PDA

View Full Version : will genVI heads fit on a gen V block

502procharger
02-07-2003, 09:09 PM
i was wondering if a set of 500hp gen VI heads will fit on a Gen V block. any info would be great.

gnarley
02-09-2003, 10:42 AM
To the best of my knowledge just about everything gen 5 or 6 will interchange except for the timing cover I think.

DogHouse
02-09-2003, 05:57 PM
I think so with the right gasket, but I've never tried so I can't say for sure. Check here (http://www.martelbros.com/cgi-bin/store/ws400CS.cgi?store=FEL&category=felpro/18.htm&cart_id=1030209075023781&page=felpro/felpro.htm) for some info from Felpro.
-brian

ssmike
02-11-2003, 12:30 PM
The answer is "yes and no." The problem is that the water jackets are shaped differently and may leak.
I know that Felpro is supposed to make a gasket that matches the two different shapes.
I have heard from some motor builders that it does not work while others claim that it works fine.....
ssmike
[ February 11, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: ssmike ]

gnarley
02-11-2003, 12:52 PM
ssmike:
The answer is "yes and no." The problem is that the water jackets are shaped differently and may leak.ssmike, can you post info on that? As far as I know MK 5 & 6 BBC's are essentially the same with the difference in cams & timing cover. If I am incorrect I would like to see what the difference is. If you are referring to differences between MK 4 & 5-6 yeah they are definitely different. Please correct me if I am wrong.

jstwkd
02-11-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm running a set of edelbroke 6045 heads on a gen 6 502.With the correct head gasket.I am also under the impression that gen5 and 6 are the same except for the timing cover.I put a gen 4 head gasket up to a gen 6 head and can see nothing that would keep this from working.But on the other hand I also herd that it wont work??????????

ssmike
02-11-2003, 01:41 PM
gnarley:
ssmike:
The answer is "yes and no." The problem is that the water jackets are shaped differently and may leak.ssmike, can you post info on that? As far as I know MK 5 & 6 BBC's are essentially the same with the difference in cams & timing cover. If I am incorrect I would like to see what the difference is. If you are referring to differences between MK 4 & 5-6 yeah they are definitely different. Please correct me if I am wrong. CRAP CRAP CRAP...I misread the post....I thought you were trying to use Mark IV with the Gen V....As far as I was told, the Gen V and Gen VI are compatible...
Sorry about that.