PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers suggestions for a 1500HD 6.0L GMC Sierra

kingsransomracing
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I was looking at getting a new muffler on my 6.0L GMC 1500HD, but don't know what sounds good, and what doesn't.
I was thinking of a 3-chamber flowmaster (my muffler has 2 inlets and one outlet)...what does everyone else suggest.
I want a nice sound, not to loud, and nothing that "pops" when letting off the gas.
Suggestions?? Thanks

Zaairman
09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Well, I've got a Flowmaster 40 series on my truck, and it pops if you rev it up. You'd probably be happy with a Flowmaster 50 series, or maybe a Magnaflow. Don't know anything about them though...

fourspeednup
09-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Have the Gibson exhaust on my 1/2 ton. Sounds cool...not too loud but enough that it sounds good around town without droning on the freeway. And the Gibson's are avid boaters so if you have a problem you can flame away on the boards J/K :D :D

HALLETT BOY
09-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I have a 3/4 ton with a 6.0L .I have tried about three after market performance
mufflers, they all resonate for some reason...I finally put the big block flow - master back on and live with the resonance. All the muffler shops have said for some reason , the 6.0L does resonate for some reason, maybe the firing order ?
By the way, the flow - master seemed to have the most power.

Jeanyus
09-28-2006, 05:29 AM
I'm gonna try a Flo-Pro. Sounds better not to loud. http://www.completeexhaust.com/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=1261 they claim it does not resonate.

goneboatin
09-28-2006, 08:18 PM
I had a FloPro, you might as well leave it stock. It was quieter than stock.
I did the Corsa (http://www.corsaperf.com/trucks_suvs.htm). It's a little pricey, but it sounds great! I found a system on Ebay for about 60% off retail.
I've got the Sport (#14296), which I love, but if I did it again, I go with the Touring muffler (#14294). When I tow, the Sport lets you know it's there every time you hit a grade. It's not loud or annoying, it just annouces its presence. The Touring is just supposed to be a little quieter on the inside, but loud as hell on the outside. It's amazing how this muffler works, you don't get any rumble or even notice it a cruise, but hit passing gear and it comes alive! But not in an annoying way. You just need to check it out in person. They have sound bytes on the site, but the one on my truck has a slightly deeper roar.
Corsa does not make a system specific for the 1500HD / 2500 series, they say that GM changed the hanger configuration too many times to make it worthwhile. I bought a system for the 2500HD and had it modified by my muffler guy (Mike's Muffler in El Monte, he does very clean work!). It will be the last exhaust system you'll ever buy, it's that awesome.

kingsransomracing
09-29-2006, 06:45 AM
goneboatin...
I will look up corsa. Mike's muffler is right next to service center...I know that place real well :)
So which muffler do you like better the sport or the touring?
I am assuming I can just buy the muffler with no pipe?
I have a guy up in hesperia that can install the stuff for me cheap. with the exhaust hidden.

RUSHIN ROULETTE
09-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Go with a S.S. Magnaflow cat back system...

Cole Trickle
09-29-2006, 08:32 AM
The 6.0 like stated above resonates more than the other LSX based motors.
If it's a truck I would recomend the Magnaflow(I had it on my 03 1500HD and it performed and sounded good)
If it's a SUV I would recommend that you leave it stock(It resonates like a Bitch and there is no system on the market that will eliminate that!!)

kingsransomracing
09-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Cole,
how the resonants with the magnaflow??

goneboatin
09-29-2006, 11:09 AM
goneboatin...
I will look up corsa. Mike's muffler is right next to service center...I know that place real well :)
So which muffler do you like better the sport or the touring?
I am assuming I can just buy the muffler with no pipe?
I have a guy up in hesperia that can install the stuff for me cheap. with the exhaust hidden.
Corsa only sells complete kits. This way they can guarantee the results.
I have the Sport, but if I towed more than once or twice a year, I go the Touring route.
I tried everything I could, to buy just the muffler, but Corsa won't sell it that way. That's why I kept checking eBay. Some of the sport truck websites like Performance trucks.com (http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/) have members who want to get rid of thier Corsas since they are loud as hell with the cats removed. I'd hold out for a Corsa, at cruise you don't even hear it, but at full thottle it just sounds bitchen, not annoying at all. That's what I wanted - something that growls when I get on it, not something I need to turn down the radio everytime I want to carry on a conversation.
If you get the Corsa system, you'll want to show off the really cool twin outlet tip, not hide it.
Good luck.

rude235
09-29-2006, 12:56 PM
if you want to give me a few more details about your truck i can get you a price for a magnaflow and a gibson exhaust system.

MOBrien
09-29-2006, 01:46 PM
if you want to give me a few more details about your truck i can get you a price for a magnaflow and a gibson exhaust system.
what's up rude. I'm also in the market for a cat-back and have been looking at the Gibson and Magnaflow for my 2005 Z-71 Tahoe. Can you PM me some pricing? I've found the Gibson Dual Sport (aluminized side-exit) and the Magnaflow (stainless side-exit) cat-backs both for around $365 delivered just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Let me know & thanks.
-MOB

Cole Trickle
09-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Cole,
how the resonants with the magnaflow??
Magnaflow is pretty mellow compared to most of the other mufflers mentioned.(Corsa is pretty quiet and a nice system/The dyno has shown that Magnaflow will make more power than just about anyone due to having no baffels or chambers)
We tore off quite a few Flowmaster ststems and replaced them with Magnaflows and would see anywhere from a 5-15hp gain.
In the trucks the Magnaflow sounds good but in the SUV's anything that isn't stock is too loud.
Basuicly you will know it's there but you can still chat onthe phone or listen to the stereo.

rude235
09-29-2006, 10:08 PM
i checked on some pricing for you. without knowing which motor you have these are approximate prices. the magnaflow is about $454 and i would be willing to cover the shipping for that system. the gibson will run about about $384 and i would be willing to cover the shipping on that system as well.

rude235
09-29-2006, 10:12 PM
also MOB, check your pm's.............

kraig
10-03-2006, 04:53 AM
I went with the Flowmaster kit for the HD 6.0. Duel inlet singal outlet, sounds really good. Not to loud, seems just right.