dickhouser
09-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Does anyone know anything about Evinrude V8 300hp outboard engines? :220v:

STV_Keith
09-28-2006, 06:58 AM
What would you like to know?

riverbound
09-28-2006, 07:45 AM
I dont know much about them. but Al stoker knows a thing or two about them.
johns Custom marine
714-827-7920
great I just said the words Stoker and Al. Now Td and UT are gonna be all over this thread like fags on dropped soap :rolleyes:

Kim Hanson
09-28-2006, 06:19 PM
I know how to blow them up..........( . )( . ).......3rd engine dead right now...... :cry:

Tom Brown
09-28-2006, 09:38 PM
I know something about OMC V8 engines. :)
I know that a V8 engine cowl can house a Korean family 20 strong. :cool:

sorry dog
09-30-2006, 07:54 AM
I know something about OMC V8 engines. :)
I know that a V8 engine cowl can house a Korean family 20 strong. :cool:
That's a feature...it doubles as a life boat in an emergency.

WyldWsl
10-01-2006, 08:46 AM
All jokes aside about the circus tent sized cowling... I had my buddy post the initial thread cause I didn't have an account yet. I'm looking at buying a 1985 Eliminator Pickle Fork with a Evinrude 300 V8 hanging from the transom. I haven't been able to find anything online about them other than technical manuals... no reviews, and no feedback from people who have them. I know the hull is popular, but I can't find any pics of any other Eliminator pickle forks with the same motor on them, is this a rare boat or no? I guess I just want to know if the boat is worth buying with it's current setup. Cause if the motor is not worth the trouble than I'll find something else to buy. I already know the hull is what I want, I just want input about the motor. Any input from you guy's about it would be a great help, cause I'm totally lost.... :)

wsuwrhr
10-01-2006, 01:14 PM
'Rudes are two strokes right?
Brian

WyldWsl
10-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I'm 99.9% sure it's a 2 stroke...but that's all the info about it that I've been able to find. I want to know If the motor is worth dealing with, I mean I don't see anyone else running them, and even worse I can't find any pics of people owning them either. :220v:

STV_Keith
10-01-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm running two on my Scarab. Both have blown gearcases currently - the big weak link with the V8's. Yes, they are 2-strokes. Not many people run the V8's any more, so the parts are harder to find.

riverbound
10-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I'm 99.9% sure it's a 2 stroke...but that's all the info about it that I've been able to find. I want to know If the motor is worth dealing with, I mean I don't see anyone else running them, and even worse I can't find any pics of people owning them either. :220v:
I have one with almost 300 trouble free hours.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18287&stc=1

Towndrunk
10-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I dont know much about them. but Al stoker knows a thing or two about them.
johns Custom marine
714-827-7920
great I just said the words Stoker and Al. Now Td and UT are gonna be all over this thread like fags on dropped soap :rolleyes:
I got your dropped soap huckleberry! :p Contrary sp? to what I post on here I don't hate Stokers. Some are even pleasing to the eyes. Well the girls are. I just prefer the pickle fork tunnel . Now if only someone will give me a 19' pickle fork to go with the 2.5 merc I have hanging in the garage! Hmmmmm, wonder what the odds are?? I better check to see if I won the powerball last night because if I did I'm ordering a 21 ft Eliminater with a huge ass car motor with an arneson drive. I'll let you know how this turns out. Hugs-n-kisses. :D

Kim Hanson
10-01-2006, 05:26 PM
All jokes aside about the circus tent sized cowling... I had my buddy post the initial thread cause I didn't have an account yet. I'm looking at buying a 1985 Eliminator Pickle Fork with a Evinrude 300 V8 hanging from the transom. I haven't been able to find anything online about them other than technical manuals... no reviews, and no feedback from people who have them. I know the hull is popular, but I can't find any pics of any other Eliminator pickle forks with the same motor on them, is this a rare boat or no? I guess I just want to know if the boat is worth buying with it's current setup. Cause if the motor is not worth the trouble than I'll find something else to buy. I already know the hull is what I want, I just want input about the motor. Any input from you guy's about it would be a great help, cause I'm totally lost.... :)
I have a 275 Rude and it was pushing 340HP @ the prop, bad news they break easy when you fock with them. I would say if it was stock and you do the normal maintenance on it it should be okay :cool: Have ya got a picture of that boat though ?....This is my engine.......( . )( . ).......... :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/7272HPIM0460.jpg
boat it sits on :crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72img_2361.jpg

Kim Hanson
10-01-2006, 05:30 PM
I have one with almost 300 trouble free hours.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18287&stc=1
You drive slow though........( . )( . ).......... :D :D

WyldWsl
10-01-2006, 06:28 PM
The hull needs some buffing and the entire boat needs some TLC, but it's in good shape for the most part. I'm going to use it's dirt to drive down the current owner's extremely high and unreasonable price tag of $15,000 down significantly. What do you guy's think I should offer this guy with the boat/motor combo in it's current condition?? :confused:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/ellsworthpride/1985Eliminatormotor.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/ellsworthpride/1985Eliminator.jpg

full throttle
10-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Buy it! I had a big Eliminator Daytona w/3 Johnson GT-300's 5-6 years ago, and currently have a 30' v-hull with a pair of Rudes on it, and like them.

jimslade
10-02-2006, 04:21 AM
Had one, had it bluprinted to 375 HP. seized motor, replaced block with 4.0 litre, blew spark plug hole out. blew up second, seized. Ran great when it did. replaced by a lame 225 johnston under waranty after five years of trouble. Sold boat. I would stay away from it, there are much better engines out there. Sucks gas huge for the power.

WyldWsl
10-02-2006, 06:19 AM
I figured that it was a gas hog, but what puts out 300hp that isn't? Unless it's a nuclear aircraft carrier, then I plan on being able to pass everything but a gas dock anyway. I'm just worried about the price, $15,000 for this boat with an outboard that needs some work done to it when I can get an immaculate jet boat with the same hull and a big block blower motor for $18,000. If money weren't a problem then I'd buy both, but that isn't happening. If I bought it, I'd probably sell the V8 and replace it with a lighter and more popular 2.5 merc. I think this guy wants too much for it, but I don't know what a boat like that would be worth with an outboard.....this is where you guys give me some ideas about offering him how much $$. I know I can find jet boats all day long (not Eliminator pickle forks) that run good, but need cosmetic work for around $5-$7,000, which is right in my price range.

riverbound
10-02-2006, 06:37 AM
If the motor is stock and you leave it that way, you will be very happy with it. once you start messing with it, is when you will start havingproblems and parts are more dificult to find for them now.
Mine has a set of the second effort heads, and that is it.

WyldWsl
10-02-2006, 07:53 AM
That would be a problem, the guy told me that he had it sent out to a guy in Texas that went nuts on it. According to it's current owner; "It has over 400hp will do 120mph with ease.".....I have no idea about the truth of that statement for the record. It does need a new output shaft cause he hit something with the stainless prop, an easy fix according to him. (is it?) But I really don't want to pay that much for a boat that is already broken and I'll immediately have to go on a scavenger hunt to find parts...not my idea of a wise investment. I'd rather spend it on the jet boat I mentioned above, at least I will know something about the car motor in it and jet drive's are one of the most simple things on earth.

Tom Brown
10-02-2006, 08:06 AM
That would be a problem, the guy told me that he had it sent out to a guy in Texas that went nuts on it. According to it's current owner; "It has over 400hp will do 120mph with ease.".....I have no idea about the truth of that statement for the record.
120 with ease? I'd bet Knuckle head $500 that's total bullshit.
Gee... too bad it's not running so you could confirm his claims. Have you looked at his receipts and dyno sheets?
I will say, however, those guys in Texas do good work. I sent my Chrysler 140 there. The guy modified it to put out 350 hp at the prop and my boat will do 140 mph with little problem. The engine was dynoed but I lost the dyno sheet... I didn't think it was important. I also didn't save the bill and I don't remember the guy's name so I can't help anyone get in contact. This really is a great engine. I want $9000 for it. You should dump that OMC V8 and put this Chrysler on. It will easily double your performance.
.I have no idea about the truth of that statement for the record. It does need a new output shaft cause he hit something with the stainless prop, an easy fix according to him. (is it?)
You should get him to fix it, since it's easy. :)
But I really don't want to pay that much for a boat that is already broken and I'll immediately have to go on a scavenger hunt to find parts...not my idea of a wise investment.
The prop shaft might not be too hard to find. That looks like a V6 gear case to me but I'm the furthest thing from an OMC expert.
I'd rather spend it on the jet boat I mentioned above, at least I will know something about the car motor in it and jet drive's are one of the most simple things on earth.
That jetboat is as complex as a menstruating woman, compared to an outboard. Nothing is as simple as an outboard.
By the way, I think a Merc 3.0 would be a better choice for that hull than a Merc 2.5. .... just an opinion.

HavasuDreamin'
10-02-2006, 09:48 AM
The 21' Daytona with V-8 power was a popular set up in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. They are good boats and a lot of fun. You have had some good advice though. I have been told by several people that there are a few main problems with them....they suck fuel like no other, their gearcases are week and blow easily, they won't turn many rpm's, and parts are harder to come by.
I think if you leave it stock, have the bearing carrier pinned, make use of the torque and don't try to spin it more RPM's than it is capable of, you will be alright.
Having said all that, it is my opinion that those boats are worth about $12K in perfect shape. Face it, the V-8's don't have a great reputation and you WILL end up putting money into it. That makes them less desireable and harder to sell.
If that boat has some driveline issues, I would offer him $8K - $9K and come up to $10K max.
Good Luck.

WyldWsl
10-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys (and gals if applicable), I'm going to try to keep this guy around $7-8k if I can. Otherwise I'll find something else. I'd just be a little less skeptical if I heard some better things about V-8's. I think I'll get the boat if he doesn't want my first born and my right arm for it, get a prop shaft for it as cheaply as I can, change the gearcase fluid, clean the entire boat up, and then be easy on it until it blows up...then it's new outboard time. I'd end up losing some $$ in the long run, but I want this sweet hull..and with it being cleaned up with new carpet and a new Merc 3.0 on it it should be worth some good $$ then. :idea:

Stoker22
10-02-2006, 11:52 AM
If it bent the prop shaft you can bet it will also need a set of gears. What year is the engine the 88 on 4.0 were much better than the 85-87 3.6 versions. If it truely makes 400 hp it has had a lot of work and most likely would not run pump gas, it is possible to make that power but they are not an every day use engine at that point.

WyldWsl
10-02-2006, 12:41 PM
If it bent the prop shaft you can bet it will also need a set of gears. What year is the engine the 88 on 4.0 were much better than the 85-87 3.6 versions. If it truely makes 400 hp it has had a lot of work and most likely would not run pump gas, it is possible to make that power but they are not an every day use engine at that point.
It's an 1985 3.6Litre. Not really worried about the boat or the motor anymore, I just called the guy and he's firm on his $15,000 price tag......hence, I'll find something else, better and cheaper at the same time........I know for sure that the next one I'm interested will NOT have an Evinrude V8 on the jackplate. Thanks to everyone for their .02 cents!! The search continues, :) :) i'll be looking around :) :) I'd rather have something that looks fast, sounds fast and is reliable, than something that looks fast, sounds fast, and has me working on it more than enjoying it... :220v:

Tom Brown
10-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Does this mean you're not interested in my hopped up Chrysler?

Kim Hanson
10-02-2006, 05:21 PM
The hull needs some buffing and the entire boat needs some TLC, but it's in good shape for the most part. I'm going to use it's dirt to drive down the current owner's extremely high and unreasonable price tag of $15,000 down significantly. What do you guy's think I should offer this guy with the boat/motor combo in it's current condition?? :confused:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/ellsworthpride/1985Eliminatormotor.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/ellsworthpride/1985Eliminator.jpg
Thats wierd, I call mine " WildThing "..........( . )( . ).....looks like a very cool boat... :cool:

Kim Hanson
10-02-2006, 05:35 PM
I figured that it was a gas hog, but what puts out 300hp that isn't? Unless it's a nuclear aircraft carrier, then I plan on being able to pass everything but a gas dock anyway. I'm just worried about the price, $15,000 for this boat with an outboard that needs some work done to it when I can get an immaculate jet boat with the same hull and a big block blower motor for $18,000. If money weren't a problem then I'd buy both, but that isn't happening. If I bought it, I'd probably sell the V8 and replace it with a lighter and more popular 2.5 merc. I think this guy wants too much for it, but I don't know what a boat like that would be worth with an outboard.....this is where you guys give me some ideas about offering him how much $$. I know I can find jet boats all day long (not Eliminator pickle forks) that run good, but need cosmetic work for around $5-$7,000, which is right in my price range.
I don't ever look at buying boats and consider the price of the gas, if it's got the look that make my dick twitch...next question is how much! I got my Rude ..pushing 300hp...and it is a tunnel for $14,500...turn key and let her rip...!
That hull ( looks the same as a Liberator ) I love and with a 300 Rude, very sweet! What is wrong with the engine? JetBoats suck also! Don't go to the slow side :cry: ..........( . )( . ).........

Kim Hanson
10-02-2006, 05:39 PM
That would be a problem, the guy told me that he had it sent out to a guy in Texas that went nuts on it. According to it's current owner; "It has over 400hp will do 120mph with ease.".....I have no idea about the truth of that statement for the record. It does need a new output shaft cause he hit something with the stainless prop, an easy fix according to him. (is it?) But I really don't want to pay that much for a boat that is already broken and I'll immediately have to go on a scavenger hunt to find parts...not my idea of a wise investment. I'd rather spend it on the jet boat I mentioned above, at least I will know something about the car motor in it and jet drive's are one of the most simple things on earth.
Thats an easy fix, I had a racing gearcase put in with dual feed high speed racing case for like 600 bucks........( . )( . ).......I blew the stock one out with 340 hp............ :p I blow things up good!

Kim Hanson
10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all of the info guys (and gals if applicable), I'm going to try to keep this guy around $7-8k if I can. Otherwise I'll find something else. I'd just be a little less skeptical if I heard some better things about V-8's. I think I'll get the boat if he doesn't want my first born and my right arm for it, get a prop shaft for it as cheaply as I can, change the gearcase fluid, clean the entire boat up, and then be easy on it until it blows up...then it's new outboard time. I'd end up losing some $$ in the long run, but I want this sweet hull..and with it being cleaned up with new carpet and a new Merc 3.0 on it it should be worth some good $$ then. :idea:
I am not a girl :mad: The V8's are wild if you take care of them right, they cavate bad ..ease off and mash it once on plane and gone....I mean it, I will never get rid of mine....hell, I just found a stock 300 for under 5 grand that will fill my Rude Apartment....That has the off-shore exhaust like mine, sounds tit's to anyone that has heard one...going over 100mph is very sweet..........hulls like the HST sell for over 12 grand, that is a good price if you can get him down to that price you said!...........( . )( . )........ :cool:

Kim Hanson
10-02-2006, 05:53 PM
It's an 1985 3.6Litre. Not really worried about the boat or the motor anymore, I just called the guy and he's firm on his $15,000 price tag......hence, I'll find something else, better and cheaper at the same time........I know for sure that the next one I'm interested will NOT have an Evinrude V8 on the jackplate. Thanks to everyone for their .02 cents!! The search continues, :) :) i'll be looking around :) :) I'd rather have something that looks fast, sounds fast and is reliable, than something that looks fast, sounds fast, and has me working on it more than enjoying it... :220v:
:cry: :cry: ...........( . )( . )............

Avenger 1975
10-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey WyldWsl, I drive by that boat almost every day on Rt. 4, I never realized it was for sale. Always catches my eye, now I'll stop tomorrow and take a closer look. If I talk to the guy I'll use my most convincing voice and tell him its worth no more than 10 or 11 grand max.
I've never driven one but I've always thought the huge V8's looked great.

WyldWsl
10-03-2006, 04:23 AM
Hey WyldWsl, I drive by that boat almost every day on Rt. 4, I never realized it was for sale. Always catches my eye, now I'll stop tomorrow and take a closer look. If I talk to the guy I'll use my most convincing voice and tell him its worth no more than 10 or 11 grand max.
I've never driven one but I've always thought the huge V8's looked great.
Best of luck to you! It isn't technically for sale, he broke it and it's just sitting out by the road, but I thought I'd ask about it anyway.....cause in my world, everything is for sale for the right price. At first I talked to one of the guy's that worked inside. They said he's changed his mind about selling it a million and a half times. They last they knew, he was selling it for $15,000 and the motor needed an output shaft. I got the guy's # but I wanted to find out more about the motor first before I dropped a chunk of change like that. This was about a week ago. I just called him yesterday to try and talk him down if I could, but before I could he told me that he's waiting on parts and is probably going to keep it now....I see he changed his mind again....The search continues for a boat..... Didn't know many people in NH were into this kind of stuff, but I guess my broke college friends aren't the target market for a 100mph boat.... :rollside:

Avenger 1975
10-03-2006, 06:17 AM
I didn't mean I was going to buy it, I just thought I'd soften him up for you! Funny thing is that boat looks like a showpiece, at least from the road, I can't imagine leaving it uncovered like that all the time, makes me wonder what kind of care he takes of it. Maybe I'll talk him into a test ride once he gets it fixed (if he gets it fixed?), would be worth paying for a tank of gas.
I live in Concord. I'm not exactly a high powered hot boat guy, I'm running a jet boat that's in rough shape and have an old inboard Correct Craft, but I love to be on the water and skiing.

WyldWsl
10-03-2006, 11:42 AM
It looks like a real gem from the road, but it's defintiley anything but that once you get close to it. I used to refer to these cars/boats as "50's"...they look real good from 50 feet, going 50 mph. I guess the guy is going to fix it, but judging by the last time that it was registered was 2002, I'm seriously thinking he isn't in a hurry....not in a hurry to put a cover on it either, some people just don't take care of their things and then expect them to hold value. Oh well, it's his to rot away and depreciate..not mine. :crossx:

Tom Brown
10-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm seriously thinking he isn't in a hurry....not in a hurry to put a cover on it either, some people just don't take care of their things and then expect them to hold value.
Maybe he's still scared by one of those effortless 120 mph passes and doesn't have the guts to run it again.

WyldWsl
10-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Maybe he's still scared by one of those effortless 120 mph passes and doesn't have the guts to run it again.
Haha!...If that's the case, then he should sell it to someone who isn't....
:crossx: ME :crossx:

Towndrunk
10-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I'd bet money that boats never seen 120 on the water. Maybe behind a truck.

Tom Brown
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I'd bet money that boats never seen 120 on the water. Maybe behind a truck.
Oh come on, TD. I'll bet that thing could do around 100 mph with a 3L - 300X. The 300X is only 6 cylinders. The V8 has 33% more cylinders so it will be 33% faster again.... that puts it around 133 mph. :cool:
Don't hate because you've only got 6 cylinders. :yuk:

Rexone
10-03-2006, 06:03 PM
I am not a girl :mad:
lmao :D
Don't believe anything this chick tells you. She's a real piece a work.

Rexone
10-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Does this mean you're not interested in my hopped up Chrysler?
Tom stop badgering the poor guy. You know that Chrysler won't pull a log off a beaver dam downstream with a 10 mph current to boot.

Kim Hanson
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
lmao :D
Don't believe anything this chick tells you. She's a real piece a work.
There ya go, the next thing they will think is I have a stripper bar in Norway........( . )( . )............ :p

Tom Brown
10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm running two on my Scarab. Both have blown gearcases currently - the big weak link with the V8's. Yes, they are 2-strokes. Not many people run the V8's any more, so the parts are harder to find.
You probably knew this but in case you didn't... Wayne Taylor make an adapter to allow you to run Sportmasters on OMC engines. :)

Tom Brown
10-03-2006, 10:07 PM
You know that Chrysler won't pull a log off a beaver dam downstream with a 10 mph current to boot.
True enough but I'm in the process of upgrading this Chrysler to the full Landau edition. When it's done... the beavers will know I'm there. :cool:

Avenger 1975
10-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I stopped by for a closer look today. That's a very sharp looking boat, and from what I could see its in fairly good shape. The prop had one blade end rolled over a bit so something was hit. As I said before I don't know a thing about Evinrude V8's but that huge motor looks great hanging off the back.
I didn't talk to anybody so no new news on price or whether he will actually fix it. I would think that for as long as its been sitting in that same spot on the trailer he would be ready to let it go, but who knows.

STV_Keith
10-06-2006, 07:36 AM
You probably knew this but in case you didn't... Wayne Taylor make an adapter to allow you to run Sportmasters on OMC engines. :)
Thanks Tom, and yeah, I know. Just kinda hurts to think about that $2k per gearcase to buy sportmasters. OUCH. Then $200/side from Wayne for the adapters and I have to fab up my own shift shaft.

jimslade
10-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I'd bet money that boats never seen 120 on the water. Maybe behind a truck. I agree, I had a 21 ft. J-Craft tunnel with a second effort blueprinted 4.0 litre block with a 29 pitch,cupped prop and the best I could squezze out was 93 mph.

wsuwrhr
10-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks Tom, and yeah, I know. Just kinda hurts to think about that $2k per gearcase to buy sportmasters. OUCH. Then $200/side from Wayne for the adapters and I have to fab up my own shift shaft.
I may know someone who could do this for you.
Brian

You Te
10-08-2006, 12:34 PM
You have plenty of money.

You Te
10-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Do you have something against fags?

STV_Keith
10-08-2006, 01:34 PM
You have plenty of money.
Pimp'n ain't easy, and it's expensive. :crossx:

Tom Brown
10-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey Keith, here's an idea....... how about converting that Scarab to triples. :idea:

You Te
10-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Pimp'n ain't easy, and it's expensive. :crossx:
Fringe benefits come to mind for some reason.

Faceaz
10-08-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm joining this thread a bit late, but you made the right decision. We have a 1986 23'6" Eliminator Tunnel with a rude 8 & picked it up for $11.5k a while back. I did snap a drive shaft & when it was taken apart it needed new gears, bearings, etc. another $1,500 in short. Our's runs right @ the 70 mark, it is a lot bigger & heavier than the 21', but there's no way that boat runs 120.

STV_Keith
10-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Hey Keith, here's an idea....... how about converting that Scarab to triples. :idea:
I had thought about it, but I don't think it would float triples. There is a local guy with a 34 Super Sport that is stepping up from twin V8's to triples. :)

full throttle
10-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Whats the story on the 8's? sell?

Kim Hanson
10-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Whats the story on the 8's? sell?
No way, just be nice to her..I treat mine like a redheaded step child and she breaks...alot ! :cry: ..............( . )( . )..........I love my V8!

Towndrunk
10-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Yes those slowmc's need all the help they can get!! :yuk:

Towndrunk
10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
No way, just be nice to her..I treat mine like a redheaded step child and she breaks...alot ! :cry: ..............( . )( . )..........I love my V8!
Yeah, but it hates your canuk ass, EH? :D :D :devil:

Tom Brown
10-09-2006, 04:58 PM
It's like his engine is trying to ban him. :idea:

Kim Hanson
10-10-2006, 06:01 PM
It just whines alot........( . )( . )........... :p

Kim Hanson
10-10-2006, 06:02 PM
It's like his engine is trying to ban him. :idea:
I was thinking the same thing the other day, it sure likes to be drivin hard :p I think I really drive it to hard though........( . )( . )........ :cry:

LIQUID NIRVANA
10-26-2006, 04:33 PM
http://community.webshots.com/user/LIQUIDNIRVANA?action=publicAlbums

Bob T
11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Kim.I've seen you boat at Wizard lots.Looks great.I saw it sitting at Tournament Marine for a while and then it was gone.I asked them and they said it was blowed up and parts were hard to find. Do a search on E-BAY.The other day I saw a blown V8 and the guy was asking $800.It may have the parts you want.If this helps ,come to the Ski Club and take me for a ride! I've got the white JCraft with the 175 Johnny.Ask for Bob.Good luck!BT

Tom Brown
11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Where are you located, Bob?
I'm in Regina.

Bob T
11-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Just outside Edmonton,south of Spruce Grove.My Mom's family is from Regina.My Dad's are from Wolsely,just east on the Trans Canada.BT

Kim Hanson
11-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Kim.I've seen you boat at Wizard lots.Looks great.I saw it sitting at Tournament Marine for a while and then it was gone.I asked them and they said it was blowed up and parts were hard to find. Do a search on E-BAY.The other day I saw a blown V8 and the guy was asking $800.It may have the parts you want.If this helps ,come to the Ski Club and take me for a ride! I've got the white JCraft with the 175 Johnny.Ask for Bob.Good luck!BT
I have another V8 in Kelowna for cheap, let me get it together and I will take you for a spin...........( . )( . )..........What is the " Ski Club "........... :)

Bob T
11-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Wizard Waterski Club.Its about 1/4 of a mile east of the point on the south side of Wizard Lake.The slalom course is right in front.I'm good freinds with John Purnell. From his Action Marine days.BT

LIQUID NIRVANA
02-24-2007, 09:57 PM
EVINRUDE E-Tec V6 3.3litre 350hp out real soon.

Xlration Marine
02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Merc guys hate them cuz the sound like an Indy Car when the blow by them. Don't be getting mad merc boys.:D I think there are vids of them on youtube, do a search for it.
Heavy as well but less than the 4 stroke merc, or any 4 stroke of that size.

full throttle
02-25-2007, 07:01 PM
So what do you all think the new 350HP Rude's will sell for?

Xlration Marine
02-26-2007, 09:41 AM
I'll bet 4 times the cost of rebuilding a V8. Depends on demand. And with the way that OMC dissed people BRP has a long way to go to clean up the mess. From what a dealer tells me BRP wants nothing to do with the production of parts for the older OMC stuff. Time will tell.

JBUSAF
04-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi there, I'm not an outboard guy so I am wondering if I am way off base or if my location is hurting my effort on my E-bay "Item number: 190103274970"?
No intent to SPAM, just trying to get in the right ballpark on this stuff. PM's are fine.
Thanks
JB

STV_Keith
04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi there, I'm not an outboard guy so I am wondering if I am way off base or if my location is hurting my effort on my E-bay "Item number: 190103274970"?
No intent to SPAM, just trying to get in the right ballpark on this stuff. PM's are fine.
Thanks
JB
Well, if you want an honest, from the hip shot, that is WAY overpriced. I bought a good, but disassembled 4.0l powerhead for $400 complete. Do you know if yours is a 3.6l or 4.0l? Twin powerpacks instead of a single...probably a 3.6l (85-87 vintage). With yours having a thrown rod and broke case, I'd say the miscellaneous good stuff (electronics, perhaps heads), etc MIGHT be worth $200. The offshore mid is worth $200 or so, maybe $300 on the high side. The gearcase, assuming nothing wrong, is worth $200-500 depending on condition. I see it's been somewhat modified (whale tale) and has a nose cone, but the stock water inlets haven't been covered up, which basically negates the LWP.
So, all in all, what you have there would be worth around $750 to me...but then add in $400 in freight and you're probably not going to get many buyers.
As another point in the story, I bought 3 complete 4.0l V8's on 25" mids and 3 gearcases for $1500. I did have to go get them (in NY), so that was a pain, but a good deal.
Just my $.02.

Kim Hanson
04-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, if you want an honest, from the hip shot, that is WAY overpriced. I bought a good, but disassembled 4.0l powerhead for $400 complete. Do you know if yours is a 3.6l or 4.0l? Twin powerpacks instead of a single...probably a 3.6l (85-87 vintage). With yours having a thrown rod and broke case, I'd say the miscellaneous good stuff (electronics, perhaps heads), etc MIGHT be worth $200. The offshore mid is worth $200 or so, maybe $300 on the high side. The gearcase, assuming nothing wrong, is worth $200-500 depending on condition. I see it's been somewhat modified (whale tale) and has a nose cone, but the stock water inlets haven't been covered up, which basically negates the LWP.
So, all in all, what you have there would be worth around $750 to me...but then add in $400 in freight and you're probably not going to get many buyers.
As another point in the story, I bought 3 complete 4.0l V8's on 25" mids and 3 gearcases for $1500. I did have to go get them (in NY), so that was a pain, but a good deal.
Just my $.02.
Hey you have too many now, what to get rid of one of those V8's.......( . )( . )..............:idea:

STV_Keith
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey you have too many now, what to get rid of one of those V8's.......( . )( . )..............:idea:
Between Dad and I, we're down to 11...I'm not selling, sorry. :)

Kim Hanson
04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Between Dad and I, we're down to 11...I'm not selling, sorry. :)
11 :eek: you greedy bugger :D :D , I know they are getting hard to find...Good job on 11 V8's..........( . )( . )..............:idea:

STV_Keith
04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
11 :eek: you greedy bugger :D :D , I know they are getting hard to find...Good job on 11 V8's..........( . )( . )..............:idea:
My dad has been collecting for a long time. Still has one he bought new in 1987...never been apart with almost 500 hours on it.
I have 2 4.0's on the Scarab, + 4 more 4.0's as spares. Dad has 5 of the older 3.6's.

Kim Hanson
04-17-2007, 03:15 PM
My dad has been collecting for a long time. Still has one he bought new in 1987...never been apart with almost 500 hours on it.
I have 2 4.0's on the Scarab, + 4 more 4.0's as spares. Dad has 5 of the older 3.6's.
You forgot to say " na, na, nanaa....naaaaaaa "...........( . )( . )...........:D :D

Avenger 1975
05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
That Eliminator is back out for sale again on Rt. 4 - this time at Atlantic Traders. More rain water has hit the top side of that boat than lake water has hit the bottom from what I can see. I'll see what they are asking now, its a year later so I'm sure the price has gone up a few grand!

STV_Keith
05-08-2007, 07:20 AM
its a year later so I'm sure the price has gone up a few grand!
Haha! ;)

STV_Keith
05-08-2007, 07:22 AM
BTW Tom, I've already bought a RH 4-hole CLE to start this undertaking. Next time this thing breaks a LU, it's going to Merc parts.

TomAprilsswitzers
01-02-2009, 07:16 AM
:D :) :) I too am joining this forum a little late. There is a guy in Oak Lawn Illinois who does OMC high Performance work. His name is Joe Ball and the shop he owns is called Dragonmaster Outboards.
If you goto www.freewebs.com/switzercraftreunionregattas/ you can see some of his work. I have 2 V-8's one which is a proto-type closed deck.
I was told by some of the so called experts that this motor didn't exist, one guy even told me that I was mistaken and must have a V 6, Well I know how to count to 8 and never did hear from this guy again after I sent him the pictures of the powerhead.
:devil: :mad: Anyway Joe has reworked this engine for me and our best guess is 400-420 hp on premium gas (I also add a little octaine boost too).
:idea: So contact Joe for work on your V 8, I have been very very satisfied with my engine and use it alot.
Thanks, Tom Arambasich

TomAprilsswitzers
01-02-2009, 07:34 AM
:220v: :D If these pictures downloaded you will se a picture of my 3.6 1985 V8 and the Prototype Closed Deck V 8 I picked up at the Bankruptcy Auction that OMC had just before BRP took over.
:devil:
The powerhead on the left is the Prototype:eek: :eek: :eek:
The prototype was purchased at the Waukeegan Illinois plant in 2002.

STV_Keith
01-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Cool stuff Tom...never seen a closed deck V8 - you have a very rare piece there.
FYI, I sent my two 4.0l V8's to Monty Racing in FL last year and ended up with a pair of good running V8's. They dynoed 382/340ft-lbs on the dyno. Pump gas motors with great driveability. This is with mid bore carbs. Big bores may have yielded more top end, but fuel mileage suffers - and on a big boat like my Scarab, I need the mileage at cruise.
http://www.speedcraving.com/scarab/Monty_Motors/run-05-graph-800.jpg