PDA

View Full Version : Plya Del Carmen

thumbs
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Has anyone ever been? Heading there next week and would like some "must do's" or "don't do's".

Magic34
10-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Nice place. They are really building it up there. We are taking our top producers there this April. It will be my first time, but we have looked into it multiple times and it seems like a great place.

whiteworks
10-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I have traveled the yucatan extensivly and lets just say the further south you get from cancun the better it gets. Playa Del Carmen is my favorite place to stay for a while after about a week there you kind of get in tune. I hope you dont mind naked Europen chicks. during different times of the year the woman are different flavors. I have been there when it was all Italians also been there when it was Swedes. the germans were pretty fun as well.The average travelers pass through in a few days so it is always new faces. during different times of the day the town has a differnt life all of its own. wake up early and walk down to the bakery "HOT" get some breakfest and fresh breads. go to "NOODLES" and and get some swedish soups and maybe a tattoo. There is a bunch of cool people from all over the world that call this expatriot town there home. watch out for the Barkers trying to suck you in to the restraunts there nice but they make a few bucks off you on the backside of your meal. walk north from the pier on the beach and stop at each palapa and have a drink "MICHILADA" kind of a bloody beer concoction. by the time you get up to the point you will be good and drunk the point is past the 5star hotel last palapa you can see when you get there asks the bartender what time your flight leaves and enjoy the day. bring your golf clubs they have a bitchen course that go's through the jungle. the further you go north in town the lower the prices get. when you see a ship moored expect the prices to be higher closeset to the pier. as you head north the prices will get lower. when the ship leaves all the prices are the same again. go down town when the boats come in with fresh troops to play with. the cruise shp people can only spread out so far in the time they have it is kind of funny once you get in sync with the town. I recomend staying at least 2 weeks. do day trips "TULUM" "Cozumel" do not take valuable items with you on the beach there are bandits that will jack you on your way up to the point. not really a big deal just dont look like a target. if you have time head down to Belize. the further south of cancun you get the better it gets. you are in for a great time. Its been a while since my last venture there it is the fastest growing town in mexico so it is going to be different from when I was there heard it got hit by a huricane a while ago but they can build those palpas pretty fast so Im sure it will be good.

copterzach
10-04-2006, 02:37 AM
we have been a few times. whiteworks is right on about everything. i personally prefer cabo or Belize better. we are going to La Paz this Dec. Never been, so I hope it worth the trip, but anywhere beats working! :)

thumbs
10-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we are going to have a good time. We have planned on the Tulum trip and a few others.
As for the naked European chicks..... I think I'll be OK with that....lol

LaveyOne
10-04-2006, 08:22 AM
I have traveled the yucatan extensivly and lets just say the further south you get from cancun the better it gets. Playa Del Carmen is my favorite place to stay for a while after about a week there you kind of get in tune. I hope you dont mind naked Europen chicks. during different times of the year the woman are different flavors. I have been there when it was all Italians also been there when it was Swedes. the germans were pretty fun as well.The average travelers pass through in a few days so it is always new faces. during different times of the day the town has a differnt life all of its own. wake up early and walk down to the bakery "HOT" get some breakfest and fresh breads. go to "NOODLES" and and get some swedish soups and maybe a tattoo. There is a bunch of cool people from all over the world that call this expatriot town there home. watch out for the Barkers trying to suck you in to the restraunts there nice but they make a few bucks off you on the backside of your meal. walk north from the pier on the beach and stop at each palapa and have a drink "MICHILADA" kind of a bloody beer concoction. by the time you get up to the point you will be good and drunk the point is past the 5star hotel last palapa you can see when you get there asks the bartender what time your flight leaves and enjoy the day. bring your golf clubs they have a bitchen course that go's through the jungle. the further you go north in town the lower the prices get. when you see a ship moored expect the prices to be higher closeset to the pier. as you head north the prices will get lower. when the ship leaves all the prices are the same again. go down town when the boats come in with fresh troops to play with. the cruise shp people can only spread out so far in the time they have it is kind of funny once you get in sync with the town. I recomend staying at least 2 weeks. do day trips "TULUM" "Cozumel" do not take valuable items with you on the beach there are bandits that will jack you on your way up to the point. not really a big deal just dont look like a target. if you have time head down to Belize. the further south of cancun you get the better it gets. you are in for a great time. Its been a while since my last venture there it is the fastest growing town in mexico so it is going to be different from when I was there heard it got hit by a huricane a while ago but they can build those palpas pretty fast so Im sure it will be good.
Could you be more specific ??? ;) :D
Yes, definitely take the ferry over to Cozumel for the day. If you are a diver, then it is AWESOME !!! Have fun!

superdave013
10-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we are going to have a good time. We have planned on the Tulum trip and a few others.
As for the naked European chicks..... I think I'll be OK with that....lol
You will like Tulum for sure. I agree with whiteworks. We stay farther south when we go. But Plya Del Carmen is a cool place too.

spectratoad
10-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Went there for our honeymoon. AWESOME!!!!! Can't wait to go back. Took one of the day trips to go snorkel in some of the cenote's (fresh water pools inland) awesome. Like swimming in a fish tank. They had some underwater caves we did too.
Took the ferry over to Cozumel and rented a moped and cruised the island. Our next trip though is down to Belize. Talked to some locals and they said it is great down there.

AZKC
10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Take insulated cups and Koozies to keep your drinks cold. Imodium (s/p). Take a Pepto tablet like a vitamin everyday. Lots of 1 and 5 dollar bills. Let your camera adjust to the humidity after being in ac very long (the lens will fog up). Run through the airport to your ride talk to no one :crossx:
There are a bunch of good Forums on the area, that are almost as drama free as ***boat.

thumbs
10-04-2006, 11:00 AM
We are going for our honeymon as well. I wanted to do Belieze but we decided on Plya because they seem to have better accommodations. Beliez will be our next adventure trip.

thumbs
10-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Take insulated cups and Koozies to keep your drinks cold. Imodium (s/p). Take a Pepto tablet like a vitamin everyday. Lots of 1 and 5 dollar bills. Let your camera adjust to the humidity after being in ac very long (the lens will fog up). Run through the airport to your ride talk to no one :crossx:
There are a bunch of good Forums on the area, that are almost as drama free as ***boat.
Do you have a link to these forums?

AZKC
10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I'll see if I kind find them haven't been on them in a few years, we built a huge list of "must have things to take" back in the day. There are people on them that go down there as much as some people go to Havasu :rollside:

AZKC
10-04-2006, 11:12 AM
This isn't the list but lots of good info
check list (http://www.cancun.bz/vacation_check_list.htm)
BRB

thumbs
10-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks!

AZKC
10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
This is one of the better websites IMO iused it alot and they have added a Blog I see.
Riveria MayaMain Page (http://www.cancunandrivieramaya.com/)
The forum is in the "Vacationing Here" section, they change the format to that threaded set up I never have liked that. I'm pretty sure they have a Search engine built into it also.

AZKC
10-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Here's one thats set up like ***boat for Playa de Carmen.
Playa de Carmen Forum (http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/)

AZKC
10-04-2006, 11:34 AM
I think this is a must have, a map.
Buy a Map (http://www.cancunmap.com/)
Website also has a lot of info.
There that will keep you busy :crossx:

AZKC
10-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Link to Links (http://www.mapchick.com/links.html)
What the hell one more :)

thumbs
10-04-2006, 01:31 PM
good links and info. Thanks again!

Captain Dan
10-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Well - how was it? Where did you stay? I'm planning a trip to PDC for early next year as well.

Riverbums1
10-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Its an awesome place...............lots of shopping and not all the thugs of Cancun............great great beach area..............

All IN
10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Let me know how ypu like it. I'm going to the Fairmont next month.
Can't wait to go.

thumbs
10-18-2006, 12:38 PM
We stayed at the Playacar Palace.
http://www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/PlayacarPalace/Index.asp
My trip was awesome. Thanks for asking. I'll post some pics and a short report in the next day or two.

Ducatista
10-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Dive or snorkel at Cozumel, it has the worlds second largest coral reef. There is a section called Palencar reef that has 3 tunnels through the reef that end about 100 ft down...really a trip if you dive. Have fun!