PDA

View Full Version : My Excursion Died

CBadDad
10-01-2006, 06:46 PM
I was leaving my daughters soccer game yesterday and as I approached an intershection traveling approx 25mph I signaled to turn and applied the brakes and they were "hard". My first thought was that I better get those checked, but as I began my turn I had no power steering. When I looked at my dash, it was lit up and I had nada on my RPM gage. I managed to throw it in nuetral and pull it to the side of the road. I sat there for a moment, put it in park and she fired right up. I had 3/4 tank of fuel.
I haven't had any other problems since.
Any thoughts?
For the record, it's an '02 7.3 PSD w/ 63K miles.

YeLLowBoaT
10-01-2006, 07:27 PM
hmmm could be lots of things... I would start with your battery cables. Its very commen for them to go bad/ come lose. That and fuses are the main cuases for a car to just die like that.

Rockchucker
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Camshaft position sensor is a well known culprit.

HMF'er
10-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Muffler bearings :rolleyes:

78CoLe
10-01-2006, 10:24 PM
i agre with the cam shaft pos sesor same prob on my 02 7.3 always happened when letting off the throttle

Partycattin
10-02-2006, 08:33 AM
I'd have this checked.
Mine did the same thing. Then one day it wouldn't start back up.
It was the cam sensor and the dealer covered it under warranty.

XtrmWakeborder
10-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Did it run rough before it died? My blazer did the exact same thing as yours due to a dead battery because my alternator was gone. Might want to check that also.

jbone
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Hook it up to the diagnostic computer and check the flux capacitor. ;)
J

ddevore
10-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Ford want's 2x the cost for a Cam Position Sensor than international or ebay will get ($100 from international)... check out www.thedieselstop.com - these guys know everything about these trucks, including the part numbers - I believe they even have step by step instructions on replacing the CPS (more than likely the problem).

shadow
10-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Ford want's 2x the cost for a Cam Position Sensor than international or ebay will get ($100 from international)... check out www.thedieselstop.com - these guys know everything about these trucks, including the part numbers - I believe they even have step by step instructions on replacing the CPS (more than likely the problem).
Does EBAY or International give you a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty on parts & labor at any Ford dealership that you might be near,If the cam position sensor fails within that period of time will they pick up the tow bill? :)

ddevore
10-04-2006, 05:02 PM
But I'm sure they'll charge more than the tow bill, and take more time than it's worth to install it... If your worried keep a spare in the glove box like many of the posters on thedieselstop.com recommend - I've got 85k on the origianal so I have not had to deal with it yet... just passing on what I've heard from others.

sleekcrafter
10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
If you truck is out of warranty, or towing is not covered. Consider this, the CPS have been widely known, and are prone to failure. So if you are likely to keep the vehicle, don't get the Ford OE replacement unit, or the IH equivalent. but instead, get the IH CPS for the six cylinder, as explained here:
Improved Cam Position Sensor (CPS) for 7.3L Ford Powerstroke
If you own a 7.3L Powerstroke, you may already be aware of the shortcomings of the stock Cam Position Sensor (CPS). It is common for the CPS to fail causing the engine to run poorly or to stop running altogether and it usually happens at the most inconvenient times, such as in traffic or pulling a load so many owners carry a spare CPS. A new International Harvester CPS can be installed in the Powerstroke engine and will make the engine run quieter, smoother while increasing performance and mileage. The IHC CPS provides a stronger more consistent signal to the Ford computer which results in a more accurate injection of fuel and better running engine with easier starts.
IHC#1807339C92 available here: http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com

BadKachina
10-04-2006, 06:40 PM
CPS is pretty interesting, once in a while I'll start mine up and it chugs like an old two stroke Detroit until I give it some throttle and then it will clear up. Other times it will fire up and until it warms up it wont move. You can literally floor it in gear and it wont rev up. It's been doing both of these things for a couple of years so I just took it as it's cold blooded. I have about 80k on a 2000 7.3 Excursion. Maybe I'll throw one of those new CPS's at it to see if it clears it up.

boatnam2
10-17-2006, 08:54 PM
yea that wil be what it is,mine did that turkey day at the river on a 6am mornign cruise by myself.needless to say i learned how to hitch hike that day.

Hardly Satisfied
10-18-2006, 07:20 AM
time for a new truck

Not So Fast
10-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Probably in sympathy for Ford stock value :rolleyes: NSF

STV_Keith
10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
CPS as mentioned above. Only thing not mentioned is if you have an old-style plug in chip plugged into the ECM - bad connection there can cause that too.

CBadDad
10-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Last night while driving home, it stalled again but I was able to start right back up. I kept putting it off, but knew I better get a new CPS soon or I was asking for trouble. Then it happened again this morning after I dropped my daughter off at school, only this time it won't restart, so I had to walk home.
Could've been worse, but I had a new pair of running shoes in the back, my tools are in there too, it's a beautiful day here in San Diego, and there were lots MILF's getting there morning exercise.
I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm gonna try and fix it myself. If it doesn't start then, I'll have it towed to the dealer and let them work on it.

BOBALOO
10-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I hav put 2 Cam sensors in my 2002 7.3l f350, they last about 70kmi for me. I put one in at 70k one at 145k and I have 182k on it now. I better get a spare.
ALL the trucks in our fleet that have the 7.3 have exibited the same symptoms and needed cam sensors before 100k. Takes 10 min start to finish to change it out. It is down by the balancer and has a gold bracket. One bolt holds it in.
Or take it in and have a warranty and clean fingernails.
BOB(cheap bastard:D)ALOO

CBadDad
10-19-2006, 01:08 PM
If a 3/8" wrench is too small and a 7/8 is too big, what size wrench do you use?
I used a 10mm and it worked just fine. Took me closer to an hour, but I couldn't find it at first. Next time it won't take as long. All better now and only have a small scrape on the back of my hand.
Oh ya, it cost me a little over $200 bucks for the CPS from the dealer. No one else had it in stock and I needed to do it today - not tomorrow. Save yourself some $$$ and get a spare.

SHOTKALLIN
11-08-2006, 01:02 PM
It happened to my denali. new battery was needed. have your alternator checked also.

CBadDad
11-18-2006, 06:52 PM
It happened to my denali. new battery was needed. have your alternator checked also.
A month later and no more issues.
If you have a Ford Diesel, be prepared to change the CPS.