PDA

View Full Version : Fire suppression systems ?

1968Droptop
10-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Anyone using any type of fire suppression system ? What choices do I have ? Not definate I'm going to install one, but it sure sounds like a decent idea to me.

hairysituation
10-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Put a hose on the end of your jet :)

Captain Assin' Off
10-01-2006, 05:50 PM
If you continue to run with that silly, heavy engine cover, yes it is probably a good idea. The most common type is a Halon system for marine use. It does damage to the ozone upon extinguish, so the EPA will probably ban it soon.
There will be a MPH sacrifice due to the weight of any automatic system, you will need to incorporate sensors that will detect a fire, and an actuation device that will either melt, or electrically allow the suppresant to flow.
It can get complicated, and as you have seen my boat, complication is something I do not fear, there is always the option of running without a cover, so when the fire does rear it's ugly head, you will know immediatly, and you can grab one of your three ABC fire extinguishers on board, and douche the fire manual style.
Of course, none of this really matters, if you don't quickly aquire another Alpine casette deck, so those tunes of yours can rock this joint! See you on the 21st!! :skull:

Rexone
10-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Get a Fireboy Automatic system. (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=fireboymain) They're not complicated and do a great job when sized and utilized properly. Do not undersize as they may not put out the fire. They are caculated on cu ft of compartment being covered.
btw new Halon for automatic systems was banned 5 years ago at least (probably longer). We still get recycled Halon 1211 for handhelds but not the auto systems (which were Halon 1301). Dupont can no longer manufacture new Halon due to environmentalists. It's kind of funny, I read an article years ago regarding Halon discharged into the atmosphere. Halon from fire extinguishers (vs other uses) amounted to a fraction of a % of the total Halon. Halon was / is the most efficient fire extinguishing agent invented (at least was at the time) yet it was banned for FE use along with all the rest.

Konabud
10-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Droppy what's up!! I'm putting in a sniffer system with an alarm. That will accomplish the same thing without the weight (I dont think I have the room anyway). It's supposed to go off if you have 20% of the fumes it takes to make an explosion (I always worry about the explosion thing also). The first thing they tell you in boating 101 is before starting open the compartment and use your own sniffer, it's way more sensitive that anything you can buy.
Creg

PBOCOP
10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
My buddy had one on his Howard. It still burned to the ground with the system operating.

Rexone
10-02-2006, 05:41 PM
It is true they don't alway successfully put out the fire. But better than nothing.
Problem is if there's an electrical ignition source (like a short arcing) unless the bat is disconnected it can re-ignite after the extinguishing agent dissapates.
Best to have plenty of handheld backups (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=firex) so when you open the hatch you can blow the fire out until the bat connection or switch can be reached. The auto system is great for initial knockdown.
Be aware they're primarily designed for closed engine compartments so the effect in open air won't work that well.

1968Droptop
10-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the tips ! This is my 1st covered engine boat, and the thought of a fire scares the crap outta me. Even though it's a `94, I'm going to replacing all the fuel lines, and I'm going to step up to braided as well.

455Rocket
10-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Coming from my experience here's a few details about Halon - I work on aircraft fire extinguishing systems for a living...
Although Halon was "banned" there is plenty in the marketplace... requirements are to recylce and filter both 1211 and 1301. Our board price for 1211 is $30/lb so it's still not out of the ballpark considering how well it performs over replacement agents. 1301 is about twice that.
Halon isn't the most efficient agent... just the most useful for high-dollar items... doesn't leave residue etc... It is by far the most advanced: it breaks down the fire chemically, and was designed from freon (like in your refrigerator) but a Hydrogen atom was replaced by a Bromine atom, so not to combust.
I suggest a 2.5 lb portable unit for the engine and a 2.5 lb portable for the interior/back-up. I can help you out w/ both:
Brian
Tym's Inc.
310-673-3330

Rexone
10-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the tips ! This is my 1st covered engine boat, and the thought of a fire scares the crap outta me. Even though it's a `94, I'm going to replacing all the fuel lines, and I'm going to step up to braided as well.
Run the bilge blower and / or open hatch before starting "every time" too. Seen way too many peeps not bother with it. One spark somewhere, a little fuel fumes...Boom.