PDA

View Full Version : dual batt's

crmax
11-21-2001, 08:47 PM
I want to put dual batt's in my wellcraft (7.4 mpi), is there a kit for this and what do I have to look out for?

Havasu Hangin'
11-22-2001, 01:17 PM
Yeah, look out for people who charge $500 for this operation...
No kit, all you need is:
1. Perko dual battery switch from West Marine, Boat/US, etc.
2. Another battery box like the one you have now.
3. Another battery
4. 2 gauge battery cable (I used the marine stuff- a little more expensive, but I'm worth it).
5. Connectors for the cable.
Find a place to mount the switch. I mounted mine under the back seat, beacuse I have an electric hatch ram. Now mount the other battery. Measure how much cable you will need, and go buy it.
Where the wire used to run from the battery to the starter, now run it to the switch. Run the + wires from the batteries to the switch. Ground the new battery.
Make sure your alternator wire is connected to the starter side of the switch. You might want to buy the switch with the alternator cut out, so you don't kill the alternator by switching batteries while the engine is running.
Good luck!
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

crmax
11-22-2001, 08:04 PM
simple enough, Thanks

Tinkerboater
11-23-2001, 05:44 PM
Sounds good but you forgot one thing- the means to charge both batteries at the same time with out the batterie switch in the both possition. Install a batterie isolator so that you can charge both batteries and still have one batterie as a spare.