PDA

View Full Version : A/V reciever

phebus
09-28-2006, 09:58 AM
I want to get an A/V reciever so I could add surround sound, and also have music throughout my house. My house already has speakers in the ceiling in every room, on the front and back patio, and in the garages (it was wired as a smart home, and has a central console, and has A-Bus amplified controllers in every room).
The main room has rear center speakers, and rear left and right speakers in the ceiling, but I will have to buy the front speakers (bookshelf mount), and sub.
I have been looking at the Yamaha recievers, but don't know if I need a two zone, or three zone to fit my needs. I plan on going with a 7.1 system.
Advice?

rivercrazy
09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Take a look at Harman Kardon. I have this receiver and its KILLER.
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?cat=REC&prod=AVR%20745&stype=S

redi4fun
09-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I have been told these components are worth the money.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/index.html
Anybody have any experience with them?

Jyruiz
09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I want to get an A/V reciever so I could add surround sound, and also have music throughout my house. My house already has speakers in the ceiling in every room, on the front and back patio, and in the garages (it was wired as a smart home, and has a central console, and has A-Bus amplified controllers in every room).
The main room has rear center speakers, and rear left and right speakers in the ceiling, but I will have to buy the front speakers (bookshelf mount), and sub.
I have been looking at the Yamaha recievers, but don't know if I need a two zone, or three zone to fit my needs. I plan on going with a 7.1 system.
Advice?
A second zone would allow you use one source in one room and a different source in another room, and so on with the 3 zone recievers, some will allow you to play the same thing thru all the zones. If you want to listen to the same thing thru out the house, then just wired the spakers in parallel and you should be fine. Definitely go with a 7.1 setup though, I have had this for about 4 years now and it is great.

yzfrider
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Outlaw receivers are good units. Although they dont really have all the bells and whistles as Yamaha, pioneer, etc... Dennon make pretty good units as well. Before you are set on a brand make sure you have a price limit. If you only wanted to spend 500 to 1000. Listen to different recievers in that price range and find the one that sounds the best to you. Remember all receivers sound different. If you want to spend more than that, you might want to look at Seperates Such as Rotel, Or even Outlaw. Almost all units come with 2 zones. If you need more than that you can use a switch box. I would not let that part affect your decision. Good luck :)

Cheap Thrills
09-28-2006, 11:52 AM
If you dont mind spending money Dare to dream (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/feature.aspx) :rollside:
Multi Zone (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=13&cat=Multi-Zone+A%2fV+Control+Centers)
C.T. :wink:

Jyruiz
09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Also, you will have to add amps to the receiver for the 2nd and 3rd zones. Now, they do make receivers with powered 2nd and 3rd zones, but those are real pricy.

phebus
09-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Also, you will have to add amps to the receiver for the 2nd and 3rd zones. Now, they do make receivers with powered 2nd and 3rd zones, but those are real pricy.
I think the Yamaha units I am looking at, amplify the 1st and 2nd zone, but if you go to a unit with three zones, the 3rd isn't. Also, I have A Bus controllers in each room that are also amplified, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

Cole Trickle
09-28-2006, 01:20 PM
I think the Yamaha units I am looking at, amplify the 1st and 2nd zone, but if you go to a unit with three zones, the 3rd isn't. Also, I have A Bus controllers in each room that are also amplified, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.
Correct
I just did the Yamaha RXV659 a couple months back. I can play the surround in the TV room and my Ipod/CD or Radio in the Pool table room.
Joel at Tweeter got it for $379.00 It's alot of receiver for the $$

Jyruiz
09-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Ok, then just get a reciever with out amplified zones and use the bus controllers.

yzfrider
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
With powered zones around the house. I would say you want a pretty decent setup so dont skimp on the electronics. Your electronics are only as good as the weekest component. If you are going with Yamaha I would not go with anything less than the RXV 1600 receiver. I have set this receiver up in a few home theaters and the circuitry and sound quailtiy in this receiver are great. Very neutral sounding. It will have plenty of power for the 7.1 setup. Look online and you can find some great deals.

Throttle
09-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I want to get an A/V reciever so I could add surround sound, and also have music throughout my house. My house already has speakers in the ceiling in every room, on the front and back patio, and in the garages (it was wired as a smart home)
Advice?
mmmmm, a smart home and a moron living in it, go figure... lol
advice... burn it, burn it all

INSman
09-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Rick
I have an extra Klipsch center channel if you want to try it out before buying. Don't need any money for it, maybe just some beer or rum or tequila :rollside:

C-2
09-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Keep an eye on craigslist.......tweeks and kids who got their first credit cards at Circuit City/Best Buy are always offloading stuff for cheap. I picked up $750, 7.1 Onkyo 1200W system for $250 cash. I plan on using my oldschool (20 years old) Onkyo 150w/ch amplifier for the fronts. It's already loud..can't wait. Damn Onkyo stuff runs hot though.

Jyruiz
09-28-2006, 07:47 PM
I would recommend you use speakers from the same manufacture for the left/front/right. You wan't your speakers up front timber matched, you don't want to hear the sound sound different when panning from left to right, it will dristract you and you can even loose sound detail when panning. Also, your front speakers are going to do most of the work, so get some good ones. You might want to try a place that has a good return policy because not all speakers sound great once you get them home. I use to like the Klipsch's a lot, till I tried them at home, after 1/2 hour, my ears where fatigued because of how bright they are, horn tweeters usually are. One reason this happen was because I have wood floors and there is not much stuff to absorb some of the sound. They did sound great in the store though, but there walls are usually all lined with carpet. Take your time on the speakers, the speakers usually tend to last longer than the rest of the equipment so do it right the first time.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
09-28-2006, 07:55 PM
I have had yamaha and recently switched to denon. I couldnt be happier. My dennon has 3 zones witch is nice for the backyard and garage. My vote is for dennon avr-3806 its the top selling av reciever in the WORLD.

Cheap Thrills
09-29-2006, 01:27 AM
I would recommend you use speakers from the same manufacture for the left/front/right. You wan't your speakers up front timber matched, you don't want to hear the sound sound different when panning from left to right, it will dristract you and you can even loose sound detail when panning. Also, your front speakers are going to do most of the work, so get some good ones. You might want to try a place that has a good return policy because not all speakers sound great once you get them home. I use to like the Klipsch's a lot, till I tried them at home, after 1/2 hour, my ears where fatigued because of how bright they are, horn tweeters usually are. One reason this happen was because I have wood floors and there is not much stuff to absorb some of the sound. They did sound great in the store though, but there walls are usually all lined with carpet. Take your time on the speakers, the speakers usually tend to last longer than the rest of the equipment so do it right the first time.
I agree with J here. Match em dont mix em.
And horns are bright, I love mine. :)
I've said this before and started a pissing match but I'll say it again anyway. Speakers are the most important component in a system. If the speakers can't play it, you can't hear it. Don't skimp on quality. It's better to overspend on loudspeakers and spend a little less on amplification than it is to buy high end amplification and a set of crappy speakers. that crappy set of speakers will sound like crappy speakers no matter what kind of amp you feed them with. ( Flame suit on) fire away :D
C.T. :wink: