PDA

View Full Version : Skeg on a jet nozzel

Dominator Scott
09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey everyone.
Well as you might have guessed I have another jet boat question. I just recieved me place diverter from Rex Marine for the Sanger and didn't realize that they don't come with the skeg. :mad: Anyways I am installing it tonight after work and was wondering how important that skeg is to have on that nozzel?
Can I run her up to top speed and not worry about the boat trying to swap ends on me? :rolleyes:
Can my existing skeg be made to work with some modifications?

Fire Water
09-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Scott, my whitewater boat doesn't have a skeg because it would get broken off in the shallow water. It will help with manuverability at slow speed and will also give you a little control when you let up on the throttle. Just remember that if you dont have a skeg and you let up on the gas you'll have no steering.

Dominator Scott
09-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Scott, my whitewater boat doesn't have a skeg because it would get broken off in the shallow water. It will help with manuverability at slow speed and will also give you a little control when you let up on the throttle. Just remember that if you dont have a skeg and you let up on the gas you'll have no steering.
She doesn't steer worth a chit when you let off the gas now so I imagine there won't be much difference. :rollside:

LAFD
09-28-2006, 12:59 PM
when i had my jet i never had one on my jet. jets dont turn worth crap unless you use some throttle.

wright27
09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
It is just extra drag in the water. Not worth loosing 2 mph. :)

mach1alaska
09-28-2006, 01:17 PM
I would never run a rudder on a jet. I have had 5 jetboats and have removed rudders from 2 of them. Install the diverter , throw a roost and have fun.
Place diverter= lake lice cannon :skull: :skull:

centerhill condor
09-28-2006, 01:30 PM
yea, what they said...the jet works as vectored thrust. and it doesn't work unless there's thrust to vector. Like we said earlier take her out and drive it real easy like..at idle and you'll see how it can spin on the boat's center which is the ultimate in low speed manuverability. yea, you'll have to spin the wheel back and forth at low speed until you realize you're over reacting.
take it nice and easy. but realize its a jetski with a big block motor...exactly the same. skeg on a jet...you crack me up! my jet doesn't even have bolt holes for a rudder. They're real thin aluminum anyway and get bent or broken.

Dominator Scott
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
yea, what they said...the jet works as vectored thrust. and it doesn't work unless there's thrust to vector. Like we said earlier take her out and drive it real easy like..at idle and you'll see how it can spin on the boat's center which is the ultimate in low speed manuverability. yea, you'll have to spin the wheel back and forth at low speed until you realize you're over reacting.
take it nice and easy. but realize its a jetski with a big block motor...exactly the same. skeg on a jet...you crack me up! my jet doesn't even have bolt holes for a rudder. They're real thin aluminum anyway and get bent or broken.
Well I guess this about sums up that question. Now I can see why the guys at Speedwake.com sent me here with my jet boat questions and I thankyou for everyones input and advice.
I am hitting the garage tonight to install the diverter and the gate valve so she is ready for sea trials this weekend. Then the only thing left is a set of over transom headers and she will be stylin'.
I must say I truely love my 32 Dominator but this Sanger is an absolute blast to drive. :)

olbiezer
09-28-2006, 01:40 PM
where are you guys running that its so freeking shallow that u bend a rudder sticking down 4 inches? id say if its that shallow u dont need to be there anyway.......just my 2 cents worth......ive had jets with and without em.....i like the way they handle with a small one.....maybe its jut peace of mind i dont know........ :) :rollside: hell maybe its that i am just used to working with a small one :rolleyes:

67weimann
09-28-2006, 07:21 PM
hell maybe its that i am just used to working with a small one :rolleyes:
that could be it :yuk: :crossx:

olbiezer
09-28-2006, 08:23 PM
ya got to go with what ya got there 67 lol :) :rollside:

OverKill
09-28-2006, 10:32 PM
I bought a nice new polished rudder and it worked great while cruising through the marinas. I took it off that weekend because while beached it got all banged up from the waves lifting up the transom then slaming into the rocks. Definitlely a wast of money.

centerhill condor
09-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Hey Scott,
just a couple more things...when you launch from the trailer just push it off. If you reverse in the shallow you can ingest rocks and stuff into your drive and you'll not like the result.
Also, when you start the engine..make sure you're pointed in a safe direction 'cause she may stall and keep moving with out steering ability. no thrust no peace!
Neutral for a jet.. doesn't exist! oh, you can wag the shifter all you want but when the motor is running the boat is gonna move!

Dominator Scott
09-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Hey Scott,
just a couple more things...when you launch from the trailer just push it off. If you reverse in the shallow you can ingest rocks and stuff into your drive and you'll not like the result.
Also, when you start the engine..make sure you're pointed in a safe direction 'cause she may stall and keep moving with out steering ability. no thrust no peace!
Neutral for a jet.. doesn't exist! oh, you can wag the shifter all you want but when the motor is running the boat is gonna move!
Yeah I have already learned that neutral and jet boat don't go in the same sentence. :) She is a lot different to drive than my 32 Dominator with twin screws.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Not to start an argument but I have 2 friends with eliminators and they HAD to get rudders. It helped with low speed steering but believe it or not it improved steering at high speeds! I never liked them but they actually work! I had first hand experience with them this year! I personally dont run them cuz they look gay to me but they do work!

OverKill
09-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Im thinking about 2 or three rudders think I can turn on a dime then????

xs ultra
09-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Im thinking about 2 or three rudders think I can turn on a dime then????
I see how ya got the name "overkill"

OverKill
09-29-2006, 08:04 PM
No kidding I must thank my buddy Dan AKA Squirtcha? Everything I do seems to be more than enough.