popoff is set off automatically with excessive intake pressure or you can manually engage it. You can adjust it to open with different pressures according to what is excessive for a certain boat.

poncho-pwr
09-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Why is it that you see the popoffs open up when they shouldn't so often at the races? I remember being at both the Ft. Worth & Waco, Texas races in either 2000 or 2001 when almost every big hitter jet boat there with a popoff had trouble making a pass without the thing malfunctioning. At the time I didn't know what a popoff was so I stopped by the Head over heals PGJ pit and asked them about it and what it did(very nice people by the way) and they explained to me what it was designed to do. They also were cussing it all weekend and said they were having hell with it going off in the middle of a run. There was also a BFJ at Waco that kept blowing the valve open and having trouble with it. What causes this? I also hear everyone recommend the Nelson popoff over the other/others, but they do not give an explaination why the Nelson is better. After someone recommends the Nelson popoff they procede to tell you that you can't find a new one and nobody wants to sell their used one. If it is indeed a better popoff then why aren't they still made? Sorry for asking all these questions in your thread BLOWN JOB.

BLOWN JOB
09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
this is what i wanted to know

UBFJ #454
09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
"If it is indeed a better popoff then why aren't they still made?"
It is indeed a very well designed and, functional PopOff ... Its the one we choose to run.
Very simply put, the reason their no longer made is Dan Nelson (the PopOff's designer, manufacturer & owner of Jett Performance Marine here in Phoenix) decided he didn't want to make and sell them anymore ... His personal choice for his own reasons.

atxwrangler
09-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey Marty.. you know that we do sell those. I put both in our new Cheyenne PGJ. With the gearbox, had to do some finagling to get the motor where I wanted it. The Jetaway is great for running the boat on the trailer and it can certainly help in the case of engine failure or a rapid deceleration from backing out too hard or something along that line. It does absolutely nothing in the case of a catastrophic pump failure(lock up). That's where the popoff comes in handy. Marty, in most cases, the popoff is set off automatically with excessive intake pressure or you can manually engage it. You can adjust it to open with different pressures according to what is excessive for a certain boat.
THANX GARY,I WANT TO PICK YOUR BRAIN AT PLOWMANS!

ONAROLL
09-27-2006, 01:40 AM
"If it is indeed a better popoff then why aren't they still made?"
It is indeed a very well designed and, functional PopOff ... Its the one we choose to run.
Very simply put, the reason their no longer made is Dan Nelson (the PopOff's designer, manufacturer & owner of Jett Performance Marine here in Phoenix) decided he didn't want to make and sell them anymore ... His personal choice for his own reasons.
can you imagine the liability that goes with this little item, it would have to have one hell of a profit margin...........and mine works just as designed also................Vic

LUVNLIFE
09-27-2006, 04:27 AM
If you can only afford to do one, I say start with the Jet-a-way. Later add the popoff. If you can do both all the better and safer. :cool:

Scoobinator
09-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Pop offs you really need if you go 120mph+ other wise a jetaway will be ideal

sdba069
09-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, if money is a factor, HA, the Jetaway is around $1200 and the Popoff is over $2000. Minimun machine work for the ratchet and a little more complicated process for the popoff plus installation of the controls. Sometimes there is glass work required for the installation of the popoff also. Ratchet requires either moving the motor about 4 1/2" forward or shortening the driveshaft or a combination of both. I run ratchets in all the performance tunnels that we do and even some V hulls, but not a lot of popoffs.

UBFJ #454
09-27-2006, 08:45 PM
PopOffs were designed & made as Safety Devices to be used on 1/4 Milers running in the Quicker (8 Second & ProMod) Brackets and the Pro Classes. Most are relatively intricate devices which require a high degree of maintaince to keep them in Perfect Working Order at all times and as such do not lend themselves to everyday recreational use.

BLOWN JOB
09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
so scoobinator your saying if my boat doesnt do 120 its worth less i dont agree at 60 70 or what ever speed it will help i just dont know what one to go with thats why im on here

pattymelt18
09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
so scoobinator your saying if my boat doesnt do 120 its worth less i dont agree at 60 70 or what ever speed it will help i just dont know what one to go with thats why im on here
at 60 or 70 you hit a popoff youll probably have somepeople turning there heads you dont popit and then close it then pop it again, its serious sh.t is what these guys are saying.

HBjet
09-27-2006, 10:29 PM
If your going over 80 mph and that motor locks up and you have a jetaway, you still might be taking a dip. I would get a jetaway because it does help in that situation, and its great for tunning on the trailer, but I would focus on the motor, and make sure it doesn't lock up to begin with.
HBjet