PDA

View Full Version : Arias heads

DEL51
10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I was considering an arias head conversion. I was set back by the 12k cost. I run a blown gas carb engine in my jet. sorry guys, not runnin a v-drive,,,yet.anyhew, I could not justify the bang for the buck. I was wondering if any of the v-drive guys run them. If so, is it a viable alternative in a non race configuration. do they perform much better than a good aftermarket standard port location aluminum head? How much better than a symmetrical port cheif type head? Thanks,DEL51

EXTREMEBOATS
10-03-2006, 10:00 PM
:argue: Go with the Allen Johnson "OLDS" head. They flow beter then the hemis and are wining in BAD in NHRA. Call Doug Monroe, hes the division 1 champ and builds these beasts for a living. His #757-962-2206 est. Just my O2...
Mike :crossx:

fc-pilot
10-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Alright, I don't deal with blowers but here is my two cents. I would go with aftermarket standard layout heads. There are a number of them that work very well with a blower and if you ever have a problem finding parts is not a problem. Oddy builds standard Chevy stuff that will push 2000 ponies so I don't see that as the big factor. If you have to squeeze out every bit of performance I would go with a Big Chief style head for a blower application. It might still be easier to find parts for that than the Arias. Just me thoughts.
Paul

EXTREMEBOATS
10-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Alright, I don't deal with blowers but here is my two cents. I would go with aftermarket standard layout heads. There are a number of them that work very well with a blower and if you ever have a problem finding parts is not a problem. Oddy builds standard Chevy stuff that will push 2000 ponies so I don't see that as the big factor. If you have to squeeze out every bit of performance I would go with a Big Chief style head for a blower application. It might still be easier to find parts for that than the Arias. Just me thoughts.
Paul :cry: EASY BISCKET!!!! just a thought...Your right though, lots of options...
:yuk: Mike

fc-pilot
10-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh come on Mike. I figure it does not cost me anything since we are just bench racing. I guess the real question would be what are you planning on doing with your boat? All out race, bracket race, bracket race/lake race, lake play and race? I think those answers with determine what might be the bang for the buck as far as your application goes. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Paul

DEL51
10-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I am getting the feedback i wanted. Thankyou. Big heads/ pro stock style cost 6500.00 Will the hemis out perform them? Maybe i have started a non issue because I can only afford 5k. Current setup is iron merlin heads. They are cnc ported with 2.25/1.94 int/ex. I was looking for input from guys that run them gas or alcohol. Pullers in truck or tractor think they work. I run 11 lbs boost, but considering new stuff.

insanity
10-04-2006, 04:40 AM
It really depends on what you are looking for. If it is pure performance, there are many options better than the Arias Chevy Conversion heads (bang for the buck). They are based off of the early design. Inorder to fit on a standard Chevy block they use a third push rod on the exhaust side. The later design which became the Fontana and now Miner Bros used a unique block and better valve train geometry. The later is a very good combination with its small combustion chamber and easy to work on but it is a race only type setup (billet heads / solid block).
If it is the look or trying to be different, those old Arias wide valve covers look bitchen in a boat. Other thing to consider is the width of the heads puts the exhaust much closer to the side of the boat.

WannabeRacing
10-04-2006, 08:59 AM
I have known a lot of people that have run the Merlins with quite a bit of supercharger on alcohol. They work great. They will take a beating as well as any head I have ever run. Lots of guys run those babies on nitro & love em.
Lots of the aftermarket stuff has been spoken of above. The AJ 481 stuff is great stuff. Patterned after the original DRCE, it has great rocker and valvetrain geometry. The big chief - spread port stuff is cool too. And if you would like to go ARIAS, that is cool too. Especially the fontana. Any of these directions make changing tons of other parts in the engine. May as well start over with all different parts. But we have to know what this is for. Many of these options are not great unless this is an all out race boat. If you just want more spank for the lake or river, put a larger blower on what you have (as long as the bottom end is good) and run them merlins on alcohol. It is the least expensive way to do it.

Unchained
10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Chris,
I agree with the others about that there are probably better heads out there than the Arias heads for your application, but......there is nothing that looks as awesome as the Arias hemi heads IMO. I've seen some good deals on the old style Arias hemi heads around, The three pushrod heads.
There was a complete engine for sale a few years ago at Firebird, dissassembled but complete. Water jacketed too. I'm sure you were there that year. Ray Flores had it for sale for about $ 6,500. It was a cast iron chevy block with the Arias heads. Watch on www.racingjunk.com and they show up there every once in a while.

EXTREMEBOATS
10-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Oh come on Mike. I figure it does not cost me anything since we are just bench racing. I guess the real question would be what are you planning on doing with your boat? All out race, bracket race, bracket race/lake race, lake play and race? I think those answers with determine what might be the bang for the buck as far as your application goes. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Paul :) My limits are equal to the proportion of your wallet. :220v: :notam:
Mines empty..... :cry:
Mike