PDA

View Full Version : Morongo Basin Search and Rescue Poker Run

FASTERDAMITT
10-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't know if anyone from HB goes to this event in Johnson Valley but it's a great family event they put on this last weekend. I had a great time until Sunday morning when I seen the aftermath of a Banshee that collided with a Rino on the dry lake bed. Does anyone on these boards have info on how the little boy is from the Rhino? I had to walk away. It was to sad. From the damage I seen it did'nt look like he was wearing a helmet. After Life Flight came they took thier time before they took off, I don't know if that was a good sign or not. I had a hard time sleeping last night wondering if he made it. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

wsuwrhr
10-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I hope everyone comes out OK.
How did something happen like that on such an open area?
Brian
I don't know if anyone from HB goes to this event in Johnson Valley but it's a great family event they put on this last weekend. I had a great time until Sunday morning when I seen the aftermath of a Banshee that collided with a Rino on the dry lake bed. Does anyone on these boards have info on how the little boy is from the Rhino? I had to walk away. It was to sad. From the damage I seen it did'nt look like he was wearing a helmet. After Life Flight came they took thier time before they took off, I don't know if that was a good sign or not. I had a hard time sleeping last night wondering if he made it. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

FASTERDAMITT
10-09-2006, 10:57 AM
I wish I could say how it happened. I do know that the dry lake bed is where everyone test thier testoterone level for top speed of thier machine. There is no rules or direction. They tend to run wide open in any direction at will. It's great not to have enforcement, but keep my kids out of there.

FASTERDAMITT
10-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Nobody attended the event from this board?

bohica
10-12-2006, 08:51 PM
This was posted over at Glamisdunes.com re the accident.
The boys name is Landon, he is the son of a really good friend of mine. He's at Loma Linda and is in for a long recovery. He fractured both eye sockets, broke his jaw in a few places, has a pretty bad skull fracture, and a broken left arm. I believe he's going to have surgery on friday. He is doing as good as can be expected. From what I've heard the guy on the banshee was racing another quad and must not have been paying attention and slammed into the passenger side rear of the Rhino causing it to spin out and roll over a few times. I'll post more as I find out.

FASTERDAMITT
10-13-2006, 10:49 AM
From what I seen, the way you descibed it is what I saw. I did get a email form Morongo Search and Rescue today. He said pretty much the same thing you said also. It did not look as if the boy had a helmet on. I was pretty pissed to see that after what happened to him. I know it probably was not the dads fault but I've seen more injuries on Rhino's than on any offroad toy since they came out. Some sense of security having a half azzed roll cage. It doesn't work worth a chit from the side.

bohica
10-13-2006, 11:39 AM
I've seen more injuries on Rhino's than on any offroad toy since they came out. Some sense of security having a half azzed roll cage. It doesn't work worth a chit from the side.
I gotta agree. I bought Tobteks Rhino and took it out to the dunes last weekend. Driving the rhino in the dunes scared the hell out of me, and I had no confidence in it's duning ability. Decided right then that it'll be a camp cruiser, I'll save the duning for the Funco.

stoker
10-13-2006, 11:56 AM
I gotta agree. I bought Tobteks Rhino and took it out to the dunes last weekend. Driving the rhino in the dunes scared the hell out of me, and I had no confidence in it's duning ability. Decided right then that it'll be a camp cruiser, I'll save the duning for the Funco.
Did the golfcart dune better than the Rhino?

jeepinscott
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
There was also another accident involving a girl on a motorcycle (may have been a quad, I am not positive) But, she passed away. I wasn't there, but have been there in the past. My kids were actually there with their grandparents last weekend and we heard the scene after the accident where the boy collided with the Rhino was pretty upsetting.

FASTERDAMITT
10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
I seen another guy endo on a Suzuki bike at checkpoint four. He dislocated his shoulder. lucky that was all. Brand new bike (enduro). Wrong bike for the whoop de doo's he was hittin.