PDA

View Full Version : wiring speaker to an amp

Coach
10-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I am looking at installing 6 6.5" Component speakers and want to run them off of one amp. I am thinking about using an Alpine PDX 4.150. Can I bridge the amp (300 x 2 at 4 Ohms) and run the speakers in series? This seems logical to me, but I need some input from the stereo guru's as to how I can best achieve this. As for speakers I am looking at the Kicker KS62 with an RMS of 75W
Thanks

Mr. Naudio
10-09-2006, 12:58 PM
I am looking at installing 6 6.5" Component speakers and want to run them off of one amp. I am thinking about using an Alpine PDX 4.150. Can I bridge the amp (300 x 2 at 4 Ohms) and run the speakers in series? This seems logical to me, but I need some input from the stereo guru's as to how I can best achieve this. As for speakers I am looking at the Kicker KS62 with an RMS of 75W
Thanks
Would use the RS kickers if it where me and would wire the front 2 on channel
1 and 2 then series the 2 on right rear to one channel and the left rears on the other more than enough power for this no need to bridge.

Cheap Thrills
10-09-2006, 04:32 PM
6 -4 Ohm speakers ? 3 per side ?
Runnin all 3 per side in series is going to give you approx 12 Ohms, something your amp and your ears may not be happy with.
You could paralell 2 with one in series giving you an idle resistance of approx 6 Ohms. as with all speakers as the voice coil increases in temp. the impedance will drop.
I agree with Naudio's suggestion also no need to bridge and I think the 2 per side in series @ 8 Ohms and the singles in the rear @ 4 Ohms would would be the best way to go.
Not to mention it would probably help even the volume out front to rear if you are where I like to be ( In the drivers seat :) )
C.T. :wink:

Coach
10-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the input. This is why I come here to learn about this stuff. :rollside: Any good web sites that offer instruction in basic set ups?

Cheap Thrills
10-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I can't think of any mobile audio forums right offhand but I'm sure there's more than you can shake a stick at , Google is your friend !
There's alot of great minds here at the HB family :D shall I drop some names ? haha !
I would almost bet that any question about setups and equipment you have can answered here.
Answers will vary from the obscure to dead on depending on who you get to respond. :D
The only stupid question is the one not asked. So fire away.
C.T. :wink: