PDA

View Full Version : So I am driving down the freeway.

dmontzsta
10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
And a huge sheet of wood comes crashing down on me, shattering my window, scrapping up my hood, bending my antenna, scuffing my headlight and the top pillar on my door. What a great day...****ing people need to learn how to tie their shit down! Now do I go through insurance? pay the deductible, and have my insurance go up? or just bend over with no lubrication and fix it all myself?
****ing gay!

LAFD
10-05-2006, 09:15 AM
why would your insurance go up it wasnt your fault. and would the cost of fixing it match or be higher than your deductable.

Jyruiz
10-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I would go thru the insurance, it is not a sure thing that your rates will go up because of this incident.

Throttle
10-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I think I may go through the insurance company ( I dunno for sure but, outta pocket $ could be pricey from the sounds of it). good luck... glad you are ok.

SPUDWIG
10-05-2006, 09:25 AM
That is why you pay insurance. I had a claim with mercury and never had a increase

dmontzsta
10-05-2006, 09:26 AM
I was driving down the freeway with the phone ready, but everyone's stuff looked secured to their truck or trailer. It happened so fast, I was doing 75mph and I look right to see an SUV smash in to it and then the big piece fly into the air, I couldnt go left or right, cause there was people on both sides, it happened too fast, I just had to take it.

VanDeano
10-05-2006, 09:43 AM
And a huge sheet of wood comes crashing down on me, shattering my window, scrapping up my hood, bending my antenna, scuffing my headlight and the top pillar on my door. What a great day...****ing people need to learn how to tie their shit down! Now do I go through insurance? pay the deductible, and have my insurance go up? or just bend over with no lubrication and fix it all myself?
****ing gay!
Dude, you owe me for a new piece of plywood. :crossx:

OGShocker
10-05-2006, 09:44 AM
That SUX!!!
Back when I rode street bikes a 4x8 sheet of ply, came off the back of a tree trimmers truck. The giant frisbee missed taking off my head by INCHES. Some people just don't think.
Good luck,
OGS

v-drive
10-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Same thing happened to me when i owned my mustang. The term the insurance company used was "no fault". I don.t think you have a problem.
My son was driving down the freeway when a piece of sheetmetal came off a truck. It didn't break the windshield dut broke the drivers side rearview mirror. His face was cut badly but when I went to pick up his truck I found that his sunglasses had been knocked off of his face by a piece of glass that would have taken out his eye had he not been wearing them.
count yourself lucky Donald......v-drive

RitcheyRch
10-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Had the same thing happen to me on my way home from work about a month. My insurance company asked if the wood hit the ground first. If it falls off the back of a truck and hits the ground first than they basically say you hit the wood and it goes under collision insurance and your insurance premium goes up. If it falls off the back of the truck and hits your vehicle first than it goes under comprehensive insurance and you only pay deductible and your insurance premium doesnt go up.
So, the moral of this story is that you tell them it didnt hit the ground first.

Cole Trickle
10-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Had the same thing happen to me on my way home from work about a month. My insurance company asked if the wood hit the ground first. If it falls off the back of a truck and hits the ground first than they basically say you hit the wood and it goes under collision insurance and your insurance premium goes up. If it falls off the back of the truck and hits your vehicle first than it goes under comprehensive insurance and you only pay deductible and your insurance premium doesnt go up.
So, the moral of this story is that you tell them it didnt hit the ground first.
True Story;)
It flew off the truck and hit your car before hitting the ground. :)
when people run over ladders on the freeway this is typically an at fault accident.

RitcheyRch
10-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Just glad didnt do much damage and thankfully the insurance paid for everything plus a rental car.
True Story;)
It flew off the truck and hit your car before hitting the ground. :)
when people run over ladders on the freeway this is typically an at fault accident.

spectratoad
10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
I would file a police report and then take it to your insurance. I doubt your rates will rise.

lucky
10-05-2006, 12:10 PM
I just had to take it.
man - I hope this makes you smile - that sucks Donald -

dmontzsta
10-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Safelite is coming out to install a new windshield $170 out the door w/ tax, this is for the original pony windshield and lifetime warranty. My buddy has an 04 GT hood same color as mine, he is switching to a carbon fiber saleen hood, I should be able to get his for $200, so I am almost fixed up for less than the deductible. Just need to buff my door out and get some headlights (sucks cause these are new). It doesnt seem so bad afterall, but still a shitty feeling!

4DAY4PLAY
10-05-2006, 12:32 PM
exact same thing happened to me 10 years ago, but i didnt know about telling them it hit my truck BEFORE the ground....i got screwed in the end with a higher premium.

DILLIGAF
10-05-2006, 01:05 PM
A Clipper fan probably saw your Laker sticker and threw it at you...
JK Don. That sucks

blown dough
10-05-2006, 02:30 PM
****ing gay!
We own a collision shop in Palmdale, that would be considered comp not collision so it will not effect your rates. Go to a body shop and get a quote first and if its within your budget just pay out of pocket. Rule of thumb turn it in if its triple your deductbile. If your deductible is $500.00 dont turn it in for $1000.00 repair. You can PM me if you have more questions.

VanDeano
10-05-2006, 03:31 PM
****ing gay!
:crossx:

Biglue
10-05-2006, 03:49 PM
****ing gay!
Awwww NO!!! NOT THE MAXIMA. :crossx: :)
or just bend over with no lubrication and fix it all myself?
I think it's pretty clear what you're gonna do. :D
Sorry to hear about that Don. Sucks bro, but looks like you have some sound advice to go on. Good luck.

dmontzsta
10-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Awwww NO!!! NOT THE MAXIMA. :crossx: :)
I think it's pretty clear what you're gonna do. :D
Sorry to hear about that Don. Sucks bro, but looks like you have some sound advice to go on. Good luck.
It was not my Maxima, I dont drive them much anymore. It was my Mustang. :( Which is in like new condition, not anymore...

Biglue
10-05-2006, 03:54 PM
It was not my Maxima, I dont drive them much anymore. It was my Mustang. :( Which is in like new condition, not anymore...
That sucks bro. Dude, you've had some seriously shitty luck with your vehicles lately huh?

dmontzsta
10-05-2006, 04:07 PM
That sucks bro. Dude, you've had some seriously shitty luck with your vehicles lately huh?
yeah, tell me about it... :(
It is one set back after another.

OCMerrill
10-05-2006, 04:30 PM
It's pretty much been said but the main deal is the object you hit was moving across your path and it was not safely unavoidable.
I have been through this very thing. My rates did not go up. I did not file a police report. Ins. co. did not require one for this time anyway. There is a time table ins. co. goes by for it happening again. Just avoid all roads and freeways for the next couple of years.
Key word is "moving" not standing still. Standing still will make it an at fault accident.
My wife spent 10 years in the Auto Ins. as an assistant claims adjuster, and they could also ask you the story several different times to look for inconsistency. FYI.

dmontzsta
10-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Come get your piece of wood, I will PM you my address.

WUTWZAT
10-05-2006, 05:32 PM
I was driving down the freeway with the phone ready, but everyone's stuff looked secured to their truck or trailer. It happened so fast, I was doing 75mph and I look right to see an SUV smash in to it and then the big piece fly into the air, I couldnt go left or right, cause there was people on both sides, it happened too fast, I just had to take it.
Glad to hear your ok. Your insureance should not go up because of something like this. Thats why you have insurenace is to use it, not just be legal. If your car is financed thats why they make you get full coverage so their investment in you is covered.
Jason