PDA

View Full Version : NEW Marine Crate Motors (540's 572's) for 10.5K? Educated opinions on these please..

SoCalSouthpaw
09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
So a few of you know Im needing a new motor. I ran across this ad over on OSO (http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6210.html) for brand new marine crate motors for 10.5K. I phoned the guy and it sounds like he's gota pretty good operation. Take a look at the ad and the internal parts list and form your own opinion. What are some other than obvious questions would you ask about 'em?
Thanks!
BTW - From a previous thread (mine about engine builders) some of you gave me names and numbers and I did make some calls and was expecting to spend no less than twice the price than that of the motors in the OSO ad for what seems like the same setup.

cdog
09-29-2006, 01:21 PM
The gm engines are made with good parts. You'll want to go with the low compression version and you'll need a new cam and valve springs. The cam they use has too much overlap for wet exhaust.

Dave C
09-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Add to that price at least $7,000-8,000 to get it turnkey with a carb with cheap exhaust. That is just the long block price so you still have to buy the accessories and exhaust. All of which add up QUICKLY!!! :crossx: :jawdrop:
For N/A that is a good price. Good parts too.
IMHO most motor builders that build for marine usage are way overpriced.
but what the hell do I know...... :rollside: :rollside:

SoCalSouthpaw
09-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Add to that price at least $7,000-8,000 to get it turnkey with a carb with cheap exhaust. That is just the long block price so you still have to buy the accessories and exhaust. All of which add up QUICKLY!!! :crossx: :jawdrop:
For N/A that is a good price. Good parts too.
IMHO most motor builders that build for marine usage are way overpriced.
but what the hell do I know...... :rollside: :rollside:
Thanks. I have a set of CMI Sport Tuned Headers. All the accessories, minus the carb. Oh, probably a new oil pump since I believe that is what went to cause my seizure - the seizure the motor had too... lol. :)

KLEPTOW
09-29-2006, 01:46 PM
I think you should find out how they handle warranty issues, I know a un-named chevy dealer near me that I have visited to look at some core 572 that were replaced under warranty no questions asked, and yes they were used for marine applications.

Dave C
09-29-2006, 01:53 PM
well shiat what are you waiting for. :crossx:
I would just research their background a little see if anyone had any issues with them. I have been using the same guy in Illinois for some time so I haven't tried anyone new.
Also I prefer the non-eagle stuff but thats more of a preference than anything. It appears that Callies, Lunati are available. Get that and it should be a good piece. :crossx:
I am building one for the car now but I am probably going Callies, etc.
Thanks. I have a set of CMI Sport Tuned Headers. All the accessories, minus the carb. Oh, probably a new oil pump since I believe that is what went to cause my seizure - the seizure the motor had too... lol. :)

bordsmnj
09-29-2006, 02:25 PM
i have a gen 6 gm whipple motor(750HP) i'll sell complete for 12k obo. from flame arestor to oil pan and out the exhaust tips. it's the one in my avatar and it'll be live in parker this weekend if your out that way. 714-791-1383 -Jas