PDA

View Full Version : Rhino destinations!

Froggystyle
09-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Audrey and I are going to be taking some time off here this winter around Thanksgiving. With both of our businesses taking up so much of our time, we are going to try to get away locally for a week or so, but still be close enough to put out fires if need be. Neither of us can drop off the planet in other words.
We have been thinking about a Rhino-tour of the southwest. We will be taking the toterhome, but don't want to stay in any campgrounds. Basically, the plan is to drive East until we hit some cool mountains with a destination tucked into them. We are looking for downed planes, ghost towns, mines, you name it. We want to stay in the toter every other night or so to re-fuel, get more food and such and then camp the other nights out in the boonies.
I know about a lot of the stuff in Johnson Valley, and will probably be doing Suprise Canyon (Panamint Valley) to see that old ghost town at the top. I haven't been up there since the 1967 Scout days, but as I recall there was bypass loops for Suprise. I know that there are some really good loops out there though, and we want to see how far the Rhino will take us on them.
Does anyone know the Lat/Long of any cools sights out there in the desert? We are talking about hitting up the Yuma area where I heard about some B-17's up in the Kofa mountains, and heading North through the Cibola range, into Johnson Valley, maybe over into San Bernadino and get on the old Scout's West Adopt-A-Trail.
Any ideas would be cool. We want to stay away from Glamis or the dunes altogether and do more hardpack desert exploring than anything. Maybe some hiking and stuff too.
Anyone have any favorite destinations or day trips?

Froggystyle
09-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Well since this thread is taking off like a wet bottlerocket I figured I would start it out with some stuff I just found on Suprise Canyon (Panamint Valley)
Check out this really cool website
www.ghosttownexplorers.org

nodigg
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Not exactly Yuma, but I want to go the the west end of the Grand Canyon someday. Dirt road for about I think 30 miles abut 60 miles north of Kingman.
(figure bad input is better than none)

wsuwrhr
09-27-2006, 06:24 PM
There are some cool local trails in and out of Riverside, but I doubt that is what you are looking for.
Sorry bud.
Brian

nodigg
09-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Very cool link!

THOR
09-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Wes,
the top of Anza Borrego/Ocotillo Wells is a place called Fon's Point. It is accessable via licensed vehicles only and is awesome.
Johnson Valley is a good place.
Randsberg is cool.
Death Valley/Furnace Creek has some interesting places to see.

riverroyal
09-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Wes,
the top of Anza Borrego/Ocotillo Wells is a place called Fon's Point. It is accessable via licensed vehicles only and is awesome.
Randsberg is cool.
amazing place,Ive was shocked looking over the ledge there

DesertDog
09-27-2006, 07:17 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/DesertDog63/d629.jpg The Yuma area has a lot of different terrain around it.We stayed at a little rv park out in the middle of the desert thats about 20 miles northwest of Yuma.It's nothing fancy but it has full hook-ups and is a central location to different riding spots.It's about 4 miles to the dunes,lots of mines about 5 miles away,and what I liked best was that you could ride right up to the Colorado River which was about a 20 mile trip through some nice sand washes and canyons.
Also,once you get to the river,they have some really nice cabanas built with picnic tables and there is enclosed pit toilets,which is nice if you're overnighting it.When we were there,we met a couple of cool guys from the Marines search and rescue that were setting up a little tent.Here's the website to the RV park and I'll try to post a pic but I usually don't have much luck with that.[URL=www.maranatha-page.com/goldrock2/index.html]

Lightning
09-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Fon't point is cool as well as the trails in the surrounding area. There are some fun loops you can do just north of Tamarisk Grove in Borrego - north of the intersection of 78 and Yaqui Pass Road...
HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=borrego+springs,+ca&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=12&ll=33.144451,-116.417656&spn=0.125046,0.343323)
You can also check out the old The Great Southern Overland Route of 1849...HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=borrego+springs,+ca&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=12&ll=33.036586,-116.424866&spn=0.125199,0.343323&iwloc=A)
Another idea would be to take the dirt roads from Martinez Lake north up to the Miner's Cabin..but that may be a little farther then you want to go...unless you want to do Thanksgiving at Martinez Lake and participate in the golf cart parade that they have every year. It's a pretty fun little ride....

DesertDog
09-27-2006, 07:38 PM
This is a good trip for the Havasu area.Boriana Mine Road is a trail that takes you from the desert of Yucca,up to Boriana Mine and continues to the Hualapai Mountains.We,ve done the up and back day trips.Leave in the morning,have lunch at the lodge,and return in the afternoon.About a 75 mile round trip.There is also a small hotel at the lodge or a small campground along the trail(Wild Cow Springs Campground).You could also cut across the desert from Havasu and get there.This pic is about 8 miles up the trail above the mine,looking back towards Havasu. http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/DesertDog63/view.jpg

socalmoney
09-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Too bad we can't post Google Earth KMZ files. I posted a request in the "Site Suggestions" about implementing this. Some more support would be great.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128356
It would be nice if you went on a cool ride to note the Lat/Long and then plot it on Google Earth for everyone else to see.

Mandelon
09-27-2006, 08:55 PM
North out of Winterhaven has a ton of roads and you can get up to Picacho on the roads on the CA side. Its actually an old gold mining town had 2500 people around the turn of the century....paddlewheel steam boats used to ply that section of the river until they built the dam.
Truckhaven area near salton sea just east of anza borrego has some cool spots as well, and close to SD. Also the area known as slab city is kind of interesting, not sure about the legality of the Rhino out there though. Should be OK.

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 07:46 AM
If you know where it is on Google Earth, you can write down the lat/long. Those long numbers on the bottom that haul ass when you move the cursor are the lat/long.
These are GREAT ideas. I have been out to Truckhaven before for the Easter Jeep Safari. I didn't see any "destinations" out there though. I really like the idea of mines and ghost towns and stuff. The thing I am really trying to find is downed planes and stuff.
I have been to "Slab City". We do all of our "mountain" training out in Niland and are forced to drive past the denizens of Slab City regularly. What a pit. I have often wondered what could have gone so wrong to cause that as the answer... but whatever.
Keep them coming!

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/DesertDog63/d629.jpg The Yuma area has a lot of different terrain around it.We stayed at a little rv park out in the middle of the desert thats about 20 miles northwest of Yuma.It's nothing fancy but it has full hook-ups and is a central location to different riding spots.It's about 4 miles to the dunes,lots of mines about 5 miles away,and what I liked best was that you could ride right up to the Colorado River which was about a 20 mile trip through some nice sand washes and canyons.
Also,once you get to the river,they have some really nice cabanas built with picnic tables and there is enclosed pit toilets,which is nice if you're overnighting it.When we were there,we met a couple of cool guys from the Marines search and rescue that were setting up a little tent.Here's the website to the RV park and I'll try to post a pic but I usually don't have much luck with that.[URL=www.maranatha-page.com/goldrock2/index.html]
I think that place is on the left as we go upriver from the Sandbar at Martinez. I have always wondered what it was...
Does anyone know of some stuff to look at out there or have any Lats/Longs?

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Wes,
Randsberg is cool.
Is "Fon's Point" at the end of the Thimble Trail?
Google earth is awesome, but it doesn't show or describe any of the things we are talking about in any detail.

Sportin' Wood
09-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Let me know when you plan on hitting Surprise Canyon. I assume you are going to hike it?? I have been wanting to get back out there for 10 years.
I know a group that bought some claims up there and have been fighting to get the trail reopened, but no luck yet.

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Let me know when you plan on hitting Surprise Canyon. I assume you are going to hike it?? I have been wanting to get back out there for 10 years.
I know a group that bought some claims up there and have been fighting to get the trail reopened, but no luck yet.
Hike it? F that. I was talking about wheeling it with the Rhino. I am actually looking at a winch setup for it right now.
I didn't know it was closed though.
I will hike it if neccessary though... I too want to get back there.

Mrs. casean
09-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Is this (http://www.endangeredearth.org/slideshows/SURPRISE/index.htm) what you're refering to as Suprise Canyon? If so it looks beautiful! I wanna go too! :D These Rhino rides sound fun! So many other places to go than the usual Ocotillo & Glamis!

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Is this (http://www.endangeredearth.org/slideshows/SURPRISE/index.htm) what you're refering to as Suprise Canyon? If so it looks beautiful! I wanna go too! :D These Rhino rides sound fun! So many other places to go than the usual Ocotillo & Glamis!
Yeah, that is a tree-huggers version of the canyon, but that is it.
Pretty much the coolest wheeling I have ever done. You have to winch up seven waterfalls. The first Scout to go winches off of a rock (or in our case, there are some cool holes in the rocks that you put a used axle into and winch away) and gets up a fall. Then the next one winches off that Scout and so on...
Wagons used to actually make it up the canyon before it got all eroded. The year I went I understand it was the hardest it had ever been. We broke pretty much everything to do with the steering on that trip.

THOR
09-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Is "Fon's Point" at the end of the Thimble Trail?
Google earth is awesome, but it doesn't show or describe any of the things we are talking about in any detail.
Not exactly. Get a park map from the ranger station and take Palo Verde wash all the way up and through the "Badlands".
You can also see the pumpkin patch on your way up or back.

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Suprise Canyon appears to still be closed right now. The Lat/Long on Google Earth is 37 25' 19.1" N 122 05' 06" W
What a trail...

stoker
09-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Johnson Valley/Landers is a good place to explore. You can even get a camp site at Pioneer Town (old western town) and take the rhino many places from their. I will be heading back in a couple of weeks with the kids. We are going to do some geocaching and explore some old mines. You can even head up the wash from Pioneer Town to Big Bear.

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Johnson Valley/Landers is a good place to explore. You can even get a camp site at Pioneer Town (old western town) and take the rhino many places from their. I will be heading back in a couple of weeks with the kids. We are going to do some geocaching and explore some old mines. You can even head up the wash from Pioneer Town to Big Bear.
No kidding.... I didn't know you could get that far up the road from there...
We have done Outerlimits and Sledgehammer. Nothing else up in there. Thing is, the wheeling was always the destination for us. This time, I want to SEE some shit. Like, have a destination, not just a challenging path.
Suprise is awesome, because there is an inaccessible ghost town up on top of it with ruins of kilns, mills, houses and crap. The brickwork on the mill is amazing, and that will really give us some stuff to take pictures of and hang on the walls for a while. That is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

stoker
09-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Check this site out http://www.blackrhinoperformance.net/Forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=95fd634c9f6a3e17105077ecfff532bd

RiverDave
09-28-2006, 09:08 AM
I don't want to be the guy that touts "Parker" on every post.. But as far as terrain, and "sights" it's pretty hard to beat that place. Take a flash light, and explore the hills, and you'll be down in 1/4 mile deep mine shafts in no time flat. There's a down A 4 phantom up by P mountain (I think that's where it is) there's several ghost towns out in the dessert, and the further ya go the more shit ya find. I plan on spending quite a bit of time out in the desert with my chica this winter. :)
RD

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't want to be the guy that touts "Parker" on every post.. But as far as terrain, and "sights" it's pretty hard to beat that place. Take a flash light, and explore the hills, and you'll be down in 1/4 mile deep mine shafts in no time flat. There's a down A 4 phantom up by P mountain (I think that's where it is) there's several ghost towns out in the dessert, and the further ya go the more shit ya find. I plan on spending quite a bit of time out in the desert with my chica this winter. :)
RD
Can you see the A4 on Google Earth? That is the kind of shit I am talking about!
There is two B-17's outside of Yuma, but nobody knows exactly where...

Mrs. casean
09-28-2006, 09:29 AM
RD
We want to make a few trips out there this winter w/ the Rhino... you wanna be the tour guide :D

Sportin' Wood
09-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Sorry to the bad news bus, but Surprise has been closed for a long time.. I'm thinking 10 years or so. Most of the stuff you remember out there is closed.
There are some cool trails out there that are open but only one that I know of that is extream. Most are just rocky sightseeing trips. None the less the surprise canyon trip would still be cool if your down for a hike. Angie & I have been talking about hiking the trail for the last couple years and have never gotten around to it. The cabins are still up there and lodging in the finest unrestored miners cabins is still free. :rollside:
Truckhaven would be pretty fun in a rhino, I would love to see you trash it up a JV trail, and I might have to mouch a tour of Parker as well this winter. Sold the Mohave trailer and we need a new river palace.

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Sorry to the bad news bus, but Surprise has been closed for a long time.. I'm thinking 10 years or so. Most of the stuff you remember out there is closed.
There are some cool trails out there that are open but only one that I know of that is extream. Most are just rocky sightseeing trips. None the less the surprise canyon trip would still be cool if your down for a hike. Angie & I have been talking about hiking the trail for the last couple years and have never gotten around to it. The cabins are still up there and lodging in the finest unrestored miners cabins is still free. :rollside:
Truckhaven would be pretty fun in a rhino, I would love to see you trash it up a JV trail, and I might have to mouch a tour of Parker as well this winter. Sold the Mohave trailer and we need a new river palace.
It says that the trail was closed in 2000 but it is looking promising to open back up again. That was a great trail, with really, really formidable technical challenges to get up it. The likes of which I have never seen before or since.
Playing around on Google Earth is a blast. YOu can't see any of the structures on there though... :(
Still no word on downed planes eh?

OGShocker
09-28-2006, 12:21 PM
We've been thinking of heading up to Calico.
http://www.calicotown.com/ohv/images/topomap.jpg

djunkie
09-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Wait for me!!!!!!!!! :rollside: :rollside:

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Where is Calico? Death Valley area?

OGShocker
09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Wait for me!!!!!!!!! :rollside: :rollside:
Will do! We'll try and stay on the "BUNNY SLOPES" for ya...:D:D:D

OGShocker
09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Where is Calico? Death Valley area?
Google it...LMAO...
Off the 15 North of Barstow.

djunkie
09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Will do! We'll try and stay on the "BUNNY SLOPES" for ya...:D:D:D
Hey when you get a chance PM me your number since I lost it. I need to talk to you about your Rhino buying experience. :rollside:

djunkie
09-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Google it...LMAO...
Ahhhhhh Barstow. Lovely town. If you ever get the chance I highly recomend spending 7 days in the ICU of their awesome hospital. :yuk: :yuk:

OGShocker
09-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey when you get a chance PM me your number since I lost it. I need to talk to you about your Rhino buying experience. :rollside:
Please stop following me, it's creepin' me out..:D

djunkie
09-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Please stop following me, it's creepin' me out..:D
STALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Google it...LMAO...
OK... That isn't that far from Death Valley though...
Sounds/looks cool.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Speary Creek at Dumont Dunes.
Beautiful, Death Valley back country.
3 different trails

Froggystyle
09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Speary Creek at Dumont Dunes.
Beautiful, Death Valley back country.
3 different trails
This sounds like a Haiku...
Any good sights, other than landscapes?

hoolign
09-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Well... I'm at LAT 54.024010 LONG 117.049008 don't come here..it's a shithole!:D

Trailer Park Casanova
09-28-2006, 07:35 PM
This sounds like a Haiku...
Any good sights, other than landscapes?
I lost most my pix of it, but theirs several railroad grades and beds built in the 1800's to follow (the trestles are long gone so beware!!), and you can take the trails that cross the creek, or drive up the creek itself.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/tpc123/alistrafficpix045.jpg
Also the Gold Mines run is fun.
All grades & terain a Rhino can handle with stock tires.
http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/uploads/post-238-1153284858.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812DumontMap.jpg
Upper corner of C3 shows the river and its path, cuts through the center of B3, and the interesting surrounding areas. Blue line is entrance road.
A fun adventure.
Most the squares on the map are explorable area, perfect for a Rhino Safari.
The little Dunes and Goldmines and devils anvil aren't shown, but would be lower left on the map & fun too.
E 1 is the uppermost tip of the Devils anvil, follow that south slightly west, and it takes you to the goldmines and little dunes.
Used to be able to go to the Charles Manson house, but Hallet Dave corrected me on that, and it may no longer be accessable.

socalmoney
09-29-2006, 05:49 AM
Well... I'm at 54.024010 117.049008 don't come here..it's a shithole!:D
That river you live by looks pretty cool. Lots of crazy turns. Where do you get boat parts in Russia?

OGShocker
09-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Well... I'm at 54.024010 117.049008 don't come here..it's a shithole!:D
That is some funny shit, my Russian friend!:D:D:D
Мы строим трубопровод прямо через ту часть соседства окрестностей дерьма.. :D

hoolign
09-29-2006, 06:34 AM
That river you live by looks pretty cool. Lots of crazy turns. Where do you get boat parts in Russia?
Boatski Fixski :rollside:

Froggystyle
09-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Man, after spending some time looking at these spots, there is going to be some tough decisions where to go. Looks like the Death Valley area is going to be the coolest whole area, and we can get out there and wilderness camp pretty easily.
I have never been up into Furnace Creek or Dumont either, so I am curious as hell about that stuff.
I am suprised nobody has come up with some downed planes, tanks, ghost towns or whatnot.... They seem to be out there, I just want to know where.

Flyinbowtie
09-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Man, after spending some time looking at these spots, there is going to be some tough decisions where to go. Looks like the Death Valley area is going to be the coolest whole area, and we can get out there and wilderness camp pretty easily.
I have never been up into Furnace Creek or Dumont either, so I am curious as hell about that stuff.
I am suprised nobody has come up with some downed planes, tanks, ghost towns or whatnot.... They seem to be out there, I just want to know where.
Froggy, not to offend anybody on here, but the folks who do know where the ghost towns, mines, etc. are up in this neck-o-the woods are sorty touchy about who they let loose the info to. I don't know if SoCal is the same way, but I'd bet when it comes to the good spots, it is.
There are lots and lots of places like you are speaking of in northeastern Ca, many of which are only accessible in the summer due to snow, etc.
There are also many, many places in Nevada, within a few hours of Reno, that are really neat. In thinking about my glass buggy vs. Rhino thread, seeing some of this stuff would really be best suited to a Rhino, although I have done some of the Ca. stuff in a 80's Bronco. T'was tough on the light bar, tho... :)
Some of the trails out of Belmont, Nevada, which is in the center of the state, are awesome.
Up at Tuscarora and Midas, in the north of Nevada, you will find folks still living in old mining towns. Out beyond Gerlach, about 2-1/2 hours from Reno, are some trails you can see heards of Antelope and wild horses roaming the hills.
On the way out past Pyramid Lake, norhteast of the Piute Res. is a road that goes to the ghost town of Limbo. Yes, Limbo. Awesome country up there, you can see much of the Black Rock Desert from the tops of the Mtns.