PDA

View Full Version : prop release

pontkid
06-22-2001, 11:36 PM
I JUST PICKED UP A 68 HOWARD FLATBOTTOM,WITH A 455 PONTIAC AND WHAT I belive TO BE A CASALE V-DRIVE.there are no numbers or name on the unit,it looks to be polished off.How can i tell if it has a prop release or not?It has an in and out but no reverse.Also how can i tell what degree and gear ratio it is.THANKS.

superdave013
06-25-2001, 10:43 AM
Put it in gear. If you can tun the prop backwards is has a prop release. To tell what gear raito it has you can turn the top shaft one turn and see how far the bottom shaft goes around. The best way is to split the case and look at what is stamped on the gears. The gears should also have the angle on them.
I can send you some info on splitting the case / changing gears if you need it. I also make a bearing puller that makes it allot easier.

summerlove
06-25-2001, 07:30 PM
SD013:
Do you know anything about crusader v-drives? I have a 1967 18' campbell flatbottom with the crusader box. I know nothing about it???
Thanks.
Rick

superdave013
06-26-2001, 06:50 AM
summerlove,
I sure don't. Try asking that question on AZ Don's site. Someone there will http://www.v-drive.f2s.com/

spectras only
06-26-2001, 10:09 AM
summerlove,I only seen crusaders in bigger boats like Uniflite, Chris Craft etc...They made of cast iron and for commercial use.I would treat the Campbell with either a Hallcraft or Casale unit that fits the hotrod image better.You could get more info from boatshops,who deal with these boats.

MikeC
05-30-2002, 08:58 PM
Howdy, I don't know anything about V's but I have a question about a Shaft Release. What do ya all use them for, and can you dis-ingage it to run in neutral?
Thanks for any info,
MikeC

05-30-2002, 10:12 PM
I think I can help here...propshaft releases' can be detected by the 1.25" alum. spacer between the main case and the in/out housing. The shaft should be able to turn free one way and lock up the other way, that is another indicator. To answer MikeC's question, The shaft release is to prevent the lock-up of the propshaft in the event of the engine seizing, without it terrible things can happen and you don't want to be riding in the boat when they do.[and all you will be doing is going for a ride and probally going for a swim] As they say "Don't leave home without it"

MikeC
05-31-2002, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I sounds like what we call a JetAway in the Jet world. The differance is, the Shaft Release is allot shorter!
Thank you again,
MikeC