PDA

View Full Version : Polishing

Ian
03-05-2003, 05:40 PM
My dad and I are currently redoing the inside of our Flatty, do any of you have a suggestions for polishing aluminum. I'm using Blue Magic to repolish most of the aluminum, but there are some new pieces I've made that have never been polished. Can anyone outline the steps I should take to shine these pieces up? Thanks in advance.

Kindsvater Flat
03-05-2003, 05:55 PM
I use a die grinder with a 3" buff with white rouge. Kinda makes a mess but works good. After that it pretty easy to maintain.

126driver
03-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Polishing is a dirty, nasty job that you will swear you'll never do again, but if you're like me, you'll find yourself saying that more than once. :rolleyes: :mad: If you take your time the pieces will come out bitchin'. If you're polishing new pieces you will need to sand your fingerprints off before you hit it with the polishing wheel. Or use a heavy cutting compound like a type 5 to do the majority of the work before using a red rogue and finishing up with a white rouge. Go slow with the RPM's on your wheel (1800) and make damn sure you switch wheels when switching compounds. Depending on the size of your pieces, you may want to use a 3" wheel, or step up to a 6" wheel. Don't forget to wear a mask and be prepared to get used to black under your fingernails. :rolleyes:
Have fun. :p :D

BILLY.B
03-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Ian, check your P.Ms.

ACCEPTENCE
03-05-2003, 07:32 PM
I can outline exactly the best way to achieve a show polish or your parts. It's the best way I have found and it's a no brainer.
Here the formula: DESTINCTIVE METAL POLISHING in Reseda. (818) 344-2160.
His name is Derick.
He did my wing and everything else on my boat, and does the maintenance/upkeep on it too. :D :D
In a nut shell: Send it out.
[ March 05, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: ACCEPTENCE ]

77charger
03-05-2003, 08:34 PM
ACCEPTENCE:
I can outline exactly the best way to achieve a show polish or your parts. It's the best way I have found and it's a no brainer.
Here the formula: DESTINCTIVE METAL POLISHING in Reseda. (818) 344-2160.
His name is Derick.
He did my wing and everything else on my boat, and does the maintenance/upkeep on it too. :D :D
In a nut shell: Send it out. they also distribute an awesome alm polish too its called heavy metal polish!The blue works very good for polish maint.And the green is good for little more oxidized stuff.

e-ticket
03-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Ian,
Give me a call tomorrow. May be able to help you out on that. 482-8799 :)

superdave013
03-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Ian, did you get those gears today?

rrrr
03-05-2003, 10:26 PM
The problem: when it's done you forget about everything in sight covered with black shit, and how many hours it took to make it all shine. Don't be fooled!! It took almost 100 hours to get my FE lookin' good.
Get an estimate from some of the recommended shops and bargain a little. Your wife already thinks you're a bonehead, when the whole house is contaminated with the residue from hell she will make you pay!!!! :D :D
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/504/109Engine1-med.jpg

Dragboat Dad
03-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks Superdave, we got the gears and they look great. Also thanks to everyone who helps us out with advise.
[ March 06, 2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Dragboat Dad ]

Bad Meds
03-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Polish ? Did someone say polish ? I like Truckers Choice polish. It seems to work really well and it come off easy which some polishes don't! I'm sure we've all played with the residue left by some polishes :mad: http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/524/185motor-med.jpg
It works for me. Truckers Choice
1-800-443-5347
Good luck!

Kindsvater Flat
03-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Bad Meds:
Polish ? Did someone say polish ? I like Truckers Choice polish. It seems to work really well and it come off easy which some polishes don't! I'm sure we've all played with the residue left by some polishes :mad: http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/524/185motor-med.jpg
It works for me. Truckers Choice
1-800-443-5347
Good luck! You don't have much to polish do you? :D

Dragboat Dad
03-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Damn Bad Meds, that much polishing would put me in divorce court! How do you keep the zoomies so nice, I don't see much discoloration.

126driver
03-06-2003, 01:06 PM
ACCEPTENCE:
In a nut shell: Send it out. I agree. Everytime I polish a part I swear it will be my last. :mad: Then, just the other night, I'm drinking a few beers in my garage and find myself taking Dremel sanding disks to my spare set of aluminum heads... :rolleyes:

Bad Meds
03-06-2003, 01:20 PM
One word " single ". At least not married. The zoomies are only a year old. My first ones were starting to get to blued so I just bought new ones. Kinda anal but thats me :D unfortunatly that is the old motor. I have updated this year and everything needs polished all over again. Block / heads / manifold /oil pan / timing cover etc. Not looking forward to all that but the end result will be good. :D

DaveA
03-07-2003, 08:02 PM
If you don't want to keep polishing the water spots off, once you've polished this stuff, get it treated with ZOOP and you get to enjoy it for more than a week. The stuff lasts for months. Its $$$ but well worth it.
Zoopseal (http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/798/CategoryID/27/SubCategoryID/124)