PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Fryers

Caribbean Jet
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Has anyone used one of these and is it as easy as they say. Were going Camping for Thanksgiving and I'm looking into buying one.

OGShocker
09-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Has anyone used one of these and is it as easy as they say. Were going Camping for Thanksgiving and I'm looking into buying one.
Try it a home before you cook in the forest.. TRUST ME!!
OK, edit!
I would only use a Stainless cooker (not aluminium) when cooking a turkey. Peanut oil is recommended but canola oil works very well and is 1/5 the price.
Heat the required amount of oil to around 425f before the bird goes in. Maintain the temp to 375F while cooking. I cook ours to 7-8 minutes a pound, checking the temp OFTEN!. Before cooking I inject the bird with lemon juice, coat the outside with egg whites so my seasoning sticks to the bird. I use a quality Cajun seasoning like Tony's or Louisiana brands.
Good luck, you will never cook turkey in an oven again.

Bradman
09-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I usually deep fry a Turkey every year. They are easy to use, but can make one heck of a mess. I like to deep fry smaller Turkey's 13 to 16 lbs. Less mess and less peanut oil has to be used.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-27-2006, 11:34 AM
here is a good trick for you. Put the turkey in it and then fill it with water. Then remove the turkey and mark the water line. then fill your oil to that line and you won't have to worry about it overflowing and catching on fire and being shown on the news Thanksgiving weekend. :rollside:

Lightning
09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
What she said, also it helps to have the turkey out of the frig for a while so it's not super cold and put it in the pot SLOWLY.....

Havasu47
09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
here is a good trick for you. Put the turkey in it and then fill it with water. Then remove the turkey and mark the water line. then fill your oil to that line and you won't have to worry about it overflowing and catching on fire and being shown on the news Thanksgiving weekend. :rollside:
Sorry.... no common sense allowed on these forums!!!! :D

slink
09-27-2006, 11:40 AM
exactly. Just make sure and pat down (dry) the water off/out of the turkey before you put it in the boiling oil.

Her454
09-27-2006, 11:43 AM
and catching on fire and being shown on the news Thanksgiving weekend. :rollside:
Ms BoardsMenEnJay - Hope thats not speaking from experience LOL! :rollside:

OGShocker
09-27-2006, 11:44 AM
More information here (http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/fried-turk.html)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Ms BoardsMenEnJay - Hope thats not speaking from experience LOL! :rollside:
LOL! Not from experience. Just a trick my brother told me. :rollside:

Caribbean Jet
09-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all of the quick responses. I will take and use your advice. We'll be at Ocotillo Wells this year for the holiday. Let me know if your going to be out there.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all of the quick responses. I will take and use your advice. We'll be at Ocotillo Wells this year for the holiday. Let me know if your going to be out there.
We will be there too. I can't wait! :rollside:

Caribbean Jet
09-27-2006, 12:01 PM
We will be there too. I can't wait! :rollside:
This will be our first trip out there for this long weekend, when do you usually go? We're thinking either Wednesday morning or Tuesday evening.

RitcheyRch
09-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Can always leave the turkey in the wrapping while you do that part.
exactly. Just make sure and pat down (dry) the water off/out of the turkey before you put it in the boiling oil.

Mrs. casean
09-27-2006, 12:18 PM
We'll be out too... we always BBQ our turkeys though. They turn out so tasty! We usually do two different ones along w/ all the fixin's. MMM I'm excited for Thanksgiving... such a fun weekend out there! But crowded :rolleyes: but it's crowded everywhere it seems. You'll have a great time out there.... so fun to camp and cook turkeys and everything!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-27-2006, 12:59 PM
This will be our first trip out there for this long weekend, when do you usually go? We're thinking either Wednesday morning or Tuesday evening.
We usually camp of Cahuilla Trail and usually get there wedns. night but others in our Thanksgiving crew head out earlier in the week. Its pretty crowded over T-day weekend but super fun. :p

Badger301
09-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Deep Fryed Turkey is the best....I got my Fryer at BBQ Galore...they also have different kinds of seasoning and Injectable Marinade...I like the Creole Butter myself....Inject the bird the night before to get a nice juicy bird and enjoy...oh and dont wait till the last minute to get your seasoning or marinade...you'll be :cry:

SHOTKALLIN
09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
I bought an electric one. didn't want to burn the house down. I love it.

lalhc
09-27-2006, 01:37 PM
I deep fry one or two turkeys every Thanksgiving. I like to inject sauces into mine. With the correct temp, it only takes 3 minutes per pound to cook.

squirt'nmyload
09-27-2006, 02:13 PM
used to do it all the time till one year while we were eating my dogs tipped over the fryer and licked up all the oil (thank god it was in the backyard) http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/00000036.gif they were sick for 2 days and barfing all over the place......one thanksgiving i'll never forget

SmokinLowriderSS
09-27-2006, 02:20 PM
If ya lived arround here, I'd consider selling ya mine. Bought it to help out some friends on a campout and be one of the cooks, and have used it once else. They are ok, the inject-marinades are a good thing, but we much prefer the ones that come out of my smoker after 11 hours over Mesquite wood with Water, Bourbon, Honey, & Mustard in the water/drip pan.
Gravy makins' comes from the drip pan. :)

RitcheyRch
09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
I've only had deep fried turkey once in my life and will never forget that taste. Have always thought about buying a fryer and doing one myself.