PDA

View Full Version : Lojack question

Sportin' Wood
10-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Does anyone know if Lojack works south of the border?
I'm taking my buggy to Baja for 10 days during the 1000 and we are going all the way to Cabo after the race. Just wondering if I might wanna pony up for some Lojack.

Huckleberry
10-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Nope. Lojack only works in metropolitan areas where the folks at Lojack offer coverage. The Lojack device is activated by the police department after taking the stolen vehicle report. The po po in Mexico do not have the Lojack equipment in their cars, and are not part of the Lojack network. The reporting part that is. They have been rumored to be part of an auto theft ring for many years though! :crossx:

deltaAce
10-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Actually Lojack works in reverse in Mexico, thats how they FIND the cars that are worthy to steal. :)

Devil's Advocate
10-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Actually Lojack works in reverse in Mexico, thats how they FIND the cars that are worthy to steal. :)
:D

RiverToysJas
10-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I've heard that San Diego Police can find cars in TJ with their Low Jack. Or is that just Urban Legand?
Won't help SW, just curious....
RTJas :D

RitcheyRch
10-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Might be some truth to that.

LAVEYSABRE575
10-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Lojack might work in TJ, It works off cell phone towers so if the towers can pickup a ping from a stolen car in TJ it can transmit it to the cruiser or copter thats equipped with lojack....Derek

BOBALOO
10-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I would NEVER take any car worth putting Lojack on down to Mexico. You would have better luck keeping your stuff by filling your pockets with 20$ bills and sleeping inside your car.
BOB(never feels safe in Mexico)ALOO....and I am Mexican.

Sportin' Wood
10-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I would NEVER take any car worth putting Lojack on down to Mexico. You would have better luck keeping your stuff by filling your pockets with 20$ bills and sleeping inside your car.
BOB(never feels safe in Mexico)ALOO....and I am Mexican.
I appreciate your opinion, Might bite my a$$ but I have felt safe the three times I visited over the last year. Monster Energy drink seems to buy a lot of comfort south of Ensenada.
Sportin' (The closest I've been to being Mexican was dating a few in HS) Wood :)

Mandelon
10-03-2006, 03:11 PM
I have LoJack on my laptop!

BOBALOO
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM
I have LoJack on my laptop!
Have fun in Mexico Sportin Wood. I have had some awesome times down there. I am just a little more paranoid these days.
Rich, does it work like the car versions? I have the early warning on our Lexus and know when the batteries get low in the keyfob b/c the Lojack computer contacts us.

badtaste
10-03-2006, 04:39 PM
The Lojack signal works there, for a few miles anyway. SDPD and SDSO helicopters routinely get hits on stolens, only to find the signal continues into Mexico. The problem is that no one can go get the vehicles. I haven't heard of Mexico being part of the system. I'd get it anyway. It won't help if the buggy's stolen in Mexico, but if it's stolen here (seems to be more often lately) you're covered.

Angry Inch
10-03-2006, 04:50 PM
When the pros stole my car, they left the lojack unit on my driveway. I was never refuned the money from lojack.

Sportin' Wood
10-04-2006, 05:52 AM
I'd get it anyway. It won't help if the buggy's stolen in Mexico, but if it's stolen here (seems to be more often lately) you're covered.
I thought about it but the buggy does not get out too much. There have been a number of them stolen from motels during crawling comps, not one has been retrieved that I know of. They take the truck,trailer and buggy.
I'm guessing the rhino theft market will spike pretty soon with so many people buying them and plenty of aftermarket goodies. :skull:
I know I'd sleep with my toys if I was a glamis user.

RiverToysJas
10-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Like what happened to this dude..... (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/210391290.html) :mad:

Sportin' Wood
10-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Like what happened to this dude..... (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/210391290.html) :mad:
Yea just like this one
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453413
Better watch your stuff if your into motorsports around Vegas.

C-2
10-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Why not pony down for one of the GPS kids phones?
Charge it, hide it, charge it on a daily basis. When you get home, give it to your kid. Just don't tell them what it's being used for so you don't create any new hurdles. Simply tell them you're going on vacation to Mex.
-- Just thinking out loud, but I'm sure it will work. :idea:

Nautitwins2
10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Why not pony down for one of the GPS kids phones?
Charge it, hide it, charge it on a daily basis. When you get home, give it to your kid. Just don't tell them what it's being used for so you don't create any new hurdles. Simply tell them you're going on vacation to Mex.
-- Just thinking out loud, but I'm sure it will work. :idea:
Not a bad idea right there.