PDA

View Full Version : private flights to havasu?

whiteworks
10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Ideal situation:
Cable airport to Havasu
4 passengers
hour and change would be cool
$600 round trip
is this possible?
who do I call?
all I can find are jets charters. serious coin

INSman
10-06-2006, 11:41 AM
just go get your pilots license and fly yourself whenever you want on a rented airplane :cool:

whiteworks
10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
just go get your pilots license and fly yourself whenever you want on a rented airplane :cool:
just what I need another expensive hobby.

uvindex
10-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Ideal situation:
Cable airport to Havasu
4 passengers
hour and change would be cool
$600 round trip
is this possible?
who do I call?
all I can find are jets charters. serious coinWhen you say round trip, are you talking about going there just to have lunch or to stay for the weekend? :) If you're planning to go for a weekend, don't forget that you're gonna have to either pay for storage/rental of the aircraft over the weekend (and the pilot's room and board) or send him home and have him come back to pick you up, which makes for a total of four flight legs. :) Good luck!

whiteworks
10-06-2006, 11:53 AM
When you say round trip, are you talking about going there just to have lunch or to stay for the weekend? :) If you're planning to go for a weekend, don't forget that you're gonna have to either pay for storage/rental of the aircraft over the weekend (and the pilot's room and board) or send him home and have him come back to pick you up, which makes for a total of four flight legs. :) Good luck!
stay for a few days and have pilot return to pickup.

BoatPI
10-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Flying to havasu (HII) got much easier recently as U S Airways flys in via Las Vegas. So a local departure is to LAS then HII. If u book about two weeks ahead the cost is about $220 round trip with taxes from SNA. The flight time is greatly reduced, now as little as 2 1/2 hours. My flights leave at 8 am and arrive in Havasu at 10:30 am.

whiteworks
10-06-2006, 12:53 PM
just got a quote for $675 an hour twin piston prop roughly 2 grand.

Deano
10-06-2006, 12:58 PM
call a flight school in Havasu or your airport. There are always guys that want to get their hours in. Just pay for the gas and rental.

Havasu1986
10-06-2006, 01:03 PM
call a flight school in Havasu or your airport. There are always guys that want to get their hours in. Just pay for the gas and rental.
Have you done this. I would be a little concerned with a stranger in a small plane.

Deano
10-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I did it up to Mammoth a few years ago. There are alot of big ballers that buy turbo prop twins that have alot of hours already. Just going for their commercial in that type. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Just bring a couple chutes with ya and don't pass the pipe to him.

whiteworks
10-06-2006, 01:16 PM
local instructor quoted me $550. for flight instuction which includes dropping my ass off and picking my ass up acouple of days later. cesna 172 with 3 students on board. its only gonna shave 1 1/2 hours of drive time each way.

Angry Inch
10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
You fly, I buy...

whiteworks
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
those little cesna'a are like volkswagons with wings. anyone gotta faster plane?

Deano
10-06-2006, 01:26 PM
those little cesna'a are like volkswagons with wings. anyone gotta faster plane?
no shit. they don't ride as good though.

whiteworks
10-06-2006, 01:32 PM
lets see 2 hours in the back seat of a volkswagon or 3 1/2 hours in a heated/leather/lumbar support/with arm rest bucket seat in the sub. thats a tough one

Hardly Satisfied
10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Have you done this. I would be a little concerned with a stranger in a small plane.
hell you only live once go for it

Mardonzi
10-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I fly back and forth between Ramona CA and Page AZ every other week. Up on Friday, back early Monday morning for work in Valley Center. Sometimes I leave on either Wednesday afternoon or Thurs morning.
It takes me about 1:05 from here to Havasu flying a Bonanza F-33.

lewiville
10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I fly back and forth between Ramona CA and Page AZ every other week. Up on Friday, back early Monday morning for work in Valley Center. Sometimes I leave on either Wednesday afternoon or Thurs morning.
It takes me about 1:05 from here to Havasu flying a Bonanza F-33.
is it a rough ride?

Mardonzi
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Usually not too bad this time of year. During the monsoon season, it can get turbulent.Wife hates to fly and she tolerates it.

lewiville
10-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Usually not too bad this time of year. During the monsoon season, it can get turbulent.Wife hates to fly and she tolerates it.
how do you put up with it ( the turbulence )?
I hate it even in a big plane

Kachina26
10-06-2006, 02:45 PM
is it a rough ride?
sometimes yes, sometimes no, winter time is nice.

Mardonzi
10-06-2006, 02:59 PM
you learn to read clouds, and terrain... to help minimize it.
you also listen to the Airmets and Pireps... and if it's too bad, you don't fly.

PHX ATC
10-06-2006, 03:04 PM
If you don't want to pay the air taxis (commuters) the price for a ticket and are scared of a flight instructor flying you up there and back, then drive it.
It's a riot flying in littler planes. Think of the stories you could tell when you're 80 years old sitting on your rocking chair. :)

Mardonzi
10-06-2006, 03:11 PM
If you don't want to pay the air taxis (commuters) the price for a ticket and are scared of a flight instructor flying you up there and back, then drive it.
It's a riot flying in littler planes. Think of the stories you could tell when you're 80 years old sitting on your rocking chair. :)
I agree,, one of the things the wife says that makes her more comfortable with it is being to see and hear everything that is going on (ARTCC, controls, and such)

squirt'nmyload
10-06-2006, 03:49 PM
yes it is!!!!!!! when my friend was an instructor at embry riddle i used to go up with him all the time.............. buzzing cattle, stalled spins.....almost shit myself a couple times!!!!

whiteworks
10-06-2006, 04:16 PM
just got back from an intro fligh in a 152 scheduled a 172 for next week. I'm hoping the 172 will get me hooked. the 152 didnt do it for me.

YeLLowBoaT
10-06-2006, 04:19 PM
The most fun I ever had flying a plane was in a super cub.... even flying the personal jet was nothing compared the trill of a super cub.

Mardonzi
10-07-2006, 06:18 AM
If the C-152 didn't do it for yoiu, I'm sure the 172 won't either. 2 more seats and a few more horses,, that's about it.
Just getting out is what is fun. A friend of mine used to have a little Cessna 150 and we had a riot with that thing. Taking it out into the desert and landing it wherever we felt like, when we felt like it. Can't really do that with a Bonanza.
YB, I'm with you. I've got time in everything from a Cessna 150 to a King Air B-200 and the funnest thing I've ever flown was a little 2 seat biplane.

chub
10-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Whiteworks = Big Baller! I've flown a copter, I think I can pull off a plane no prob. Let's think about this abit! :boxed:

SnakeWrench
10-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Flown it. 172, 1:17, 9.5 gallons of 100LL, and I flew the river, which is a sight everyone needs to see.
I'll be flying every weekend next season.
In small planes(172,152, 182) you need to know the weather and fly by the weather. You don't want to fly into a monsoon.

whiteworks
10-07-2006, 09:12 AM
If the C-152 didn't do it for yoiu, I'm sure the 172 won't either. 2 more seats and a few more horses,, that's about it.
Just getting out is what is fun. A friend of mine used to have a little Cessna 150 and we had a riot with that thing. Taking it out into the desert and landing it wherever we felt like, when we felt like it. Can't really do that with a Bonanza.
YB, I'm with you. I've got time in everything from a Cessna 150 to a King Air B-200 and the funnest thing I've ever flown was a little 2 seat biplane.
It was fun for sure, but the 150 aint no hot rod. I would like to go for a ride in somthing with a bit more juice. I think theres a p-51 down at chino that has a passenger seat in it. im sure that would do the trick. I know a guy that has a bonanza how does somthing like that compare to a cessna.

whiteworks
10-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Whiteworks = Big Baller! I've flown a copter, I think I can pull off a plane no prob. Let's think about this abit! :boxed:
Itty bitty baller. who in the hell let you fly a copter? I like the concept of flying to havi, but to get there fast its gonna cost some serious coin. I need to get a big boy check book :cry:

Mardonzi
10-07-2006, 12:01 PM
It was fun for sure, but the 150 aint no hot rod. I would like to go for a ride in somthing with a bit more juice. I think theres a p-51 down at chino that has a passenger seat in it. im sure that would do the trick. I know a guy that has a bonanza how does somthing like that compare to a cessna.
figure about 60% faster than the 172,,, TAS at cruise is about 170-175 kts.
Best ground speed I've had flying the bonanza was 236 kts on GPS,, hell of a tailwind!. (236 kts =271 mph)

SnakeWrench
10-07-2006, 12:59 PM
figure about 60% faster than the 172,,, TAS at cruise is about 170-175 kts.
Best ground speed I've had flying the bonanza was 236 kts on GPS,, hell of a tailwind!. (236 kts =271 mph)
Yeah, we had a nice tw a few weeks ago. IAS was 122, Gps ground speed was 154. The trip back was very much the reverse. lol Bumped up to 8900 and picked up abit, but the winds aloft were much stronger than they said they would be. WOOOHHOOOOO,,,,,,Bumb bump bump...

DaveA
10-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I tell passengers just to compare it to riding down a dirt road with a few ruts and potholes you've got to negotiate until you get back on the pavement. Seemed to work in some cases. The wife knows better. Those manicured nails sink into my right knee when it gets a bit more than she can handle.
The only thing she disliked more was when I let a fuel tank run dry. Almost drew blood..... :eek: