PDA

View Full Version : bassett headers

flattie
01-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Do any of you guys get Mr. super boater cop has any one been giving you a hard time about mufflers in your headers? I have never had any problems with them into this year. So I went out and purchased a set of bassett mufflers & rex marine silencers and I'm right at the decible rating. Just wondering what others are running in there headers.If they keep giving me shit they might find that old boston whaler sitting on the bottom of the marina some morning.

Riptide01
01-07-2002, 06:27 PM
Flattie,
You have struck upon a subject that is effecting us all more and more.
You have taken the right approach with the mufflers. Have they tested you with a decibel meter?
I went to a City Council meeting here in the Northwest. A city wanted to throw any boat with "above water exhaust" off a certain lake.
At the meeting we had probably 30 ***boaters.
The city council was overwhelmed, and agreed to postpone any actions. A committie was set up with home owners and boaters, the State donated a decible meter and a day on the lake for testing was set up. To this day boats are still allowed but watched carefully.
Another thing you will find is all it takes is one JERK to screw it up for every one.
I dont know where you are boating, but we all need to act responsible around others. The type of boats that we have are not looked upon favorably.
I have seen guys buzzing the shore line, or cutting people off. Think about when you stand on shore and hear a v-drive boat coming.Home owners seem to really get freaked. We also need to watch or attitudes when confronted. With mufflers in place and responsible behavior. There should be a lot less hassle..
There are several different mufflers and price ranges. Its a balancing act to curb the noise and not kill all the performance.
The places where we can run boats here in the Northwest are getting fewer and fewer.
Look at what is happening to personal watercraft.
Try to work with the community and /or the cops to see what needs to be done. Good luck.

Snowboat
01-07-2002, 07:25 PM
All right, a topic that strikes close to home. I live in Wyoming and the laws require the use of some form of muffling, water in the headers will do. Of course the fisherman bitch, but who cares as long as you give them some space. Now Montana has become a different story. They expect 86 db, 90 degrees off of the end of the header at one meter, at idle. Pretty damn tough. They have some really nice spots but too many Granola chompers. So one must overcome the noise and try to make it sound like a thru transom Bayliner. Before I go on, what are the Rex Marine part numbers for ths mufflers you are using? Sounds like you are double rubbered, using two in each collector. Last summer I used the safety man's db meter and ran a few tests on a blown Biesemeyer with a .700 lift cam. Never got it to idle less than about 1,000 rpm. I had the meter 90 degreees from the outlet and one meter away. The Bassett slip ins were Rex # 126132, and the slip in silencers were #161100. Also used some flowmasters. Here is what I found. Nothing but a little water-95db @1050 rpm. Slipins #126132 were92 db @960 rpm. The #161100 were 92 @950 rpm. When I put the flowmasters on (oh yeah, double ugly) I got 85 to 85 with either style installed, in addition the slip ins @950 to 1100 rpm. There were two mufflers for each collector, a slip in and a flowmaster. Now this is pretty strict. We're tallking three feet away at idle. Also it you put 45' tips on and point them up, rather than down, it works pretty well. What with banning two strokes, jet boats, pwc, and trying to make stuff sound like a 4.3 IO, I'd be curious to see what others have found.

V-Kid
01-08-2002, 08:10 PM
Damn those granola crunchers!!!!!
I could listen to uncorked blown BBs all day but I guess its not music for everyones ears.Up here I have to run through the transome (is that a fire thing) but I found a set of headers that rise up nicely with a twist and back down through in eddies catalog but im buying a set of straight outs incase I find some lakes that alow it (BC?)(NWUSA?)But I saw a system that reroutes the exhaust out the transome under the water line by the push of a button can it be implemented with headers , would that be ugly and would the whaler come out and chase you once you crack em, or is the db rule just at shore at idle Kid

Riptide01
01-09-2002, 07:21 AM
Hey Kid,
The Db. thing is different from area to area and from lake to lake. There use to be a web page that gave some of the laws for different areas. I will try to locate it.
I believe Idaho has some of the toughest laws.

V-Kid
01-11-2002, 07:44 PM
Riptide01
THANKS THAT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Idaho! what the hell ! Potatoes are deaf they can see well cause they have eyes ha!
Kid

Bluefin
01-11-2002, 10:39 PM
Easy there V-Kid, there are plenty of ***boats here in Idaho. I have had my Hondo in every lake around Boise. Early in the season I will run the slip in silencers along with Super Traps. I have never been tested yet but I am sure it will happen. Most of late last season I ran uncorked.
P.S. The ass end of my boat is in the Jet Performance forum under What is a ***boat.
Where is home Riptide01? Later Bluefin

Riptide01
01-11-2002, 11:48 PM
Hey Bluefin,
I said I believe, as in I believee I could be wrong. I am in Tacoma, WA. They are getting tough over here on some lakes.
Where are the hotspots in Idaho?
Later Riptide
[This message has been edited by Riptide01 (edited January 11, 2002).]

Bluefin
01-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Hey Riptide01, From Boise there is Lucky Peak about 10 minutes from downtown. It's pretty busy Memorial-Labor Day but quiets down after the peak season. We go out after work at least once a week and on weekends. About 100 miles north is McCall. Its a resort town on the edge of a lake. Lots of houses and docks to cruise by and the cops are quite tolerant of the ***boats. The elevation is over 5000 ft and I have to rejet when ever I am there.
I lived in Seattle for 9 years before I got back home to Idaho. Very beautiful place to live......when the sun is out.
The guys I run with are a diverse bunch. 4 Jets, 1 Outboard, 1 other V-Drive and I/O's come and go. Talk to you later. Bluefin

Tinkerboater
01-12-2002, 01:36 PM
I have silent choice on my SCARAB and I run the LIGHTNING headers almost dry. With the exhaust closed it is about as loud as a stock boat with the exhaust open so they don't bother me about noise. Heaven forbid they should ever catch me with the exhaust open. It wakes the dead at 5400 rpm.

Riptide01
01-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Hey V-kid and Bluefin,
Here is the page with the Noise laws.Or some of them. You can see the differances.
All depends on where you go, how you act and what the cop did or didnt do the night before... http://www.corsaperf.com/mlaws.htm
The site is Corsa exhaust and they offer some marine stuff.
Bluefin, I will take you up on that. We have various jetters, some runnerbottoms, a cheyenne mini-cruiser with a twin turbo 427.
And a couple pickle forks. Have you ever been to Vantage on the Columbia..?

Bluefin
01-13-2002, 01:45 AM
Riptide01: Yes I have been to Vantage. My favorite place to camp and boat was the lake behind Roslyn. I used to camp and do a lot of wakeboarding on that lake. My boat at the time was a 69 Fiberform with a straight 6. The boat was huge, had seats for 8.
Vantage was my first encounter with BIG WATER. Launched at Vantage and went up river to the big sand bar on the west side of the river and camped out. It was cool because you could hear the concert that was playing at the Gorge at George. Watched George Thorogood two times, Ringo Star and All Star Band at George Wa. Winthrop was a good camp when they had the Blues Festival going. Lots of memories. Later Bluefin