PDA

View Full Version : 91 Corvette ZR1

Flashover
01-18-2006, 06:52 AM
I was watching Barrett Jackson last night and a black 91 ZR1 rolled across the block. They said 2 things i didn't know. 1. that was the only corvette ever to have a DOHC setup. 2. They also said that Mercury Marine built that 400 hp engine that is in the 91 ZR1. Pretty interesting i thought. :crossx:

ChumpChange
01-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Sweet. Now when I get to final Jeopardy, I'll have an increased chance of getting the answer correct.

OLDRAT
01-18-2006, 07:07 AM
They built the Lotus designed engine in their Stillwater, Oklahoma plant.
Quite a set-up; a complete manufacturing line dedicated to the engine
and was state of the art at that time. The blocks were cast in Denison, Tx.
and some of the sealing surfaces in the engine used silk-screened on gaskets
which was quite a feat at that time.
I was a supplier for some of the processes, but it came to an end after
around three years. They even put some of the motors in test boats and
tournament ski boats.
Warranty work was performed by Chevrolet Engineers out of Bowling Green
with Lotus's assistance. Kind of like the GNX Buicks that McClaren did,
dealerships were not allowed to work on the powertrain without corporate
involvement.

2Driver
01-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Not a bad price either. Just hate to try to have the engine service, parts etc. Like the guy said, " a $30K car with a $30K engine option.
I am heading down to the auction in about an hour. If you want pics of anything special let me know.

Tom Brown
01-18-2006, 07:51 AM
They said 2 things i didn't know. 1. that was the only corvette ever to have a DOHC setup. 2. They also said that Mercury Marine built that 400 hp engine that is in the 91 ZR1. Pretty interesting i thought. :crossx:
Here's something else you may not know.
The "Corvette" logo in the valve covers is painted orange with BBQ paint. :D
... I remember watching a tour of the Mercury facility where they assembled part of that engine way back in the day. :D

Flashover
01-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Not a bad price either. Just hate to try to have the engine service, parts etc. Like the guy said, " a $30K car with a $30K engine option.
I am heading down to the auction in about an hour. If you want pics of anything special let me know.
You suck...J/K. I have always wanted to attend that auction. Take some good pics and have a great time. :crossx:

Captain Dan
01-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Sweet. Now when I get to final Jeopardy, I'll have an increased chance of getting the answer correct.
They give you the answer, you will need to get the question correct. :)

mondorally
01-18-2006, 08:31 AM
They give you the answer, you will need to get the question correct. :)
Alex, what are "random facts I learned on ***boat Forums"?

2Driver
01-18-2006, 08:38 AM
You suck...J/K. I have always wanted to attend that auction. Take some good pics and have a great time. :crossx:
Yep, 15 minutes down the hill. Can't even finish a cup of coffee on the way :rollside:

HCS
01-18-2006, 09:05 AM
I was watching Barrett Jackson last night and a black 91 ZR1 rolled across the block. They said 2 things i didn't know. 1. that was the only corvette ever to have a DOHC setup. 2. They also said that Mercury Marine built that 400 hp engine that is in the 91 ZR1. Pretty interesting i thought. :crossx:
I seen that.
What I thought was interesting is that Vette was all original hardly ever driven.
I forget what the mileage was. Wasn't it like 14,000 miles or something?
Anyways they said the car sold brand new in 1991 for 30,000 dollars.
The high bid on the car was 29,000 dollars. SOLD 29 grand. :hammer2:
So the idiot that bought the car new, parked it in his garage for 15 years and hardly ever drove the thing so he could lose money. :220v:

Sleek-Jet
01-18-2006, 09:11 AM
I seen that.
What I thought was interesting is that Vette was all original hardly ever driven.
I forget what the mileage was. Wasn't it like 14,000 miles or something?
So the idiot that bought the car new, parked it in his garage for 15 years and hardly ever drove the thing so he could lose money. :220v:
He should have held on to it another 5 - 10 years. Vette's seem to run on a 20 year pricing cycle. They depreciate for about 10 - 15 years, and then start to appreciate after that. Rare cars like the ZR-1's don't go down as much but suffer from the same cycle it seems.
29,000 is still a steal on that car. There have been a few go on ebay for more than that.

maxwedge
01-18-2006, 09:18 AM
What's really sad is that a lot of ZR1's were selling over 60k when they first came out. It was a very in demand car at the time. I'd guess that the majority of the first year ZR1's sold new for well over sticker price.

HCS
01-18-2006, 09:22 AM
He should have held on to it another 5 - 10 years. Vette's seem to run on a 20 year pricing cycle. They depreciate for about 10 - 15 years, and then start to appreciate after that. Rare cars like the ZR-1's don't go down as much but suffer from the same cycle it seems.
29,000 is still a steal on that car. There have been a few go on ebay for more than that.
Another thing that was interesting. The bidding went 29..30..31.
Then back down 30...29... :confused:
I couldn't figure out if some guy changed his mind or what.
There was some confusion between bidders.
The guy that got the car was a long hair hippy looking dude from the sixties.
Typical Vette owner. :D

pjones
01-18-2006, 09:22 AM
I seen that.
According to the info I found the base price was $32,455.00
and the ZR1 option added $31,683.00. So he paid somewhere around
$60k and it went for 30k 15 yrs later...Doesn't make much sense????

maxwedge
01-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Depreciation. It's what happens to most cars over time. Especially when you pay twice the asking price, just so you can be the first to have one. :)

Sleek-Jet
01-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Depreciation. It's what happens to most cars over time. Especially when you pay twice the asking price, just so you can be the first to have one. :)
ZR-1's sold for over 60K new, that was the asking price. Like has been posted before, the ZR-1 engine was a 30K option... on top of the 30K list price for a new Vette.

maxwedge
01-18-2006, 09:43 AM
ZR-1's sold for over 60K new, that was the asking price. Like has been posted before, the ZR-1 engine was a 30K option... on top of the 30K list price for a new Vette.
Yeah, I know. I guess what I should have said was that a lot of ZR1's were selling for WAY over 60K when new. I seem to remember people paying well into the 100K range, like maybe $140k. Actaually I thought the sticker was like 75K Does that seem right? Those were my college years, so my memories a little fuzzy. LOL

Sleek-Jet
01-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I know. I guess what I should have said was that a lot of ZR1's were selling for WAY over 60K when new. I seem to remember people paying well into the 100K range, like maybe $140k. Does that seem right? Those were my college years, so my memories a little fuzzy. LOL
I don't remember them going for that much, but they were moving for more than sticker price. I had an uncle that worked for a dealer in Colorado. They had a guy come in and pay cash for one. Something like 70 grand in 100.00 dollar bills. :eek:

HCS
01-18-2006, 09:52 AM
I can't find that exact car.
Got to be on here somewhere.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/default.asp

maxwedge
01-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I don't remember them going for that much, but they were moving for more than sticker price. I had an uncle that worked for a dealer in Colorado. They had a guy come in and pay cash for one. Something like 70 grand in 100.00 dollar bills. :eek:
That must be nice. I need a stack of 100 bills like that. I wonder if that guy regrets spending it. LOL

maxwedge
01-18-2006, 09:59 AM
That must be nice. I need a stack of 100 bills like that
Man, my posts are Phuc-up city today. I guess I need more than 2hrs sleep or else I'm going to be editing everything. What I ment to say was that I need a stack of 100 dollar bills like that. But I guess 10k would be nice too. LOL :)
Yep. I even needed to edit my post about editing posts. :220v: :crossx:

spectras only
01-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Another thing that was interesting. The bidding went 29..30..31.
Then back down 30...29... :confused:
I couldn't figure out if some guy changed his mind or what.
There was some confusion between bidders.
The guy that got the car was a long hair hippy looking dude from the sixties.
Typical Vette owner. :D
The hippy was prolly the friend of the seller . They figured the bidding didn't go well ,and didn't want to loose a good car [ they were 60K+ new here] for way too low of a price. Paying 8 % comission to barrett jackson is better than losing a good car for peanuts . If I remember correctly, the ZR 1 engine is also all aluminum . GM dropped the ZR engine for the same reason merc dropped the Scorpion .
Friend of mine has a 78 vette he bought for his mom who never drove it .
He still had it last year with 800 miles on it . Ugly car though , otherwise I would have bought it off him. My colleague's dad has a 1968 327 conv 4 speed I'm going to look it this spring . He's far away from here ,but I have to take a stab at it ,since I can have it for like 10-11 K cdn :p . Car just need new paint , top has been replaced and the seats are new . Hope the bugger won't sell it on me before I make it there . It's in an undisclosed area , and NO ,I won't tell anyone where it's at :p :D

HCS
01-18-2006, 12:13 PM
The hippy was prolly the friend of the seller . They figured the bidding didn't go well ,and didn't want to loose a good car [ they were 60K+ new here] for way too low of a price. Paying 8 % comission to barrett jackson is better than losing a good car for peanuts . If I remember correctly, the ZR 1 engine is also all aluminum . GM dropped the ZR engine for the same reason merc dropped the Scorpion .
Friend of mine has a 78 vette he bought for his mom who never drove it .
He still had it last year with 800 miles on it . Ugly car though , otherwise I would have bought it off him. My colleague's dad has a 1968 327 conv 4 speed I'm going to look it this spring . He's far away from here ,but I have to take a stab at it ,since I can have it for like 10-11 K cdn :p . Car just need new paint , top has been replaced and the seats are new . Hope the bugger won't sell it on me before I make it there . It's in an undisclosed area , and NO ,I won't tell anyone where it's at :p :D
There was something strange about the way it sold.
Iv'e never seen the bidding go up then come back down.
Then all the sudden it sold.

Flashover
01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
I can't find that exact car.
Got to be on here somewhere.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/default.asp
Here it is...
Scottsdale 2006
1991 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR-1 COUPE
LOT #98 - NO RESERVE
2006 BJCCA CCA
1991 ZR1 Barrett Jackson (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=183885)
OPTIONS
COLOR - BLACK
TRANS - 6 SPEED
CYLINDERS - V8
ENGINE SIZE - 350
All original ZR1 with only 16,000 original miles. Perfect condition, original window sticker, manuals, leather ZR1 VIN case, with dual tops, one amazing car. Fastest production car of its time.

ROZ
01-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Had a friend in 91 who had a red one... that kid tore the thing up.. If was a lot of fun though :D