PDA

View Full Version : big chief heads

delirious
10-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Any one use big chief heads on blown gas 632 big block chev if so which manifold did you use.

JMC
10-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Im running the INDY intake with 18* Big Chiefs.

DEL51
10-07-2006, 09:55 PM
i searched the indy website, mopar only, had considered chief or other symmetrical port heads. I am going with dart 360 cnc because of this. What do these intakes cost?Wanted blown gas 572 to be bigger. I will wait or convert for better setups.Saw lots of olds and pontiac blower motors at tractor/truck pulling competitions. The builder/supplier connections seem hard to find.

delirious
10-08-2006, 07:56 AM
do you know if indy has a web site

wsuwrhr
10-08-2006, 08:05 AM
do you know if indy has a web site
Indy Cylinder head (http://www.indyheads.com)

LUVNLIFE
10-08-2006, 08:06 AM
www.indyheads.com :cool:

wsuwrhr
10-08-2006, 08:08 AM
I didn't know they did anything for Chevy though.
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-08-2006, 08:08 AM
www.indyheads.com :cool:
Yea yea, I fixed it
Smartiepants
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-08-2006, 08:12 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63indymaxxblock-med.jpg
I may just know someone who has one of these.
Brian

steelcomp
10-08-2006, 10:41 AM
If you don't mind spending the money, call Alan Johnson, and talk to Chris Barker. 805 922 1202

SUI-CY-COLE
10-08-2006, 12:43 PM
call john force racing.....tell them pat sent ya,lol

steelcomp
10-08-2006, 01:01 PM
What's Chris's Speciality ... Does he know Top Fuel Motors or is it better to talk with someone else?Chris is the manager. His specialty is just about anything with a blower on it. AJ does a whole lot more than just TF. Chris fabs a real nice intake for the symetrical port heads, but it's not cheap. They may have someting cast by now...not sure. Then there's the billet intake for the hemi's... :220v:
If nothing else, Chris can send you in the right direction for what you need.

PGF500
10-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I run big chief heads on my Pro Gas motor. If I could throw them away I would! Offset rocker arms are junk especially when it comes to running a big lobe cam, you run a offset lifter which in turn loads one side of the cam harder. The deflection is huge, the bearings in the rockers get trasheds, rocker stands wear out, bolts break. Its one gnarly cycle that never ends and empties your wallet. I do run Jesel rockers and if I had been smart I would have changed them to a T&D. They have a new offset stand that that reduces the offset rocker which helps. They also have better oiling to the rocker unlike Jesel. My suggestion go with a good conventional head with conventional style shaft rocker and a common bar that ties the rocker arm package together. Alan Johnson has them for there 4.9 Pro Stock stuff but I'm not sure about 4.840 conventional heads. Jesel and T&D both sell them too. I know this really doesn't say much for a manifold combo for a big chief blown gas engine but it might help in other areas with the big chief head.

steelcomp
10-08-2006, 04:31 PM
I run big chief heads on my Pro Gas motor. If I could throw them away I would! Offset rocker arms are junk especially when it comes to running a big lobe cam, you run a offset lifter which in turn loads one side of the cam harder. The deflection is huge, the bearings in the rockers get trasheds, rocker stands wear out, bolts break. Its one gnarly cycle that never ends and empties your wallet. I do run Jesel rockers and if I had been smart I would have changed them to a T&D. They have a new offset stand that that reduces the offset rocker which helps. They also have better oiling to the rocker unlike Jesel. My suggestion go with a good conventional head with conventional style shaft rocker and a common bar that ties the rocker arm package together. Alan Johnson has them for there 4.9 Pro Stock stuff but I'm not sure about 4.840 conventional heads. Jesel and T&D both sell them too. I know this really doesn't say much for a manifold combo for a big chief blown gas engine but it might help in other areas with the big chief head.Couldn't have said it better myself. AJ makes his own rockers, and they have an integral rocker girdle that all the rockers mount to, and bolts to the top of the head. (for their billet heads...maybe for the cast stuff by now, as well) It's about the trickest set up you'll see. They also make a conventional billet BBChev head that's unbelievable. Pricy at 4K+...bare.

BOOGEYMAN
10-08-2006, 06:34 PM
What about a nice set of Pro Filers??? Thats what we run in the race cars and have great luck with them.

PGF500
10-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Steelcomp- AJ's stuff is very nice. I've only been around his 4.9 pro stock cast heads and the one piece rocker stand/girdle is the only way to fly in my opion. I used to work with a aero space machine shop and we built a few sets of one piece rocker stands for some symetrical port chevy heads and drce olds heads. We went from constaint rocker arm issues to not a single one just by tying everthing together. As for the Profiler heads, I personally don't have any back round with them but I'm sure they are a good piece. I've seen a lot of new conventional style heads that have nice flow numbers and still have a small port all with a decent price tag too.

JMC
10-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I run big chief heads on my Pro Gas motor. If I could throw them away I would! Offset rocker arms are junk especially when it comes to running a big lobe cam, you run a offset lifter which in turn loads one side of the cam harder. The deflection is huge, the bearings in the rockers get trasheds, rocker stands wear out, bolts break. Its one gnarly cycle that never ends and empties your wallet. I do run Jesel rockers and if I had been smart I would have changed them to a T&D. They have a new offset stand that that reduces the offset rocker which helps. They also have better oiling to the rocker unlike Jesel. My suggestion go with a good conventional head with conventional style shaft rocker and a common bar that ties the rocker arm package together. Alan Johnson has them for there 4.9 Pro Stock stuff but I'm not sure about 4.840 conventional heads. Jesel and T&D both sell them too. I know this really doesn't say much for a manifold combo for a big chief blown gas engine but it might help in other areas with the big chief head.
Now I am scared. I have 66 hrs. on a Jesel RCA rocker set up with Big Chiefs. Im still running the same Crane solid roller lifters in as well. Its holding at .020 across. I will probably drop a valve before winter now that I have read this :mad:

delirious
10-09-2006, 03:54 PM
what kind of motor set up you have and boat

JMC
10-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Its an older Merlin. 598. 14/71 TBS. 2- 1050's. Its in an HTM 24.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/JMC_711/DSCN0481.jpg

Cs19
10-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Im with PGF500..Go with conventional heads and forget about it. There are conventional headed motors making huge power now, big chief stuff is bad ass for racing,etc. but maybe a bit much for recreational motors.
Ive got all that offset lifter/ rocker stuff and it just makes me nervous but I keep tabs on everything and watch for problems the best I can. :220v:
As far as the blower manifold, Id get in touch with Roy Miersch, Im sure hes got something for ya, hes a big name in blower manifolds.

Jetboatguru
10-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Talk to boat 030 on the bords, he runs Big Chiefs on a big inch motor in his 26 Daytona. You can get away with the Big Chiefs with little problems if you are not twisting it 9000rpm. If you are running a big cat or V bottom and it is only gonna see 6500 max you should be fine. Problem is everything is one off and expen$ive.

steelcomp
10-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Talk to boat 030 on the bords, he runs Big Chiefs on a big inch motor in his 26 Daytona. You can get away with the Big Chiefs with little problems if you are not twisting it 9000rpm. If you are running a big cat or V bottom and it is only gonna see 6500 max you should be fine. Problem is everything is one off and expen$ive.If you're only running 6500 rpm, BC's are a waste of money. Tony's right...at 6500, you're not going to run into the problems associated with high rpm and killer spring pressures/ cam profiles, but in reality, the BC's are expensive and overkill.

Cs19
10-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Anyone have experience with big chiefs and nitrous?
Im reading that the small chamber heads are touchy with nitrous. Ive been doing alot of testing and havent seen any problems so far other than having to stagger some jetting.

UBFJ #454
10-18-2006, 03:04 AM
What's the 'Problem' with using staggered jetting to fine tune?

Cs19
10-18-2006, 08:19 AM
I never said using that method was a problem for fine tuning, some people use that method, some use the ignition system where you can change the timing in each cylinder for fine tuning.
Perhaps there is an issue with this type of cylinder head that requires us to run that type of jetting?

UBFJ #454
10-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Ive been doing alot of testing and havent seen any problem so far other than having to stagger some jetting.
I never said using that method was a problem for fine tuning, some people use that method, some use the ignition system where you can change the timing in each cylinder for fine tuning.
The Bold is why I thought you were saying it was a problem ... Personally I prefer using both staggered jetting & ignition to fine tune individual cylinders, as it is necessary, in my opinion, with larger n2o Shots.
Perhaps there is an issue with this type of cylinder head that requires us to run that type of jetting?
There's no real issue with small chambered heads and n2o so long as your aware of what might be required to tune them and you have the hardware necessary to accomplish the optimal tune ... What happens with smaller chambered heads like we're both running is there's just about 1/2 the chamber volume of most other heads so there's less volume to be 'averaged' in and on higher compression NA motors such as ours, slight deviations in hardware that affect the A/F (including the n2o) charge into each cylinder have their effect and become more evident and, therefore, have to be dealt with cylinder by cylinder ... Note that the more n2o that one puts into the motor, the closer one has to pay attention to the tune (A/F charge & Retard) of individual cylinders so as not to hurt anything. That is one of the reasons why we haven't gone to a bigger shot yet ... that (with our current ignition system we can't tune the ignition on individual cylinders) and we don't have a big enough pump yet to handle the higher Tq & Hp.

steelcomp
10-18-2006, 08:54 PM
From what I know, you're not going to get much out of adjusting individual cyl. timing unless you're ablbe to accurately measure individual peak cylinder pressure.

Cs19
10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the post Jak.Are you guys running larger fuel jets in 2 & 7?
Scott on nitrous stuff having timing controls for each cyliner is HUGE, all the nitrous gurus swear by it and say its the ONLY way to go to get the tune up right.Without that you have to tune to your worst cylinder by reading the heat on the strap and you leave alot on the table with your other cylinders.You can only do so much by moving fuel and nitrous jets around, eventually your stuck and need to have individual timing control to get it super dialed in.

UBFJ #454
10-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Chris ... I do not post tuning specifics for our motor, or for that matter, any other motor I know on a public forum ... I only post generalities. There are several reasons for this ... one is obvious ... another is that the design of 'Ms. MoneyPenny' is 'different' than most others and for that reason, what works on 'Her' may not be 'Healthy' for other motors ... in fact, I could post something and someone could try it on their motor and really hurt their piece. I will PM you some info in the next few days, when I'm not so rushed.
Scott ... With today's technology, determining peak cylinder pressures (at least to the 1st Order) is not as hard as it used to be a few years ago ... possible, but, not cheep.

Cs19
10-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Chris ... I do not post tuning specifics for our motor, or for that matter, any other motor I know on a public forum ... I only post generalities. There are several reasons for this ... one is obvious ... another is that the design of 'Ms. MoneyPenny' is 'different' than most others and for that reason, what works on 'Her' may not be 'Healthy' for other motors ... in fact, I could post something and someone could try it on their motor and really hurt their piece. I will PM you some info in the next few days, when I'm not so rushed.
Scott ... With today's technology, determining peak cylinder pressures (at least to the 1st Order) is not as hard as it used to be a few years ago ... possible, but, not cheep.
I understand Jak, no problem, dont worry about the Pm if your busy.. I'll see ya in Phoenix in about a month. :)
Chris.

Cs19
10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Here is something from one of the nitrous boards regarding fine tuning nitrous plugs using ICT.Its a cut and paste from a Mike Canter post.
If you are using a gold colored ground strap like with an NGK spark plug then not enough timing will show the ground strap as still gold or going light gray maybe with a few bubbles on it after a run. As you advance the ignition and put heat in the engine the plug ground strap will turn darker gray as well as the metal at the end of the threaded area. As the metal turns medium to dark gray you should start looking for the blue line (band) around the ground strap. Ideally, you want this blue line to be just below where the ground strap makes the sharp bend and above the weld. If you advance the ignition too far the blue will disappear off the strap and the strap will pick up rainbow colors (blues and greens). The next step beyond that is to start melting the strap from the tip end and detonation. When you are close to the correct timing then only change the timing by one degree at a time. If you ignition system has the capability of adjusting the timing of each cylinder independently (ICT) then you can use that feature to have the blue line in the same position on all the plugs. First, adjust the basic timing to get as many of the plugs to have the blue line just at the sharp bend in the strap. Now adjust the ICT to move the blue line to the same point on the remaining plugs. Once all the plugs read the same you can advance the ignition a little at a time to put the blue line just above the weld on the strap or whatever point gives you the best performance.

SUI-CY-COLE
10-20-2006, 09:51 PM
ya big cheif heads sucks......haha...not

delirious
10-21-2006, 02:28 PM
why do they suck . which heads are better for blowen 632 on gas

SUI-CY-COLE
10-21-2006, 02:47 PM
in the right applictaion they are awesome...there is a reason why most of all the fast street cars are running them...i was being sarcastic when i said they suck......myself and friends have had some great luck with them...and they are only the 18 degree ones

delirious
10-29-2006, 03:34 PM
with cc so small on heads how do you get compress down to 8.5 with out putting the piston down into the block

KNOT-RIGHT
10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
I run 557,s Dart 18 degree chiefs. TD Shafts with oilers.
PSI springs Titanium intakes Iconnel exhaust,s
Three different size pushrods with Isky solids.
Cam is custom solid ground 420 lobe/254 ground on 114CL.
11lb boost. intercooled
Chiefs make power.
The 30 hour valve train is the biggest issue.

Taylorman
11-06-2006, 07:51 PM
So how do you change timing on individual cylinders?

SUI-CY-COLE
11-06-2006, 08:13 PM
So how do you change timing on individual cylinders?
digital..or programmable...msd box