PDA

View Full Version : procharged steve morris motors for real?

badbug
10-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Was looking at the steve morris racing engines site and the horsepower numbers they get out of non intercooled procharger motors is unreal. Do the prochargers really work this well ? If they do, then why doesnt everyone have one on their boats? Im in the market for some sort of boosting power adder for my boat but hate to buy into this procharger deal and get burned. DOES anyone know for a fact they work as well as they claim with a blow thru carburetor. Their claiming 1600 horsepower at 6100 rpm with 93 octane with intercooler and 1600 hp on 114 octane without intercooler. With a850 holley carburetor?

Unchained
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I know what you mean Gary. It seems over the top to me too.
He's a local guy here in Mi.
Call him up and have him send you a dyno sheet.
If I had some spare time I could go over there and video a dyno pull.
I've seen some of those real large prochargers for sale on www.racingjuck.com

blownzoom440
10-05-2006, 02:38 PM
1 motor pic on the web site belongs to RON.C from speedtalk.com so maybe post a question there and he may chime in.he also visits dragraceresults.com
i cant speek much on the subject but know some cars putting out 850hp/450cu,in+/-,14lbs non IC.running pump gas would depend a lot on the build,cam design.
good luck!i hope i was of some help.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/bigblock/0608em_Procharged_440_Mopar_Engine/

502 JET
10-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I dont know if those numbers are real. I was hoping for a 1000 hp when I started my engine build.
I have a 509 cid Vortech V4J blown BBC. It has a solid roller cam Brodix BB2X heads. A tunnel ram with two 450 Holleys in a carb box. Non inter cooled on 93 octane pump gas it has dynoed 762 hp at 5500 rpm at 5 psi. There is a lot more left in it. After 5500 the supercharger belt starts to slip (10 rib serpentine). Once we can get the belt slip corrected we can finish tuning the engine. My engine builder claims that with an inter cooler the engine will make 60 + more horse power.

DMOORE
10-05-2006, 05:51 PM
I dont know if those numbers are real. I was hoping for a 1000 hp when I started my engine build.
I have a 509 cid Vortech V4J blown BBC. It has a solid roller cam Brodix BB2X heads. A tunnel ram with two 450 Holleys in a carb box. Non inter cooled on 93 octane pump gas it has dynoed 762 hp at 5500 rpm at 5 psi. There is a lot more left in it. After 5500 the supercharger belt starts to slip (10 rib serpentine). Once we can get the belt slip corrected we can finish tuning the engine. My engine builder claims that with an inter cooler the engine will make 60 + more horse power.
I think 60hp might be on the low side of power gains you should see after installing an intercooler. I know the mustang guys that run intercoolers say it's the only way to go. 800 plus should do you REAL nice.
Darrell.

badbug
10-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I had a 496 last year that made 728 hp at 11.5-1 compression and a 300 hp nitrous shot and my boat consumed it all. Boat ran excellent, but that much nitrous is such a headache to maintain. I have to constantly keep going to the bank and get more bottles. I could really stand about 1100 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque on my boat setup. I put a different cam and a worn out 10-71 blower and birdcatcher on alky on the engine above at the dyno and it made 1255 hp at 10 % overdrive which made 14 lbs of boost. I didnt think my boat could stand that so I sold the blower and used nitrous. Wish I had the blower setup back. I really dont know just how driveable this would be in my boat cause i do a lot of riding around looking for races on regular basis. The only real drawback i see for me is the volumn of fuel it would take to get around. Carrying all that fuel is extra weight also. Any suggestions. I really would like a procharger deal if they would do exactly what they say they will do, but i cant make myself believe there all that good cause i have never heard of anyone who ran one with 1600 hp in a boat. That is turbocharged power. The procharger deal is also the ugliest setup around. Nothing beats the sex appeal of a blown injected deal does it. ?

convincor
10-06-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't know about the big numbers, but my stock 540 Bulldog Procharged is 750hp. 3 seasons no problems yet. Except for that dam bravo XZ drive! :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/222nose_cone_022.jpg

Unchained
10-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Gary,
How about a big screw blower with port injected efi ? The big screw blowers aren't cheap but the big prochargers aren't either.

speed freak
10-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Procharger is down the road from me and I have personally witnessed some incredible numbers. The employees that work there have some BAD A$$ rides that you don't want to tangle with. You WILL lose! I am a believer in there stuff. Don't know about there tech support. I run a 671 on my BBC camaro and they have tried to get me to switch over promising a whole bunch more power. Well, I like the bling sticking out of the hood more than shelled trannies!!!
But in your case, GO FOR IT!!!!!!! :crossx:

BOOGEYMAN
10-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Steve's numbers on those engines are for real!!!! Ron C runs a F3r and makes around 1900 on race gas with his set up non intercooled. I will try to dig up some old articles on how much of a temp drop you get below the carb on a blow through set up. The carb actually is its own little intercooler. Go over to turbo mustangs and poke around on the "carb plus boost "forum and check it out. Lots of 1400 hp small blocks with an F2 procharger set up.
Blow trhough carbs are an amazing set up and have come a long way in the past few years. Kevin over at www.csucarbs.com builds the best!!! Bill Lutz runs a 522ci chevy with a twin turbo set up on alcohol with a single carb and made 2770hp at the crank. www.lutzracing.com
I think most people dont run procharged set ups on their boats because they are not aware of the power the are capable of or just dont know enough about them.
Travis.
ok here is a vid of a 522 chevy with an F3 procharger on the dyno with a soft tune up and no intercooler.. 1239 hp and 1033 tq. with onlly 14 degrees timing and 18psi. btw it bows the intake tube off on the dyno.
http://media.putfile.com/dyno-79

Unchained
10-07-2006, 05:04 PM
The main reservation I always had about the Prochargers and all centrifugal blowers was the gear drive setup.
I seems to work OK but there is a huge mechanical disadvantage to the wildly overdriven gearing on them. I think thats why they use a rib belt is to give some slippage there when someone wings the throttle.
I've never heard any reports of longevity to the gear drives when someone is running lots of boost (20+#) for 100+ hours.
It seems like most of the procharger setups I've seen run less than 10# of boost.

BOOGEYMAN
10-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Less than 10lbs on a mild boat set up maybe.....Most all of the F2 and bigger prochargers as well as some of the F1r set ups use a cog drive system for zero slippage. Guys are getting 400+ passes plus lots of street driving with the prochargers with no problems with gear wear. Most of these set ups are 20 to 30 psi.

DEL51
10-07-2006, 08:58 PM
those are huge blowers. Are the centrifugal blower and turbo people using the same sources for their turbines and housings?

BOOGEYMAN
10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Here is a pic of an F4r procharger on a outlaw pro mod.

Big H
10-13-2006, 10:52 AM
My 540 admittedly needs a different cam and a little more tweaking but with the F2 Pro Charger and a Carb Shop blow through carb my motor made 918 hp on the dyno. The guys at Vrbancic Bros did the dyno work and they were actually diasappointed with my numbers. At Vrbancic they have a totally mild 468 BBC that they have made 1200 hp with, at 15 lbs of boost on alcohol. Big numbers are possible.

bordsmnj
10-13-2006, 10:52 PM
here a cool little vid that goes good here i think.
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/videos/blown/540BlownBBCHigh.wmv

BOOGEYMAN
10-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Nelsons also has a 2,000 hp 522 twin turbo that gets driven on the street almost daily.

bordsmnj
10-14-2006, 08:25 PM
i've spent an hour or two getting cuaght up in the videos on that sight. kinda like looking pictures of an expensive candy store. sorry for the highjack.

BOOGEYMAN
10-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Steve will be in the DEC. issue of Hot Rod with his 1740hp big block with a blow through, procharged, and on 92 pump gas!!
Travis.

boatnam2
10-15-2006, 11:30 AM
man he has some nice stuff.

Brian
10-19-2006, 09:02 PM
I put this setup together last winter and ran it all summer. It made a touch over 1k hp on 91 octane with a big pulley and around 10 lbs boost. The blower has another 10k rpm left in it and that would make a ton more boost. My fuel injectors are the limiting factor. With bigger injectors and a small pulley this thing could make some pretty sick power. As is it runs great on pump gas and so far hasn't torn up the drive. I'm really happy with it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2707blown_568_004_small.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2707blown_568_005_small.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2707blown_568_006_small.JPG

BOOGEYMAN
10-25-2006, 05:24 PM
very nice set up Brian!!! Is that an F1r blower?

Brian
10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
very nice set up Brian!!! Is that an F1r blower?
Thank you! The blower is an old M3/M4 hybrid that I bought used. The data plate says M3 but it's physically the size of an M4. Confused, I called the factory and found out that they built a few of these for some special application. Not really sure how it compares to either the standard M3 or M4 but it seems to be plenty for my application. It's geared to spin 47k at my engine's redline, and ATI says it's good for 57k safely. I sent it in for new seals and a checkup before installing it since it was quite old. Of course now it has developed a small oil leak so I'll have to send it back in this winter. Oh well. Part of the reason I went with this stuff is that I was able to reuse all of my existing EFI and intake system and it all fits under the hatch.

Strip Poker 388
10-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Was looking at the steve morris racing engines site and the horsepower numbers they get out of non intercooled procharger motors is unreal. Do the prochargers really work this well ? If they do, then why doesnt everyone have one on their boats? Im in the market for some sort of boosting power adder for my boat but hate to buy into this procharger deal and get burned. DOES anyone know for a fact they work as well as they claim with a blow thru carburetor. Their claiming 1600 horsepower at 6100 rpm with 93 octane with intercooler and 1600 hp on 114 octane without intercooler. With a850 holley carburetor?
drag car or marine motor? 1260hp is the highest I have heard of on a boat motor on 93.
Were is he out of ??