PDA

View Full Version : steering ?

flatrookie
10-04-2006, 10:12 PM
my boat is a 74 eliminator steering has to be off to the the to try to make it go straight I have counted the turns in the steering wheel rotation 1 1/4 each way so it seems the wheel is not off it has cables to adjust on some sort of cam in the rear how do you tell if the cables need to be adjust or if the rudder is poss bent looks straight or something in the hull its self ?

CircleJerk
10-04-2006, 11:20 PM
I assume you mean to the right. Please explain better. Is it a left rotating prop, driven off the flywheel?

flatrookie
10-05-2006, 05:54 AM
the wheel has to go off to the left to make the boat go straight

GofastRacer
10-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Sounds like loose cables, go to the back and grab the cable that goes across to the single pulley, now pull up on that cable if the quadrant moves ther'e too loose!..
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18404

flatrookie
10-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Sounds like loose cables, go to the back and grab the cable that goes across to the single pulley, now pull up on that cable if the quadrant moves ther'e too loose!..
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18404
thnx for the info mine has twao seperate cables one from each side but yes they are loose how do I adjust them ?

GofastRacer
10-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Depends on what you have, either the back pulleys have a tentioner bolt or you have turnbuckles up front by the sprocket????.

flatrookie
10-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Depends on what you have, either the back pulleys have a tentioner bolt or you have turnbuckles up front by the sprocket????.
behind the wheel it has an enclosed case with 2 cables coming out that run both sides of the boat and in the back is just like what you show in the pic with out the cable cross over. on each stringer it has a hole where the cable runs through to the cam lookin dumaflatchy thingy

HONDOG
10-06-2006, 12:07 AM
My son-inlaw has a '71 Di Marco flat with the same steering that you are discribing. we had threaded adjusting sleeves made for both sides where cables go through the stringer. uses a flat washer and nut to adjust, worked great, keeps the cables nice and tight.

BA Kurtis
10-06-2006, 04:02 AM
You have calgo steering, there is a tention adjustment plate on each stringer were the cables go thru just back off the lock nut and turn counter clockwise until tight.

flatrookie
10-06-2006, 05:24 AM
hey thanx a lot guys for all of your help and info it helps me out a lot :rollside:

BA Kurtis
10-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Your welcome :D