PDA

View Full Version : Puttin' It Too Deep?

dirty old man
09-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Been hearing from some of my friends around Lake Mead, that they're getting a lot of differentials with water in them. Milk Shake! Some of you are backing in WAY too far, the heat sucks water in. Better check it out

Froggystyle
09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Been hearing from some of my friends around Lake Mead, that they're getting a lot of differentials with water in them. Milk Shake! Some of you are backing in WAY too far, the heat sucks water in. Better check it out
Most diffs are not vented properly for backing boats in. Lake Mead, up at Echo Bay was the deepest I have had to back in yet this summer just to get off the trailer. I damn near had the back doors getting wet.
You need to take the little valved vent port on the top of the differential and put a fitting on that will allow you to put a tube on it. Run the tube up the fuel fill and put the same little valved vent right back on the tube. Make sure it is vertical-ish when you mount it.
This should take care of all of those problems. The seals should keep 1' of water out with no problems.

The Jerk
09-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Wouldnt your rear end have to leak in order to take on water in. Or am i missing something. Good advise either way....
j

VictoryIzMine
09-27-2006, 09:51 AM
If I'm not mistaken, most differentials have at least a breather hole/plug on the top of the housing to relieve pressure that builds up. Otherwise you would start blowing seals. If the breather gets submerged, water can leak in through there. At least on 2WD vehicles. As for 4WD, most are already equipped with a tube that runs from the diff housing to the top of the wheel well. At least that's the way it is on my 2500HD.

Sportin' Wood
09-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Just slip a deflated water ballon over the top of the vent before you back it in.
I have seen a few guys in Rock crawling use a simular devive to retain fluid in the event of a roll over.
Extending the hose would be a good fix but if your as lazy as me a water ballon works just fine.

dirty old man
09-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Mead just dropped another foot Next week will be fun watching all those offshore boats launch (where?)

x7734x
09-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Mead just dropped another foot Next week will be fun watching all those offshore boats launch (where?)
I was thinking the same thing the may have to crane them in.
Are you going out for the races? I will be out there for the weekend if you see my boat (in my avatar) stop by and say hi.

burtandnancy
09-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Heard from a (fairly) reliable source they will be launching and docking off special events beach with a crane...

XTRM22
09-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Most diffs are not vented properly for backing boats in. Lake Mead, up at Echo Bay was the deepest I have had to back in yet this summer just to get off the trailer. I damn near had the back doors getting wet.
You need to take the little valved vent port on the top of the differential and put a fitting on that will allow you to put a tube on it. Run the tube up the fuel fill and put the same little valved vent right back on the tube. Make sure it is vertical-ish when you mount it.
This should take care of all of those problems. The seals should keep 1' of water out with no problems.
You got all this right, but did you know that some vehicles have a little vent hole on the drive shaft? Supposedly there for heat expansion during manuf. and during use. My 94 GMC had it, found out after backing in at Horse pasture on Roosevelt, all the way to the door panels to get the boat off the trailer. On the way home the truck would go into a wild violent vibration over 30 mph. While taking off the drive shaft to check the output bearings on the transfer case I noticed water dripping out of the drive shaft. Amazing how outa balance a quart of water will throw a drive shaft!
Chuck