PDA

View Full Version : Chevy warranty work!!

EmpirE231
10-04-2006, 04:16 PM
took my truck in for service (05 durumax 18000 miles) ... had an oil leak coming from the front transfer case ... and couple other minor problems (windoes etc) ! truck stays over night ...day and a half... I had to call the service dept the 1st night to find out I wasnt getting my truck that night.... no updates.. said they were working on the oil leak. I call today around 3... and "ohh hey yeah its done" .. so I send someone to pick it up.... get the call from myt brother that they didnt even fix the oil leak :mad: ... call the guy... he claims it's caused by my lift!! 6" cst lift...
here's the catch... the leak is from the center of the casing of the transfer case... he spouts some BS that the lift cause some angles in the front drive shaft and the axles.... which caused the PRESSURE ....which caused the leak??? WTF?? I can undrstand if the leak came from the axles ... or maybe the driveshaft .. but no from the center of the case!! .... and the funny thing is I had the truck in for a leak from the same spot @ 4000 miles when it was stock!!
what can I do? any chevy service people on here? any help? this should be covered under warranty!! help me out.....!!

EmpirE231
10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
sorry for the spelling .. was in a rush :220v:

Nord
10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I do know that a lift voids a lot of warrantys!!!

Kachina26
10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I do know that a lift voids a lot of warrantys!!!
Nope!

plaster dave
10-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I would call a dealer that does lifts to their trucks they sell, like Rydell uses the RCD and CST lifts in thier "RPD" Rydell Performence Division. I would also tell them this was a problem back at 4000 miles assholes. :220v:

eek-a-RAT
10-04-2006, 06:53 PM
isnt there a lemon law in there somewhere? 3 times for same prob in x amount of miles or time frame.

98 Vector 21
10-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Nope!
Yep! for a fact...A simple tire size change can become a problem...

JAY4SPEED
10-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Is this the same dealer that you purchased the truck from or have had a history of buying vehicles from that particular dealership? Does you company buy their vehicles from that dealership? If so ask to speak to the service manager and see if he'll help you out. Let him know that you are and have been a repeat buyer from that dealership and see if he can do anything for you. I know at my shop the service manager turns a blind eye to things like that if he knows you go there for all your service and sales.
If not, try another dealer. Its a judgement call for the dealership. GM is the one that makes the rules and can deny paying the dealership the warranty claim if they find out you have aftermarket equipment on the truck relating to the complaint. So, the dealer takes the chance and repairs it, the dealer can be left holding the bag if GM denies the claim. So your best approach is to be nice, if the dealer decided to take the chance on GM not calling for the defective part to be sent back and no warranty adjuster is dispatched out and fix your truck. They are taking a chance at a substancial loss and scrutiny of GM inspecting every warranty claim after that if they know they have been defrauded. GM calls it an "audit" to the dealer. If you go in like they owe it to you, chances are they'll tell you to hit the door. So your better of not pounding on the service managers desk about it.
Jay

VanDeano
10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Yep! for a fact...A simple tire size change can become a problem...
Ain't that the truth!

Kachina26
10-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Yep! for a fact...A simple tire size change can become a problem...But does not void the vehicle's warranty, I've heard some dealers tell customers that they wouldn't cover a window motor issue due to vehicle mods which had nothing to do with the windows. Trust me, if I could get out of doing it for warranty time, I did. But, legitimately.
If this guy were to get customer service involved, they would most likely make the dealer attempt to repair the leak. Been there, done that, was pissed the whole time because I knew the mods caused the problem :mad: :mad: The manufacturer usually does it's best to keep this kind of stuff out of court as it is a little difficult to prove that a particular mod caused a certain problem. Especially problems that are not isolated to vehicles that have been modified. Like this transfer case leaking from the middle. I've seen the tranny guy do a few reseals to say the least.

Wally_Gator
10-05-2006, 07:11 AM
took my truck in for service (05 durumax 18000 miles) ... had an oil leak coming from the front transfer case ... and couple other minor problems (windoes etc) ! truck stays over night ...day and a half... I had to call the service dept the 1st night to find out I wasnt getting my truck that night.... no updates.. said they were working on the oil leak. I call today around 3... and "ohh hey yeah its done" .. so I send someone to pick it up.... get the call from myt brother that they didnt even fix the oil leak :mad: ... call the guy... he claims it's caused by my lift!! 6" cst lift...
here's the catch... the leak is from the center of the casing of the transfer case... he spouts some BS that the lift cause some angles in the front drive shaft and the axles.... which caused the PRESSURE ....which caused the leak??? WTF?? I can undrstand if the leak came from the axles ... or maybe the driveshaft .. but no from the center of the case!! .... and the funny thing is I had the truck in for a leak from the same spot @ 4000 miles when it was stock!!
what can I do? any chevy service people on here? any help? this should be covered under warranty!! help me out.....!!
Was this leak fixed at the 4k service?
Was it noted at the 4k service?
If it is yes to both you have ammo to talk nicely with the service department.
However, think of this. It is not the service writer that is usually saying it is the lift kit. It is the tech that receives the work order. In my dealings, I have had LAZY techs that do not want to do a job. They give some BS like Cannot duplicate or aftermarket parts void warranty.
Be careful here. You can get a warranty block on that part if you push and piss them off.
Be careful with the front diff. If a lazy tech gets ahold of it and tears it down to re-seal it, they can introduce more problems.
If I did not have a brother that worked as a Service Manager, I would have had a junk front Diff after about 10k... The tech did not set the pinion depth properly.

EmpirE231
10-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah this dealership also sells new trucks already lifted.... I wouldnt be surprised if one on the lot had the same lift!! I was pretty nice with them.. I didnt get bad at all.... just irritated with them! I know the problem is not caused by the lift!! or else the thousands of trucks out there with cst kits would all be leaking!! ... and pressure?? if there was that much "pressure" built up... oil would squirt out of the axles brefore it broke the main seal of the transfer case!!
anywho... should be taking it to another dealership that a buddy used to work at... where it was originally checked back when it was stock!! I bought the truck @ selman chevrolet through jay.... awesome deal by the way... but OC is a lil far to make the trip for service.... unless jay can hook it up with the warranty issues :)
the other things that get to me was how long they kept it... almost 2 days!! the service writer never called me for updates... I called them!! at the end of the day! oil was changed.... and they didnt even reset the oil reminder percentage thing ??? just completely unsatisfied with the dealership! ohh the delaer is dutton GMC by the way ... here in riverside!! used to take my old gmc in to them for everything!! pricks

Wyoming
10-05-2006, 10:52 AM
You need to find a dealer that puts lift kits on their trucks before they sell them. I have run into the same problem with my 2005 Chevrolet truck with a 6" lift. I have to take it 100 miles away but have no problems with warrenty work. My local dealer will not even work on it.

Chromegorilla
10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
A lift doesn't necessarily void your warranty. I have a friend that bought a lifted Avalanche from the dealer brand new. It also had largers wheels and tires. truck came with full warranty......