PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Living!!!!!!!!!!!

Not So Fast
10-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Wife just got back from Smiths for the weekly shopping and as I unload about 6 or 7 sacks and a couple of gallons of milk and some 12 paks of soda in two trips (normally it takes about 4 or so trips) I said it was hardly worth driving up there. We usually try to spend the required $90 to get the $.15 of a gallon of gas. She says dont worry it was over $100 :eek: I'm amazed at the cost of food, it is simply incredible to me. It is just the two of us unless the kids come over; and we eat a lot of chicken and things like that, not steak every nite, plus we eat out about 3-4 times a week. I remember that when our kids were living at home (3 boys) we would go thru a dozen gallons of milk a week.
How the young families with your normal 2.3 children cope with todays cost of living is beyond me!!!!!!!! Oh yeah I forgot about the trip to Sams Club about every two months and that one usually goes for between $300-$500. NSF

Sleek-Jet
10-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Chicken is more expensive than steak most of the time... it boggles the mind really... :rolleyes:

Mandelon
10-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Milk..........more $$ than gas.

Jyruiz
10-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Wife just got back from Smiths for the weekly shopping and as I unload about 6 or 7 sacks and a couple of gallons of milk and some 12 paks of soda in two trips (normally it takes about 4 or so trips) I said it was hardly worth driving up there. We usually try to spend the required $90 to get the $.15 of a gallon of gas. She says dont worry it was over $100 :eek: I'm amazed at the cost of food, it is simply incredible to me. It is just the two of us unless the kids come over; and we eat a lot of chicken and things like that, not steak every nite, plus we eat out about 3-4 times a week. I remember that when our kids were living at home (3 boys) we would go thru a dozen gallons of milk a week.
How the young families with your normal 2.3 children cope with todays cost of living is beyond me!!!!!!!! Oh yeah I forgot about the trip to Sams Club about every two months and that one usually goes for between $300-$500. NSF
I need to come over your place with my 3 kids so you can see how we cope. :D

Throttle
10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
call me when everything is put away... I am tired of soup and pb &j.

Not So Fast
10-05-2006, 10:05 AM
call me when everything is put away... I am tired of soup and pb &j.
Took about 10 minutes to store ALL of it away, and that was NO 30 PAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( NSF

Flyinbowtie
10-05-2006, 11:27 AM
It is amazing what happened to the grocery bill when the boys got out on there own, Chris is in Reno and justin doesn't get home until 9 at night. It is practically non-existent when compared to those days.
There was time, back when Chis was in his junior and senior years, that we were dropping $750-1000 a month at the grocery store.
Between our boys and about 4-5 of their friends, a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread per day was the norm. Giant tub of peanut butter was good for a week, maybe. Both mine ate their cereal out of large cool-whip tubs. Cereal for breakfast, and again right before bed. Cindy felt like she was doing well if she only had one grocery cart at the check-out counter.
At the time I was hoping they would put cheerios in a 25lb. bag, and then we could rig up a dispenser deal in the laundry room next to the dog food.
Those boys could flat eat. And they did. It was not unusual for me to come home from work and pass three or four trucks parked along our driveway before getting up to my parking spot, which they always saved. Garage lights on, radio blaring, tools everywhere, and somebodies rig torn apart, and greasy smiling faces pounding down burgers off the BBQ.
They always put everything away and cleaned up, tho.
I don't miss the grocery bills, but I miss those days.

Zaairman
10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
It is amazing what happened to the grocery bill when the boys got out on there own, Chris is in Reno and justin doesn't get home until 9 at night. It is practically non-existent when compared to those days.
There was time, back when Chis was in his junior and senior years, that we were dropping $750-1000 a month at the grocery store.
Between our boys and about 4-5 of their friends, a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread per day was the norm. Giant tub of peanut butter was good for a week, maybe. Both mine ate their cereal out of large cool-whip tubs. Cereal for breakfast, and again right before bed. Cindy felt like she was doing well if she only had one grocery cart at the check-out counter.
At the time I was hoping they would put cheerios in a 25lb. bag, and then we could rig up a dispenser deal in the laundry room next to the dog food.
Those boys could flat eat. And they did. It was not unusual for me to come home from work and pass three or four trucks parked along our driveway before getting up to my parking spot, which they always saved. Garage lights on, radio blaring, tools everywhere, and somebodies rig torn apart, and greasy smiling faces pounding down burgers off the BBQ.
They always put everything away and cleaned up, tho.
I don't miss the grocery bills, but I miss those days.
Sounds like my house..I'm the oldest of FIVE boys.

Warlockjer
10-05-2006, 12:17 PM
So anyhow Bobby, Whats for dinner??????? :) :)

Desert Rat
10-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Those of us with kids at home must settle for less boat then we really want... The sacrfices in life we must make for the sake of our children :rolleyes:

Not So Fast
10-05-2006, 04:04 PM
So anyhow Bobby, Whats for dinner??????? :) :)
Ribeyes, Jerry. Opps, :D we do eat steak once in a while. NSF

Trailer Park Casanova
10-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I remember standing in the grocery line looking into my cart and figuring it was about a buck an item on average.
Wadaya think the cost is today - per item average?

HYPNAUTIC
10-05-2006, 05:09 PM
we usually have to buy 6 gallons of milk a week (costco only $3.29 or vons $3.59) you get two for that price. not too bad considering... but, i know its going to get worse. my daughter is almost 5 and the twins are 14 months. when those two little bastards (i mean that in a loving caring fatherly way) really start drinking i'll be buying 2 gallons a day.

SummitKarl
10-05-2006, 05:24 PM
WELCOME TO HAVASU....Bobby :rolleyes:
Thats just the way it is here and always has been, Housing, taxes and utils were CHEAP...WAY CHEAP!!!! 5yrs ago...even more so when I bought my home 11yrs ago...but the one thing that REALLY!!!!! stood out when I moved here was the cost of food and how much more it was than San Diego, heck just the darn Dog food was 50% more, for the most part I live on grocery's and don't go out, still I am around $250 a month for one person and one dog,
but it beats fast food at about $20 a day.
Smiths is good for value, so is food city, the big trick I found is at the Safeway, shop on Saturdays..why? they jack up the price (esp. on meat) for the weekends but lower the price if your a club member :rolleyes:
Funny the Safeway just starting giving 10% off on gas over $100, so very smart alic like I asked..ok WHERE THE ARE THE PUMPS :rolleyes:

dragboat
10-05-2006, 05:33 PM
We push two carts out to the truck a week $270-$285

MBlaster
10-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Those of us with kids at home must settle for less boat then we really want... The sacrfices in life we must make for the sake of our children :rolleyes:
Quoted for truth.

Angry Inch
10-05-2006, 05:40 PM
CPI is up 4.6% this year to date....

Not So Fast
10-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Thats just the way it is here and always has been, Housing, taxes and utils were CHEAP...WAY CHEAP!!!! 5yrs ago...even more so when I bought my home 11yrs ago...but the one thing that REALLY!!!!! stood out when I moved here was the cost of food and how much more it was than San Diego, heck just the darn Dog food was 50% more, for the most part I live on grocery's and don't go out, still I am around $250 a month for one person and one dog,
Smiths is good for value, so is food city, the big trick I found is at the Safeway, shop on Saturdays..why? they jack up the price (esp. on meat) for the weekends but lower the price if your a club member :rolleyes:
Funny the Safeway just starting giving 10% off on gas over $100, so very smart alic like I asked..ok WHERE THE ARE THE PUMPS :rolleyes:
I hear you loud and clear Karl, but in reality the prices have gone up markedly since gas became a luxury. NSF

HammerDown
10-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Chicken is more expensive than steak most of the time... it boggles the mind really... :rolleyes:
Not in my neck of the Country...not even close.

socalmoney
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
MILK? That stuff is expensive. I have my kids trained to drink water. I tell them to drink as much as you want when your in the shower.

riverroyal
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
try 11k a year in prop taxes here in your old hood,Id pay a extra 1$ a gallon for milk to cut that by 75%....how are you by the way?

HammerDown
10-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Milk..........more $$ than gas.
True but when was the last time ya bought 20 gallons of milk at once.
One gal of milk will easly last a week in my home.
One gal of gas...about 15 miles :notam:

SummitKarl
10-05-2006, 06:14 PM
try 11k a year in prop taxes here in your old hood,Id pay a extra 1$ a gallon for milk to cut that by 75%....how are you by the way?
I am good, and ready to launch at Catail Sat morning :) , want meet up in the secret cove.. before heading north
oh the old hood ...the property tax was $5600 on the old house for a 1990 $290k purchase, I bet the people that own it now at 1.1mill :rolleyes: paying tripple that