PDA

View Full Version : Prop care

Timer
06-21-2003, 02:11 PM
My steel prop always has a layer of rust on it. I assume that's normal, but is there something I should be doing to prevent this? If so, why and what? Thanks.

Hud
06-21-2003, 03:58 PM
I spray wd40 on my prop when I take it out of the water!! idea It works. :D

Timer
06-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Hud. I guess after the prop looks like mine does, I should take it off and do what to clean it up? Is there some kind of bead polishing or something like that that will spiff it up real nice?

Sangster
06-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Use Cleanser & water with a scrub pad...I found that "Bar Keepers Friend" works best..

Morg
06-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Bentley turned me onto some stuff a few years ago. Spray it on before & after the boat hits the water. A little steel wool at the end of the day & the prop. stays real clean. Being that I haven't run a boat in over a year I forgot what the stuff is. I'm sure Tom could turn you onto it.
Morg.

Timer
06-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone (and any more that might come.)
[ June 21, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Timer ]

V-Drive Tom
06-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Timer, The product that Morg is trying to think of is "FLUID FILM." It is a heavier oil film spray than others. Works great. I don't know where to buy it. I was given a few cases by JetBoatGuru "TONY" a few years back, he was sponsored by them.
We have a new coating for propellers that was tested all last year.
Does not change balance.
Not thick.
Leaves satin silver finish.
The cost is about $95.00
Super tough.
But just keeping it clean works great and does'nt cost much!! :p wink TOM..

GofastRacer
06-21-2003, 08:00 PM
I used to use WD40 but I found out that "Liquid Wrench" "Super Lubricant" works even better, I spray the shit out of it as soon as I come out of the water while it's wet and it just washes the water off and leaves a film on it and won't run off!... :cool: