PDA

View Full Version : Cavitation plate question .

beerjet
10-02-2006, 07:09 PM
The cruiser has cavitation plates and I was planning on a diverter. Should I pull the plates up at all or leave them level with the bottom of the boat . Is it going to matter at all with a diverter. Pulling them off is out of the question since they are mortised into the bottom.
-beerjet-

flat broke
10-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Beer jet,
Are they fixed or can you control them via a pedal or electric motor? The hull will respond to downward trim with the plates much quicker than the diverter, so if they are controlable from the driver's seat, I'd keep them, run them in the up position most of the time unless you need to stuff the nose. A 21' jet isn't going to ride back on the plates like a Vdrive would due to the difference in lift that can be achieved with a prop vs underwater hardware with a jet.
If you want to ditch them, you are not totally screwed, you could cut small plates to bolt in where the existing plates are, but that stop at the transom. There were a couple of Spectra 20 jets I have seen done this way. They were laid up with the recesses for the plates, but they were rigged as jets, so they just bolted a plate up into the recess to take up the space.
Good luck with it.
Chris

beerjet
10-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Beer jet,
Are they fixed or can you control them via a pedal or electric motor? The hull will respond to downward trim with the plates much quicker than the diverter, so if they are controlable from the driver's seat, I'd keep them, run them in the up position most of the time unless you need to stuff the nose. A 21' jet isn't going to ride back on the plates like a Vdrive would due to the difference in lift that can be achieved with a prop vs underwater hardware with a jet.
If you want to ditch them, you are not totally screwed, you could cut small plates to bolt in where the existing plates are, but that stop at the transom. There were a couple of Spectra 20 jets I have seen done this way. They were laid up with the recesses for the plates, but they were rigged as jets, so they just bolted a plate up into the recess to take up the space.
Good luck with it.
Chris
F-B they are fixed. I dont mind keeping them (they make good swim steps) I just wasn't sure if I was better off moving them up once I got a diverter or if there position makes a diffrence at all once I get a diverter.
I finally got the hallet out on the river and was smooth as silk fri. and sat . Late afternoon on sat. it developed a slight porpoise . So I was thinking if the cav plate position is going to affect or limit the performance of the diverter.
-beerjet-