PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing part III

SWW
06-21-2002, 05:44 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00126.JPG
Only kidding. Does any know where their is any Hardware for a old 409 the bellhousing mount is the same as any chevy. But the front of the motor is way diffrent I read a post were somebody used a electric water pump to cool the motor any input? Then making a mount for the front of the engine wouldnt be that hard. Oil pan it would have to to fabed.Ext manifolds? Has anybody seen any old ones if I ever did use this motor for the boat headers wouldn't fit the look If I can find some ext manifolds I might just put a old w motor in the old flat

superdave013
06-21-2002, 06:17 PM
I used an electric water pump to cool my engine. It worked great. I sold it to someone on the board but I can't remember who.
That's a sweet looking 409. It would be kick ass in an old flat.
I think it's bitchin to see something different then the standared BBC. Remember back in the day the flats had the 409's and just about every other engine you could think of for power. I say go for it. You might have to fab a set of headers but it would be so neat to do it.

Costello
06-21-2002, 06:34 PM
There is a Hondo with a 409 running around these parts here that I have seen in the past. The scallop heads are so aestetically pleasing, and the nostalgia factor is high. I say go for it, someone has parts for that, try Glenwood for motor plates and such.

V-Drive Tom
06-21-2002, 06:43 PM
SWW, That block looks like it could be drilled and tapped to take a plate mount. If you like that engine, you should USE IT! (It'll be COOL) With help from the guys on this board it can be done, NO PROBLEM! Is the timing chain cover the same as std. big block? TOM..

WILDERTHANU54
06-21-2002, 06:45 PM
I JUST PUT IN A ELECTRIC WATER PUMP! IT'S INLINE,I FORCE FEED UP TO IT, THEN I USE A CHECK VALVE TO KEEP IT PRIMED. LOOKS LIKE A ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP. IT'S SAMLL, LOOKS REAL CLEAN, AND I'M A FREAK ABOUT THINGS LOOKING CLEAN!! JUST ONE MORE SWITCH TO FLIP!!
GEOFF

boatguy222
06-21-2002, 06:47 PM
I talked to Phil Bergeron a couple of weeks ago, he has a 61 or 62 Biesemeyer with a 409 in it, If anyone knows where to find hardware for a 409, it would be him. you can contact him at Bergeron Engineering 480-834-1531.

WILDERTHANU54
06-21-2002, 06:48 PM
ONE MORE THING. MAKE YOURSELF UP LITTLE PLATES TO GO OVER THE INLETS, THEN TAP THEM FOR AN FITTINGS, LOOKS REAL CLEAN, MAKES THE JOB SIMPLE!!
GEOFF

21rayson
06-21-2002, 08:18 PM
a good machinist could make adapter plates for small block water logs for the exhaust they look close to except for bolt patern just a thought.

SWW
06-21-2002, 08:51 PM
Since IM not trying to brake any records The 409 would be way cool
Boatguy 222 Iam going to call that # in the am
Vdrive tom. yes the block can be drilled so homemade plate off the front is no problem to mount the motor( not sure but I dont think that the the timing chain cover is the same as a later model chevy cira 64 THAT WOULD BE TO EASY) Water pump can be elec so thats done Now if I can find some old alum logs for ext then it would be styling

SWW
06-21-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by 21rayson:
a good machinist could make adapter plates for small block water logs for the exhaust they look close to except for bolt patern just a thought. YES they are very close to a small block thats a good ideal ( but small block logs are real hard to get also) but not as hard as 409s thanks thats a very good ideal.

Dans66Stevens
06-22-2002, 12:36 AM
That thing is cool. Those are a great motor. I don't think you will find a thing the same as a small block or BBC. They are pretty much all by themselves.

old rigger
06-22-2002, 12:19 PM
SWW,
Not that it would help you, but I saw 2 pairs of SBC maniflods at the Long Beach swap, 2 weeks ago. Within the last year I also saw a pair of glenwood 348/409s. The swap is being held again tomorrow and if I happen to see another set, I'll get the guys # and pass it on to you.
In fact up until about 10 years ago, Glenwood still had them in their catalog. Don't have the catalog anymore, so I can't check it out for you, but they might even still carry them, or have the sand castings to make a set. It might be worth a call. Their # is 323 757 3141.
I do know that Moon still offers finned alum valve covers for that motor. 562 944 6311
When I was about 17, a buddy of my dads had a 409 that was marine equipted. (he owned Genes Chrome in Paramount, for any of you older guys) It had the dual quad set up like yours. I believe it was called a Z11. He wanted 500 bucks for the whole deal, I didn't have the extra scratch at the time and had to pass on it. That was 29 years ago. Have regreted it ever since.
If you have the original water pump, the're not only sought after by the chevy guys but the flathead V8 ford guys too. Someone makes an adapter to use one of them on the old water boiler.
There's a guy in AZ whose name is Mark. His biz card just reads 'boat boy'. This guy seems to be able to find anything for boats. His # is 928 715 8787. The card says to call after 7 pm.
good luck

coolchange
06-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Just a thought. You could probably sell that motor and finance the whole restoration of your boat. The exhaust looks real close to Pontiac. But I dig those old motors too!

Stab-n-Steer
06-23-2002, 08:50 AM
SWW,
I might be able to help you out... With 058's help I just picked up a 348 that came out of a v-drive. It has everything you would need, Edlebrock aluminum exhaust manifolds and the nuckles, aluminum front motor plate, timing cover with water pump that drives off the cam, aluminum water pump block offs... It will all fit on that 409. It's all in decent shape, just need to polish it up...
I have a 348 in my old '58 Biesemeyer and picked this one up to have as a spare but I would rather see someone use this stuff rather than have it sitting in my garage...
Send me an e-mail and we can discuss it...
S&S

V-Drive Tom
06-23-2002, 09:21 AM
SWW, You've got it made now DUDE! GO FOR THAT STUFF!! TOM..

pgf127rt
06-23-2002, 11:20 AM
SWW, that is what is neat about the forums, ask and ye shall receive, I have been following this thread because I grew up playing with the 348's and 409's, great old engines and man do they have character, good luck.

SWW
06-23-2002, 06:58 PM
WOW I thought I had a good day today went to my first boat drag race met some really great people at the sunbury drags in PA then I get home and read this and now IM really blown away S&S YOU GOT MAIL. This is truly the one of the best forums on the whole internet you guys are all http://www.plauder-smilies.com/happy/xyxthumbs.gif
Thanks Walt

Stab-n-Steer
06-24-2002, 08:32 AM
SWW,
Yeah, this forum is pretty cool. That's how I met 058 and he told me about the motor. I got your e-mail and will try to take digital pictures (have to borrow my friends camera) of the parts and e-mail them to you... I also have some brand new Offenhauser finned aluminum valve covers for a 348/409 if you are interested...
S&S

old rigger
06-24-2002, 08:43 AM
stabber,
not to change the topic, but did you ever get your movies returned from who ever had 'em last?
I did copy the patterson tape for myself and if you need it to replace yours, just let me know.

Stab-n-Steer
06-24-2002, 09:44 AM
Old Rig,
V-kid in Canada is where the trail stopped. The Patterson Tape I have, it was the 3 Classic v-drive club videos that didn't make it back. I sent both him and his son a few e-mails but no reply. 058 gave me his snail mail addres but I haven't taken the time yet to write to him... I hope he's ok. He was very enthusiastic and active on the forum for awhile and then just disappeared...
S&S

Dans66Stevens
06-24-2002, 04:49 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/DSC00126.JPG

rrrr
07-25-2002, 05:58 AM
Check out these logs on ebay. Can't tell if they are the right ones, but looks like they might go cheap.
Nicson logs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845676842&rd=1)
edit: after looking more closely I guess they are for a nailhead.
[ July 25, 2002, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

old rigger
07-25-2002, 06:36 AM
Naw, the center bolt holes don't match up to your W motor. The center port looks to be simesed too. Heck of a deal though.

Stab-n-Steer
07-25-2002, 07:18 AM
rrrr,
They're either for a nailhead or a Pontiac engine.
The exhaust ports are in a straight line. If you notice on your 348 the center ports are lower than the outer ports...
S&S

63stevens
07-25-2002, 09:47 AM
I have a friend with a poty and a 409. They have been the owners of the boat since the late 60's.

Stab-n-Steer
07-25-2002, 07:32 PM
What is a "poty"???
S&S