PDA

View Full Version : Boatcop: DUI with kids in the car:

Trailer Park Casanova
10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
When only one adult parent w/kids is stopped, and hooked up for DUI, what becomes of the kids at that point?
2006 Parker Summer Boat Accident/fatality statistics:
http://boatcop.com/smf/index.php?topic=58.0

Nautitwins2
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
When only one adult parent w/kids is stopped, and hooked up for DUI, what becomes of the kids at that point?
Child Protective Services! Just a guess though. I have been watching CSI. LOL

DILLIGAF
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Protective custody? CPS?

XTRM22
10-09-2006, 12:38 PM
This happened to a guy that worked for me several years ago, the deputy allowed him to call someone to come get the kids, but later the local DA decided to pursue child endangerment charges.
Chuck

Boatcop
10-09-2006, 12:56 PM
First note: DUI in AZ with kids, age 15 or under, in the car is a FELONY! Automatically. Child Endangerment charges MAY be filed, but the act alone is enough for a Felony beef.
Now that that's out of the way......
We will take whatever means necessary to release the kids to a relative, friend, anyone who will take responsibility. We will usually try and call the spouse of the violator for such clearance, since we try not to rely on the judgment of someone who we feel is drunk.
If all else fails, we will contact Child Protective Services for temporary placement. They will handle contacting relatives or others to take the kids.

AltarGirl
10-09-2006, 01:01 PM
2006 Parker Summer Boat Accident/fatality statistics:
http://boatcop.com/smf/index.php?topic=58.0
I know what happens b/c I was the kid in the car when I was 13 in a DUI accident.
A friend of mine & I were w/my baby sis (2 at the time) & the driver was drunk & got into an accident. The cops came & took her & my little sister in the squad car to the station while we waited on the side of the freeway at 10pm for another car to come pick us up to take us to the station where a family member picked us up.

Nautitwins2
10-09-2006, 01:08 PM
First note: DUI in AZ with kids, age 15 or under, in the car is a FELONY! Automatically. Child Endangerment charges MAY be filed, but the act alone is enough for a Felony beef.
We will take whatever means necessary to release the kids to a relative, friend, anyone who will take responsibility. We will usually try and call the spouse of the violator for such clearance, since we try not to rely on the judgment of someone who we feel is drunk.
If all else fails, we will contact Child Protective Services for temporary placement. They will handle contacting relatives or others to take the kids.
Wow. You learn something new everyday. I love AZ.

FreshTracks
10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Boatcop]First note: DUI in AZ with kids, age 15 or under, in the car is a FELONY! Automatically. Child Endangerment charges MAY be filed, but the act alone is enough for a Felony beef.
IMO- They are getting off easy. How about "attempted manslaughter"?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Bump

BadKachina
10-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I heard the penalty is an automatic year in jail for DUI with a child in the car?

upsman105
10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't thinks so a guy at work got one, it was automatic year suspension of driving privlages though.